Bay Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but do either have Death and Taxes on draft?
tenor.gif

If they did the Reality Black or whatever the hell the “Black Pilsner” they made was called in cans hngngnngngn

Our prayers = answered. I’m taking some out of town friends to RR tomorrow. Looks like a lil stop by Moonlight is in ****ing order.
Incredible timing, although it seems like it's going to be just a little too late for the heatwave in the city, at least.

These heat waves are an eye-opener. One of the observations I've made since I've moved to California is how poorly insulated old apartment buildings are. Because of this poor insulation, heat from outdoors gets conducted through the building envelope at much higher rates. In addition to poor insulation, windows are often very poor quality and don't seal well. This is another source of heat gain. So how do we adapt? I've skimmed through a couple of bay area resilience plans and there just isn't enough movement in the short term to ramp up adaptation efforts. We probably won't see too much until folks start dying from heat stroke at epidemic rates.

These heat waves are an eye-opener. One of the observations I've made since I've moved to California is how poorly insulated old apartment buildings are. Because of this poor insulation, heat from outdoors gets conducted through the building envelope at much higher rates. In addition to poor insulation, windows are often very poor quality and don't seal well. This is another source of heat gain. So how do we adapt? I've skimmed through a couple of bay area resilience plans and there just isn't enough movement in the short term to ramp up adaptation efforts. We probably won't see too much until folks start dying from heat stroke at epidemic rates.
these heat waves to happen often enough in sf which is why there no movement

these heat waves to happen often enough in sf which is why there no movement

Climate change happens over a long temporal scale. We're already seeing the effects of it through increased droughts and wildfires. These heatwaves, and other erratic weather patterns, will likely become more frequent. This is why climate change mitigation and adaptation efforts are so difficult to implement. The cause (human behavior & development) and effect (climate change) aren't immediate.

We’ve always had heatwaves in the Bay Area. Most places that are more inland like Orinda, San Jose, Sonoma are equipped for it and folks have AC. Not really sure how it’s an eye opener. Short term adaptation plans? Lol we can’t even get high density housing built near transit centers.

We’ve always had heatwaves in the Bay Area. Most places that are more inland like Orinda, San Jose, Sonoma are equipped for it and folks have AC. Not really sure how it’s an eye opener. Short term adaptation plans? Lol we can’t even get high density housing built near transit centers.

Heatwaves have occurred in the past, yes, but the frequency in which they're occurring is rising. Visit this site:

https://cal-adapt.org/tools/extreme-heat/

You'll see the data for yourself.

What's eye-opening is that despite the observations and predictions, cities aren't making more of an effort to address resilience issues, whether it's climate change or the threat of earthquakes. Also, while I love AC, it's also a double-edged sword. They require massive amounts of energy and older units emit HFCs, another greenhouse gas. Not to mention, with all the shoddy building construction, AC units lose their effectiveness.

I agree on the lack of dense housing development. That's another development failure.

AC units contribute to climate change. insulation is good but AC is bad. we should all live in hobbit houses

change my mind.

AC units contribute to climate change. insulation is good but AC is bad. we should all live in hobbit houses

change my mind.
This is not really up for debate. Heating and cooling account for a majority of energy consumption in households. The goal is to find strategies to reduce that energy consumption and there are a different ways to go about that. One of them is to invest in building improvements, some of which I mentioned above. Another is through behavior change. I don't expect people to give up AC, and in a scenario where we're experiencing extreme heat events, it's more than reasonable to use them. However, there's a cost to to using them so we should be doing so wisely.

You’re ****in up the thread dawg.

I know. Apologies. These days, keeping up with craft beer trends has been relegated to a low position in terms of how I choose to allocate my mental resources. Chalk it up to limited $$$ and the rise of milkshake IPAs. The weekly rotation of haze cans can only hold my interest for so long.

Back