Any ideas for wheat beer ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound002

Reaction score
Hey all! New to the hobby, and really don't have a lot of experience. I am looking into brewing a honey wheat beer. This project is probably a couple weeks away as I tweak a recipe. I am looking into doing a 2-3 gallon batch as I figure out what I do and do not like. Here are my thoughts, albeit incomplete:

Malt: Wheat extract, LME

Specialty Grains: Honey malt (do I need to add any others? Looking for a strong honey body)

Hops: Saaz as all three additions. *Very open here, looking for low IBUs but thinking about a little higher alpha acids in the last addition*

Yeast: Prefer Wyeast liquid yeast, which limits my options quite a bit. Also concerned about using Wyeast for such a small batch. Can I just pour in half of the pack?

As you can see, this is about as bare bones as it gets and I understand that. I am shooting for a honey wheat while using all USA grown products, hopefully making an American Honey Wheat beer. Who knows. I need the most input when it comes to the hops and yeast. Anyway, there are my (thoughtless) rambles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks brewers community! Cheers!

- Cody

I shoot for roughly half the fermentables to come from wheat with the balance from something else...usually just two row. I think this is what you will get from wear malt extract. I believe most are about half wheat and half some other base grain.

If I were you, I would input that into an online recipe calculator. I use brewtoad.com, although there are certainly others.

So choose a batch size of 2-3 gallons, whatever you want. Put in maybe half a pound of honey malt (someone else will have to help you with the exact amount...I've never brewed a honey beer, so I don't know how strong the flavor is). The rest of your fermentables will come from wheat LME. Add that until you get to the OG you want.

Add hops to get where you want. If you choose a style, most brewing software will tell you if you are "to style." I would recommend trying to stay to style, but shoot for the bottom I the range if you don't want it hoppy.

Finally, add a yeast. At least in brewtoad.com (btw, I'm not suggesting you use brewtoad, it's just what I use and I find it easy, free and good enough for what I need), you can type in wheat in the yeast search bar and it comes up with options. Choose whatever you'd like.

That should be about it. Good luck. Any more questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully what I described makes sense.

When I make my American Wheat, I dry hop with an ounce of Citra. I like that extra aroma.

I'll definitely check some recipe software, didn't even realize such a thing existed. I should have lol but thank you!

I'll look into dry hopping as well, I've considered Citra. Thank you!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Greyhound002 said:
I'll definitely check some recipe software, didn't even realize such a thing existed.

Yeah, and there are tons to choose from. I was going to put a quick list in this response, but I couldn't remember the name of one I was thinking of. I googled "beer recipe calculator" and there are tons of results.

Hey all! New to the hobby, and really don't have a lot of experience. I am looking into brewing a honey wheat beer. This project is probably a couple weeks away as I tweak a recipe. I am looking into doing a 2-3 gallon batch as I figure out what I do and do not like. Here are my thoughts, albeit incomplete:

Malt: Wheat extract, LME

Specialty Grains: Honey malt (do I need to add any others? Looking for a strong honey body)

Hops: Saaz as all three additions. *Very open here, looking for low IBUs but thinking about a little higher alpha acids in the last addition*

Yeast: Prefer Wyeast liquid yeast, which limits my options quite a bit. Also concerned about using Wyeast for such a small batch. Can I just pour in half of the pack?

As you can see, this is about as bare bones as it gets and I understand that. I am shooting for a honey wheat while using all USA grown products, hopefully making an American Honey Wheat beer. Who knows. I need the most input when it comes to the hops and yeast. Anyway, there are my (thoughtless) rambles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks brewers community! Cheers!

- Cody

Are you looking for a specific recipe?

This is a pretty solid summer beer for a 2.5-3 gallon:

1 can wheat LME
4-8 oz specialty grain (crystal, honey malt, etc.)

15g Saaz at 60
15g Saaz at 15

I used US-05 slurry, so Wyeast 1056 is the same, I think.

I like to use a kolsch yeast for my wheat beers. it makes a nice clean crisp slightly different wheat beer.

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Wasn't so much looking for a recipe but those numbers were what I was looking at. Sounds delicious, can't wait! I'll look into the yeast suggestions. Thanks yall!

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Back