Changing temp of the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaburko

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have successfully brewed a few all-grain batches so far and now I wanted to try a Belgian Ale. However, the recipe calls for a variable temp of the mash, which is something I am not sure how to do with my gas burner. I was thinking that instead of doing incremental increases from 64c to 69c to stay at a constant 67c for 90 min. Would that dramatically impact the flavor?
I understand that alpha and beta amylase need different temps, but apparently 67c is convenient for both? Thoughts?

The reason for the step mash is for more attenuation with a malty finish. What I like to do is the reverse mash,where you mash in at 68c(154.4f) and cover with blankets and mash overnite. Mine drop to around 60-61c (140-141f). I have induction burners with 2 hour timers, so I turn on both boil and HLT and the mashout and sparge liquor are ready when I wake ( make coffee first). I do this for my Belgians and DIPAS or any one you need malty but dry. The Beta enzyme denatures over 69c (156f) so just keep it below that and it will go back into high gear when the temps drop. And don't worry about souring, not enough time. The other way is to look up How to Brew online and use his formulas for steping up with boiling liquor,just start with a 1:1 liquor to grain ratio.

Back