Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
72310_bass-drop-cropped.gif

YOU HAVE NEVER WATCHED A HOCKEY GAME.

That looks more like a rave to me. That girl looks like she's high on ecstasy. No hockey game has ever been that enthralling.

TV. A television is news, weather, and the occasional movie night with my wife. I do not understand getting wrapped up in a series on TV or watch something every night. My wife does this and I simply can not grasp it. I will sit with her for a little while but I have to tune it out pretty quick and either fire up the laptop to do some work, check email, or check a forum. Even that does not last long since I eventually have to get up and go do something. I would rather be working on a project in the garage, cooking something in the kitchen, or fixing/cleaning something in the house.

Going to the movies. Again my wife loves it so I go on occasion but it is pretty pointless and ridiculous to me. I am going to pay far to much money to sit in a room next to a bunch of people I do not know for the pleasure of walking on sticky floors and a large screen??? I will wait until it is available on DVD thanks.

Church/Religion. A persons beliefs or spirituality is a personal matter in my opinion. Dogmatic religion, religious practices, and regular attendance to religious service just seems ridiculous to me. Why would you wish to spend your time going to a religious service to sit with a bunch of people you probably do not know all that well and have someone tell you how to interpret religious writings/books or worse yet how to live your life.

Golf. It is just stupid really. Not much more to be said on this one.

Owning/keeping exotic pets such as reptiles or spiders. As a dog owner I want to leave room for cats and dogs since they can show some level of loyalty/affection/appreciation and they can be trained in some way. Keeping a snake in a cage or a fish in a tank just seems pointless. I guess it could be considered living artwork if it is a colorful or pretty animal but still, hand a picture or something. I even question the keeping of dogs and cats many times. I do not know that I will get another dog when my last one passes. I just think we have gone to far with breeding for traits, color, coat types. We keep animals in cages, pens, kennels, fenced yards, and rooms in our homes for our benefit and convenience not theirs.

Bathroom reading material - Spending time on the throne. Get in, get done, get out. It takes a matter of moments to take care of business. Toilets are not exactly comfortable and bathrooms are not rooms designed for rest and relaxation. Why would you want to sit and read a magazine on an uncomfortable seat. Why would you want to sit with the paper marinating in your own odor.

Owning a vacation home/property. When I want to vacation or travel I want to see and experience something new. I want to visit some place I have not had the opportunity to visit before. I spend enough time taking care of and maintaining my primary home. Why in the hell would I want a second home to take care of. Most importantly why would I want to go to the same place over and over again every time I have long weekends or a weeks vacation to spend. They have these places that are maintained year round by other people but they are available for you to visit and stay, they are called hotels, motels, cabins, resorts, B&B's, or lodges. You can pay them a fraction of what a property would cost you every year to own and maintain and they let you stay there, heck some of them will even give you food while you are there.

Owning a vacation home/property. When I want to vacation or travel I want to see and experience something new. I want to visit some place I have not had the opportunity to visit before. I spend enough time taking care of and maintaining my primary home. Why in the hell would I want a second home to take care of. Most importantly why would I want to go to the same place over and over again every time I have long weekends or a weeks vacation to spend. They have these places that are maintained year round by other people but they are available for you to visit and stay, they are called hotels, motels, cabins, resorts, B&B's, or lodges. You can pay them a fraction of what a property would cost you every year to own and maintain and they let you stay there, heck some of them will even give you food while you are there.

Too right! We have a tent and now that we're older we have cots for the tent. The best trips we take are; load up the gear, pick a direction, drive until we want to stop, set up camp and explore/forage the area. Next trip new direction or back road.

Forgot one, Duck Dynasty. Hope they would all die in some non-glamorous accident so I never have to hear another reference about them.

Big office "goodbye" lunches. What is the point of going to some crap restaurant because it's Steve's last day? He's going to sit way at the other end of the giant table, I'm going to sit with my friends and talk to them, and the waitress is just going to roll her eyes when we want separate bills - like she didn't see this coming.

And other thing - it's f**king 2013. It's not my fault the restaurant industry hasn't yet figured out a simple way for servers to provide separate bills. Cry me a river if I don't want to get shafted paying for the other idiots at my table who want that bottle of expensive wine I'm not drinking.

For lack of a better description, I'll call it the "King of the Hill" syndrome. A lot of neighbors on our street hang out at the curb, drinking a beer and BSing. Maybe it's because I'm getting to old to stand around and drink when I have seating on my porch, patio and deck. More likely it's because I don't like most of my neighbors though ;)

Hey, wait a minute...

And tomahawks are cool.

Here's what I don't get, and you 'mericans all seem to enjoy doing it:
Chanting "USA! USA!" when your team made up primarily of Canadians is playing another team, also made up primarily of Canadians.

