Hops for Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I’ve been making a honey wheat that has no late addition hops as I wanted the honey to stand out. But my wife and I have succumbed to the need for hops and despite appreciating most beer styles we really just want an IPA. I’m tired of beer sitting around unopened so I’m shifting gears here.

I’m looking for it to be around 35-45 IBUs and wondered if anyone had suggestions for hops that would pair well. I figured Lemon Drop might be a good fit I’m just not that fond of lemon. Floral? Citrusy?

So you're looking for hops that will pair with honey wheat for about 40 ibu, or a wheat ipa, or what? Not really getting what you're going for.

I like a hoppy wheat beer despite having not brewed one in about 10 years. Here’s what I’d do:

50/50 wheat and pale 2-row
Amarillo hops
60-70% of IBU’s @ 60 minutes
20-30% of IBU’s @ 10 minutes
Remainder of IBU’s @ FO

It’s tasty, refreshing, hoppy and wheaty.

Simple is often better.

So you're looking for hops that will pair with honey wheat for about 40 ibu, or a wheat ipa, or what? Not really getting what you're going for.
More like a hoppy pale ale as I don’t want the hops to dominate. I figure the honey flavor could easily be overwhelmed.

I like a hoppy wheat beer despite having not brewed one in about 10 years. Here’s what I’d do:

Amarillo hops
Remainder of IBU’s @ FO

Simple is often better.
So citrusy? I do like Amarillo!

Amarillo hops
Remainder of IBU’s @ FO

Simple is often better.
The way I’ve been approaching my hoppy beers, including most IPAs, is to bitter to 15-20 IBUs and use the rest as late additions.

Sure, a little citrus-y. I don’t get those big grapefruit flavors from Amarillo that I get with cascade or centennial and find Amarillo more pleasant but there’s citrus there.

Also, I think a touch of honey could work but it might clash with the hops. A little bit of honey as fermentation is winding down might do the trick. Or, a small % of honey malt.

Sure, a little citrus-y. I don’t get those big grapefruit flavors from Amarillo that I get with cascade or centennial and find Amarillo more pleasant but there’s citrus there.

Also, I think a touch of honey could work but it might clash with the hops. A little bit of honey as fermentation is winding down might do the trick. Or, a small % of honey malt.
I use a bit of honey malt along with honey at flameout. It’s been one of two big favorites so I figured I’d just make it hoppy. The other’s a jalapeño blonde, but I’m not too sure about adding hops to that as it’s pretty dadgum good as is. I also make a version with smoked grains and jalapeños and it’s also great.

Sonnet: floral/herbal EKG, but folks (me too) report honeysuckle notes
Pilgrim: spice/honey
First Gold: floral/orange marmalade
Lorien: floral/spice/citrus/hay
Bergamot: orange (OAF = orange as ...)

All of these (except maybe the Sonnet) will likely be a bit tricky to find, but they're worth some trouble.

Sonnet: floral/herbal EKG, but folks (me too) report honeysuckle notes
Pilgrim: spice/honey
First Gold: floral/orange marmalade
Lorien: floral/spice/citrus/hay
Bergamot: orange (OAF = orange as ...)

All of these (except maybe the Sonnet) will likely be a bit tricky to find, but they're worth some trouble.
I’ve not heard of any of these. Some of them sound quite interesting. Thanks!

Back