Anybody use Philly Sour in a cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent$$$

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of cider and thought it mite make for a good twist. But wanted to see if anyone has tried it first. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Hi mate,
Was just reading through some other cider forums to try to find if anyone has used Philly Sour yeast in cider, but not much here... did u ever give it a crack?
I've only ever used kit ciders, but have brewed and fermented sours, and really loving them (currently got 2 fermenting with lime+pineapple and passionfruit+pineapple), but am keen to give cider a go using maybe apple juice and ginger but doing one witha yeast usually used in cider and another with philly sour. I'd love to hear if you've got any advice?

I'm currently experimenting with this on a small batch (2Gal). I'll keep you posted if you haven't already gave it a go.

I'm currently experimenting with this on a small batch (2Gal). I'll keep you posted if you haven't already gave it a go.
Porter_Stout I have tried Philly Sour so I can’t comment.
I have used Imperial’s Sour Batch Kidz with great success. However, at 100% it’s waaaaay to strong. I blended it w traditional cider at a rate of 85% cider and 15% sour cider. Prior to blending I heated the sour batch in a pan to pasteurize then blended.

You may want to consider making a traditional batch to blend w the soured.

so it has finished the ageing and its amazing. the malic and lactic acid blend nicely. i used Kroger's brand juice 1 gallon and 1 oz. corn sugar. i kept it still next batch will be carbed up to see how the carbonic acid effects the taste

Latest posts

Back