It's not our fault that the acronym for our country is so wonderfully chantable. Just another way in which we are blessed, and probably superior to everyone else!:p

New England sports fans. 10 years ago when all their teams sucked no one cared. Now all teams are good so people started to admit to being from there and talking with a masshole accent and be *****es about anyone else

City life. I've worked in and around DC and now baltimore. Why would any one enjoy a place where it regularly takes 30 mins to drive 1 mile

Movies. They have been the same thing since the 90's only subtle differences

BMC. Why drink flavourless coloured water to get drink especially if it takes 15+. By then I have to pee too much to want any more and I'm tired

It's not our fault that the acronym for our country is so wonderfully chantable. Just another way in which we are blessed, and probably superior to everyone else!:p

You're missing the point.

It makes zero sense. During the Olympics, go for it.

I guess this is why it happens though. People like you :)

Shooter said:

Ida-know, Can-uks Can-uks has a nice ring to it.

The consensus seems to be 'everything sux except beer and pets'.

While I agree with most of the comments, Vegas is entirely awesome if only for the people watching.

Something I didn't see listed:
Those tissue paper things people put on toilet seats. Are you f'n kidding me? Just sit down, the seat is cleaned more often than the stall handle.

Making the bed....COME ON....the single most POINTLESS activity anyone can every do. I even get mad when I see other people's bed made.

Although, I am just realizing this thread is about activities 'everyone seems to enjoy' but me, and I am assuming most people don't enjoy this, so its not very applicable to this thread, but I am leaving it...

I still can't wrap my head fully around the idea of team fandom. Not enjoying I'm not saying I disapprove of it, mind you, but I dont "get it".

Lets say you are a Mets fan. You like to wear the hat and the t-shirt, you like to go to the games, you like to cheer them on, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but why do you do it? Is it because you grew up in Queens, where the team originally "comes from"? When I found out some years ago that you dont have to live or to have ever lived in Queens or even New York State to be a player for the Mets my mind was blown. What's the point? What makes the Mets a New York team? Where the stadium is? Arent some New York teams playing in their "home" arena in frigging NEW JERSEY? So if the players arent from New York and the stadium isnt in New York it cant be New York pride that makes you a Mets fan.

Ok so its something else. Maybe its the players themselves. But they can only play, what, 20 years tops before they have to retire? So technically, as a fan of a team full of players you like, you are almost guarenteed to see a day that the team with the same name that you have been a fan of will have no players on it that had originally earned your fandom. Do you blindly remain a fan of the team even though all the new players might not be to your liking, or do you choose another team to be a fan of until your original team gets its act together? Maybe its the coach, he tends to stick around a long time. But wouldnt that just make you a fan of the coach, not the team? Maybe its the mascot. I don't know. None of this makes a lot of sense to me.

I understand enjoying a sporting event itself (even if the idea of going to a baseball game makes me cringe) and I understand you have to be invested in SOMETHING to enjoy the game/event in front of you, but how do you make that determination?

we have a lot of fanatics here that say "we" when referring to the teams. they don't seem to understand they they are not part of the team in any way.

I know it's been said before but I hate Shopping! My Wife, Daughters, MIL. SIL all love shopping and I can't stand it. I know what I want before I go in, I go and get it, I pay for it and then get the flock out!
The females of the family can take hours even thogh they only originally went in for 1 item, they will come out with 4 bags of stuff.:mad::confused::mad:
I don't understand it.

I just read the whole thread in David Sedaris' voice, it was just like listening to This American Life.

That reminds me; I hate commercial radio. Crap music and commercials. I'll take my occasional pledge drive over that.

Making the bed....COME ON....the single most POINTLESS activity anyone can every do. I even get mad when I see other people's bed made.

Although, I am just realizing this thread is about activities 'everyone seems to enjoy' but me, and I am assuming most people don't enjoy this, so its not very applicable to this thread, but I am leaving it...

Another brother in the revolution! Resist! Resist! :rockin:

I just read the whole thread in David Sedaris' voice, it was just like listening to This American Life.

That reminds me; I hate commercial radio. Crap music and commercials. I'll take my occasional pledge drive over that.

I've taken a liking to "listener supported radio" lately.

I enjoy the end but dislike the task most days, some days i find it is a nice bonding moment for me and the wife.

Another brother in the revolution! Resist! Resist! :rockin:

I've taken a liking to "listener supported radio" lately.

It started for me about six years ago. I just realized, I'm 26 years old and 5 of my 6 radio presets in my car are either NPR stations, or listener supported music stations. I guess it's time to go volvo shopping.

kaboom133 said:

Definitely, I have my very own GPB traveller mug and SWMBO has the NPR tote bag! Today's Saturday, Wait Wait is almost on!

I have no interest in playing golf, which--as an engineer--is not only unusual but probably a detriment to my career. The golf course is where all the networking, schmoozing with clients and such takes place. Hell, I have friends who have gotten new jobs and big raises by talking to consultants at the golf outings. I find neither the golfing or the schmoozing appealing.

Then again, it's also a socially acceptable excuse to bail out of work before noon on a nice day and go drinking outdoors. I could get down with that part.

