Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfej50

Reaction score
I like small batches and am thinking of a small batch BIAB. How is BIAB different from processing the specialty grains in an extract recipe? What I'm reading is that the grains are steeped in 150-155 degree water for 20-30 minutes. This seems to be the same directions as for the specialty grains. Am I missing something?

Assume you are doing extract with steeped specialty grains now? Process is basically the same, but with BIAB you are using all grain and no liquid or dry malt extract. It gives you better control over recipes.

With BIAB there are also 2 ways to do it. Mashing the grain in some water and then adding more water before the boil or full boil BIAB in which the grain and all the water go in one pot.

I also do small batches. 1.9 gal into the fermenter yealds three 6 packs. Here is an old video that shows the BIAB system. I've modifed it a little but it's the basic way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason specialty grain are "steeped" biab is mashing. Same- same. The major difference is that without LME or DME you need salt and yeast nutrient. They are both in the extract. Remember to Squeeze the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is the first I've heard that salt and yeast nutrients were required. My understanding is that the steeping of the specialty grains is to remove the sugars that are already there as those grains have already meen malted. The purpose of the mashing is to convert starches to sugar. Operationally, they may be the nearly the same except for the time required. Is this correct?

This is the first I've heard that salt and yeast nutrients were required. My understanding is that the steeping of the specialty grains is to remove the sugars that are already there as those grains have already meen malted. The purpose of the mashing is to convert starches to sugar. Operationally, they may be the nearly the same except for the time required. Is this correct?

The biggest difference is in the temperature. Steeping can be done over a wide range of temperatures, probably from 100 degrees to boiling. Mashing has a much closer range as the enzymes only work at a specific temperature range, usually about 145 to 160. Colder doesn't activate them, hotter destroyes them. Your water should supply the salts needed and mashing the grain will supply the yeast nutrients.

For some reason specialty grain are "steeped" biab is mashing. Same- same. The major difference is that without LME or DME you need salt and yeast nutrient. They are both in the extract. Remember to Squeeze the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Salt? Yeast nutrient? I've never added salt to my all grain beers. And since I use dry yeast I have no need for yeast nutrient either.

Mashing is steeping at a more specific temperature range....really not much difference at all.

With AG you are mashing, or "steeping at a specific temperature" to obtain all your fermentable sugars, with PM you are supplementing with malt extract.

That's about it...

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back