Cider not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
Made my first cider and thought I was gonna bottle tomorrow but when I checked it I discovered it hasn't cleared at all. I don't have my exact recipe cause I'm at work but I did 3 gallons of cider, some tannin, yeast energizer, and dry yeast. I can't remember if it was a wine or champagne yeast though. I didn't do any added sugar. It fermented well in primary for two weeks and then I moved to secondary and it's been there for three weeks. A little short for cider but since I didn't add any sugar I figured it would be ready by now. As you can see though it isn't clear so just looking for some advice.
f0ozvkgJj

If you had added pectic enzyme at the beginning, it would have cleared by now. I don't think it's effective after fermenting. If you can chill the cider it'll clear faster.

If you had added pectic enzyme at the beginning, it would have cleared by now. I don't think it's effective after fermenting. If you can chill the cider it'll clear faster.

You can use pectin enzyme any time. If it's a pectin haze, pectic enzyme will help clear it.

I'd give it some time, and try to put it someplace cooler. Even a drop of 10 degrees can really help a cider clear.

Probably not related to your question, but how much tannin did you add? Just curious.

It also depends on the pasteurization method used. If the raw cider was boiled or brought above a certain temperature limit (rookie, so I forgot the specific number), the pectins will set and the finished cider will stay hazy.

I don't have a ferm chamber to cool it unfortunately but it's in the basement and living in CO its starting to get cold. Hopefully that helps. Maybe I'll stop by my HBS and ask the owner about pectic enzyme. If it doesn't clear in a week or two can I bottle while its murky or wait longer?

And on the tannin I can't remember exactly but not much. Maybe a half a tbs for 3gallons.

I have no problem with hazy ciders/meads/beers.....if it tastes good, it is good. For personal consumption, don't worry too much about it (unless those you share with have an aversion to haze)....or give it time.

It's in the high 60s low 70s during the day. Low 40s at night. Basement is prolly low 60s

The more you cool the cider, the faster the yeast will drop. You could leave it outside overnight, or just keep it in the basement.

If you want it to clear really fast, just use some powdered gelatin from the baking section at your local supermarket. Probably a few spoons is enough, and just stir it around a bit then put the airlock back on.

Back