I also share Creamy's dislike for strip clubs. Usually, when I tell people that, they assume I have moral objections to the concept. That isn't really it. I'd say that most of the women there are doing so because they want to be, not because they were forced into it or whatever. If that's how they want to make a living, great.

It's more like: if you can't pick up a woman normally and are going to pay one to pretend to be attracted to you for a few hours, why not go all-out and just hire a hooker? At least then you won't go home broke and blue-balled. One of my buddies who has questionable attitudes towards women and visits such places tells me that isn't really the point; it's more of another place to go drink for a while, and the girls are just eye candy. Again I say, why bother?

First of all, baby pictures. Eff, baby pictures especially from first time mothers. I am friends with three new mothers on Facebook. Had to take them off the news feed. Talk about incessant. If I wanted to look at 87 pictures a day of a baby in different poses I would ask for 87 pictures a day. All this while all three new babies are in the same exact poses but each mother thinks their kid is unique. This doesn't just go for new mothers. Even if your kid is ten years old. The occasional picture may be fine. Multiple times a day? Not so fine.

On that note. Baby headbands. WTF is the deal with baby headbands. does a little girl baby sweat alot? Holy stupid.

Still on that note, mothers who have no other interest except their children. Did they have kids because they were bored? Get a hobby!

GIFS in threads. Why? They slow my crap up especially on my stupid phone. Just find a damn picture, there are billions of them on the interwebs, certainly one will suit your need.

Next up, the NY Mets. Really, does anyone care about the Mets? There are like 18 of you out there. If the Mets folded and threw all 18 of you a hundred bucks to become a Cardinals fan, I suggest you take it because they occasionally win a game. You guys had two great years, two good years, one okay year and the rest in the gutter.

Religion and Republicans, but there are other threads for these subjects.

I am not all that angry or cynical at the moment so I may think of a few more later.

Those of use who could care less about sports are like those who do not understand or like homebrew. When I start talking to SWMBO about something about brewing, I get that glazed look I give when someone tells me the batting average of a baseball player.:)

RVs- middle-aged coworkers who work 6 days a week buying 50k campers to sit in the woods hours away and get bit by bugs on a parcel that costs them 2k/yr to rent.

Car racing - Spent 3x the cars value to add 400 hp and it still moves like a boat.

Garage sales - This stuff is junk, why not just give it away?

Travel - Huge expense to be around miserable people somewhere else.

Grocery/department stores - stop buying the cheapest item possible. Stores aren't even stocking stuff worth buying anymore.

Those of use who could care less about sports are like those who do not understand or like homebrew. When I start talking to SWMBO about something about brewing, I get that glazed look I give when someone tells me the batting average of a baseball player.:)

Yeah, I get that. Brewing can require a lot of science and, shall we say, specialized knowledge, and I realize that not everyone finds it interesting. I usually tiptoe into any discussion of beer and homebrewing with people I'm not familiar with, and wait to geek out until I know they have the same interest in it. Yet I still find myself zoning out when I have to listen to an endless recitation of sports stats. I guess people assume I'm interested because I'm a guy, I don't know.

On the strip clubs I haven't been to one in 10+ years. When I say I don't go and don't have any desire to people say. I need to loosen the chain from the wife some. And I say no they're a waste of time and money. And they think I'm lying

On the strip clubs I haven't been to one in 10+ years. When I say I don't go and don't have any desire to people say. I need to loosen the chain from the wife some. And I say no they're a waste of time and money. And they think I'm lying

I look at it as forgetting your wallet having no money and looking at a collection of Craft beers :(

98% of the people in this world that I encounter, and that's probably being generous. And I'm a nice guy, I swear!

That looks more like a rave to me. That girl looks like she's high on ecstasy. No hockey game has ever been that enthralling.

Looks to me like she's not nearly happy enough to be on ecstasy. Someone said here, have some acid at the rave, the lights will make it awesome! > Bad trip guaranteed to ensue <

You really believe it's that low. With what 3.3 billion people you will what to be with a full 2%, you sir are a better man than I.;)

Yeah that's still what 66 million people I claim I might like? I was way off. I guess it's more like 100% minus .0000000000000000000000000001%.

Just what kind of skittling are these teenagers doing? It appears to have numerous meanings. I don't think I'd enjoy any of them.

Camping? WTF?

I'm not talking about taking a backpack and heading off into the wilderness to commune with nature.

Family camping. Going somewhere with a big-ass tent (or a camper or RV for that matter) and working your ass off to be inconvenienced. Most the time people go off to some ****ty campground and have to put up with camping neighbors. Again WTF?

Where is the joy in that

ColoHox said:
Craftbrew fests that turn into fratboy binge drinking parties. I love the beer, but as soon as I see a couple of wasted, birkenstock wearing, plastic neon sunglasses sporting, d-bags...I stop what I'm doing (finish the beer in my hand) and go home.

A effin men. I paid big bucks to go to GABF and enjoy, sample, and ask questions. But it ended up being a bunch of frat boys screaming, puking, spilling on me and my cousin, and being all around rude. I was sooo po'd.

Latest posts

Back