Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate facebook. My wife's is on it all the time. Drives me crazy..
Fantasy sports. I don't get it. I'm in my mid 40's and my friends love it.
NASCAR is painful to watch.

There's a million others, but those are the worst..

I hate playing video games. They are the most boring things on the planet to me. I grew up in the 70s/80s, so they weren't really around then, but the ones that were (Pong, Atari, Coleco) bored me to death. My kids have XBOX and Nintendo systems. I've tried to get into them, but after about 10 minutes I'm done. I just don't get the appeal.

Maybe when the virtual reality helmets come out I'll feel differently.

Also, I hate watching any Hollywood/Music award show. My wife loves them. To me it's just a bunch of spoiled people congratulating each other for being wonderful. the Red Carpet walk is the worst. Gag!!

That reminds me- TV.

I don't "get" it. People come home from work, and turn on a machine with inane chatter and random laughter called "shows" and keep it on until they go to bed or fall asleep. They sit in front of this magic box for hours. They ignore their loved ones and stay in front of the TV and also mindlessly eat junk food.

Many even pay $50-75 a month (or more!) for a bigger variety of brain rotting material and even more opportunities to ignore their spouses. Sometimes, they even put these in additional rooms so their loved ones can also do the same thing (alone).

I didn't get it as a kid, and I don't get it now. I have no idea who 'celebrities' are, or why being on TV shows is the least bit interesting to anybody.

I DO love the "magic box" in my house though, called the "Computer". :D

People come home from work, and turn on a machine with inane chatter and random laughter called "shows" and keep it on until they go to bed or fall asleep. They sit in front of this magic box for hours. They ignore their loved ones and stay in front of the TV and also mindlessly eat junk food.

Sounds dangerously similar to what I do with HBT on my laptop...minus the junkfood.

They sit in front of this magic box for hours. They ignore their loved ones and stay in front of the TV and also mindlessly eat junk food.

You paint a pretty picture there Yoop! Alas, last night my evening consisted of bath and shower cleaning. Tonight, it's another spirited evening. I'll start with the normal pounding down of my "dinner" while I stand over the kitchen sink, probably start the laundry next. After that, there's a toilet upstairs that could use some fixin'!

Livin' the dream my friends...livin' the dream! ;)

Taking long poops. I know people who will take a magazine to the bathroom and spend a good 30-45 minutes in there... I like to get in and get out. Life's too short for lengthy poo's!

ditto for long showers. Taking a shower is an inconvenience to me. I'm in, clean, and out in less than 5 minutes, including drying off.

I am on the same page with the OP. I do like to walk in a good remote park if it has a lake or stream and is relatively devoid of other people.

I don't get Homeowner's Associations.

The thread here on HBT about the guy in Irvine who is getting crap from his HOA for homebrewing out in his garage? That is exactly what I don't understand. Why would you want to pay someone for telling you what you can't do in your own home? It makes no sense to me at all. That, and even if you're on the board of an HOA, you as an individual homeowner don't really have much control over HOA dues. If the board decides they need to double everyone's fees from $200 to $400, then so be it you are stuck with this albatross of a house and it's even harder to sell now because prospective buyers will take a look at your monthly fee and balk. Want to do some custom plumbing or wiring in your house? Not without HOA approval! Why should you be able to do things to your own property without their permission?

For all these reasons, I hate HOAs with a passion.

The thread here on HBT about the guy in Irvine who is getting crap from his HOA for homebrewing out in his garage? That is exactly what I don't understand. Why would you want to pay someone for telling you what you can't do in your own home? It makes no sense to me at all. That, and even if you're on the board of an HOA, you as an individual homeowner don't really have much control over HOA dues. If the board decides they need to double everyone's fees from $200 to $400, then so be it you are stuck with this albatross of a house and it's even harder to sell now because prospective buyers will take a look at your monthly fee and balk. Want to do some custom plumbing or wiring in your house? Not without HOA approval! Why should you be able to do things to your own property without their permission?

Not a huge fan of hoa's either. I had an issue with ours a few years back for having a few chairs outside of the garage, where we like to sit and relax. But, as long as they don't overstretch their "power" they are good. Ever driven through a neighborhood without an hoa? Looks like s**t.

Ever driven through a neighborhood without an hoa? Looks like s**t.

I drive through non-HOA neighborhoods all the time. Some look like crap, and some don't. At least they tend to have some character. HOA neighborhoods, however, tend to look like cookie-cutter nightmares straight out of Stepford to me.

I drive through non-HOA neighborhoods all the time. Some look like crap, and some don't. At least they tend to have some character. HOA neighborhoods, however, tend to look like cookie-cutter nightmares straight out of Stepford to me.

Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky...

Last edited by a moderator:
People who ***** about everything.

If you ***** as good as Creamy, ***** away. After his detailed explanations for why things annoy him, I'd like to see everyone else put a little more effort into their kvetching.

Around here (my corner of TN, not HBT), people seem to really enjoy going to church and hating people who are different than they are. I don't care much for doing either.

Disc golf is great. :ban:

Watching sports. If I wanted to watch a sport, I'd play one and watch what I was doing.

NASCAR is bullcrap. Those ain't stock cars.

HOAs are bullcrap. Neighborhoods that don't have one looking like crap is bullcrap.

Going to the movies. The exception here is movie taverns on weekdays, and even then it's only once in a great while. Other than that, it's too much money to sit in a crappy chair, listen to crappy speakers turned up too high, snacks too far away and too expensive, crappy people and all around crap.

Bars. I used to like going to Fat City and the Quarter. It's fun going to the Stockyards now and then, but mostly it's just over priced drinks and trying not to get a DUI. And it gets crowded. And loud. Okay, and I like going to a Flying Saucer sometimes.

The mall. Burn that fuqqer down and make a disc golf course. Or leave it up and make an indoor DG course.

Pooping. I like having the task completed, but doing it is crappy.

Going to the gym. Working out there is ok, but actually traversing to the gym might as well be waterboarding. Once I'm there I'm fine but leaving the house is almost impossible.

And I hate running for exercise. I have ran several miles in a sitting playing football, or soccer or baseball or tag. But just running for the sake of exercising might as well put weights in my shoes with how slow I'll be jogging intentionally.

With you 100%. I lived on the Jersey shore for a long time, and I would be perfectly happy never seeing the beach again. Unfortunately my wife loves it.
Your problem is you are going to a beach North of North Carolina!

The best beaches on the east coast are in NC. Miles of white sand with no people....you can sit on the beach in the nude sipping a home brew without anyone close enough to notice.

The thread here on HBT about the guy in Irvine who is getting crap from his HOA for homebrewing out in his garage? That is exactly what I don't understand. Why would you want to pay someone for telling you what you can't do in your own home? It makes no sense to me at all.

Want to do some custom plumbing or wiring in your house? Not without HOA approval! Why should you be able to do things to your own property without their permission?

Agreed 100%! I spent 6 months looking for my house before I found it because the main condition to buying was 1. No Subdivisions 2. No HOAs!

Jase on Duck Dynasty does a good job of expressing my opinions:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching any sport played with a ball. I mean, it might be fun to actually play the game, but watching it? No thank you.

Suntanning. Why on earth would anyone willingly lay in the sun, doing nothing but sweating & working on a nice case of melanoma? I get enough sun when I'm working in the garden, mowing the lawn or hiking.

Strip clubs. Now don't get me wrong, I like naked women, let me rephrase that, I like good looking naked women, but getting teased & paying $6 for BMC crap beer, with theend result of going home all worked up & alone? No.

Highschool reunions. I didn't like most of those people when I was there, why the hell would I want see them again? Highschool is OVER people, grow up & get a life in the present!

There's more, but this will do for now.
Regards, GF.

Sports in general... I mean I will watch a game with friends but I don't really care, don't know the players, owners, coaches names...I could care less and don't understand people saying STUPID STUFF on MOnday as if they played the game or could have done better than the professionals.

The dumbest thing is to use the term "WE" in relation to a team you don't play on and not assocaited to in any way.

I played sports and if you were not on the field I think you were not part of "WE", I might make an exception for non-professional sports like your high school or college but they saying "WE" when you root for a college team that you did not even attend is also moronic...

Your problem is you are going to a beach North of North Carolina!

The best beaches on the east coast are in NC. Miles of white sand with no people....you can sit on the beach in the nude sipping a home brew without anyone close enough to notice.

I dunno, I lived in NC for several years and dated some girls from the coast (one GF from Wilmington, one from Beaufort, and another from New Bern) and while what you say may be true, I'd be hard-pressed to find a stretch of beach that actually fit your description that wasn't also miles from any access roads.

I like opera, but would not go to it. Otherwise I agree.

I dunno, I lived in NC for several years and dated some girls from the coast (one GF from Wilmington, one from Beaufort, and another from New Bern) and while what you say may be true, I'd be hard-pressed to find a stretch of beach that actually fit your description that wasn't also miles from any access roads.

You are the wrong beach. I like the Wilmington area but it's still a commercialized beach experience. The place I am talking about is The Outerbanks between Nags Head and Cape Hatteras and especially Ocacroke Island! I've stood on the beach on Ocracoke with no living thing for 5 miles in either direction! Granted Ocracoke requires a ferry to get to but Hatteras is connected by NC-12 all the way to the mainland. :mug:

Back