Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard NC beaches are nice. And I'll admit that I didn't mind the bright blue-green beaches when I took an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Neither of those is a weekend activity for me though. When people want to go to the beach here it's like hanging out in a sewer. Gross brown water from LI Sound just collecting and growing stagnant.

I've thought of another one. Now, I enjoy the invigorating sensation of a robust nasal cleansing as much as the next man, but, let's face it gents, the science of nasal irrigation has progressed by leaps and bounds over the course of the last decade. If I have to read one more person's online discussion of the wonders of their neti pot, I might finally become the raving lunatic you all picture me to be somewhere in the recesses of your corrupt little noggins!

Are you referring to table tennis? You will be hearing from the lawyers of the USATT regarding your libelous comments.

Good day sir!

I said GOOD DAY!!!

My HOT new GF is a bad ass at table tennis. She and the 70 year old asian guys she plays would beat the "ping pong" guy blindfolded. I can barely see the ball, much less hit it.

Granted ignorance is the name of the game in this thread.

All parks suck? All beaches suck? Preposterous.

Ping Pong just hit a nerve.

I've heard NC beaches are nice. And I'll admit that I didn't mind the bright blue-green beaches when I took an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Neither of those is a weekend activity for me though. When people want to go to the beach here it's like hanging out in a sewer. Gross brown water from LI Sound just collecting and growing stagnant.

I used to go to the beach in Stamford, CT. So you're not a fan of the smell of rotting seaweed wafting up onto the beach?

DPBISME said:
Sports in general... I mean I will watch a game with friends but I don't really care, don't know the players, owners, coaches names...I could care less and don't understand people saying STUPID STUFF on MOnday as if they played the game or could have done better than the professionals.

The dumbest thing is to use the term "WE" in relation to a team you don't play on and not assocaited to in any way.

I played sports and if you were not on the field I think you were not part of "WE", I might make an exception for non-professional sports like your high school or college but they saying "WE" when you root for a college team that you did not even attend is also moronic...

You need to watch the Mitchell & Webb Look season 2 episode 6 that agrees with this sentiment. "Football"

Ranting online in relative anonymity. Seriously? Isn't that what family/friends/loved ones are for?

Oh, and "The Arts". I don't get it. But I generally support it because not everybody can have a real job, and lots of other people must like it, so...

Nope. Not mine anyhow. Their opinions are stupid and wrong.

I would, however, watch the holy bejoobus out of Pro Thunder Ball. I'd even pay for season tickets right off the gun circle.

Cities to me are oppressive - the noise, the people, the filth; it's just a crushing blow to my senses. Anchorage is too big for me at almost 300K people and where I live in Eagle River, a little over 22K is too many people. To this day my Wife is amused by how tense my hands will get on the steering wheel when we go into Anchorage and how much my body relaxes the further we get away from "civilization".

Sports, on TV or in Person - I cannot abide just sitting and watching any sport, involving balls, cars, boats or anything. In most cases that's at least 2 hours of my life I am not getting back.

the Beach/Tanning - Why? Sitting/laying on the Beach doing effectively nothing, maybe run out into the water to swim a bit. Again time I can't get back.

TV - only do it in the winter and that is what I have DVDs for; mostly, I read voraciously and listen to a very wide and eclectic music collection. Even then I still prefer to go ice fishing or winter rabbit hunting.

Celebrities - Sports or Entertainment type, don't know who you are, don't care about what you endorse or are against, if you don't like the publicity, you chose poorly for your life's work.

Anybody who is unwilling to try something new! My folks raised me to be willing to attempt anything and that I was not necessarily a failure if I wasn't succesful. What it meant was that I should go on to something else or if I really wanted to succeed at whatever it is, practice more. This includes sports, hobbies, jobs, I even carried it over into eating and different cultural experiences!

I'll probably think of more later but this is a good start.

m_c_zero said:
Taking long poops. I know people who will take a magazine to the bathroom and spend a good 30-45 minutes in there... I like to get in and get out. Life's too short for lengthy poo's!

My bad, I thought that was the whole purpose for the iPad app. I'm like a Rodin sculpture, well not thinking exactly.

Your problem is you are going to a beach North of North Carolina!

The best beaches on the east coast are in NC. Miles of white sand with no people....you can sit on the beach in the nude sipping a home brew without anyone close enough to notice.

I don't like people in general. Especially people who snitch about secret beaches. tell them to go to Virginia beach not NC:D
Edit : People who want to talk about to book your reading while your reading it. People who see you fishing a ask " Any luck? the answer is always no it will never change. Llb Art Majors. People in HR and people in unions and unions in general and anarchist. Most anarchist are little winy tw@ts that think anarchy is beating up cars and busting out windows. Almost shot one in Asheville in 2010 he was hitting cars with a bat and carrying a tommahawk WTF? coming my way but, lucky for me and him, he turned and ran only to be arrested short time later. Scared the crap out of me. I don't like tommahawks now.

The Jersey Shore. People around here go batsh!t over it and it eludes me.

Oh, and I really do not like s'mores. I'd rather sit back and watch the fire dance (while drinking a beer) than roast a marshmallow, squeeze it between stale graham crackers & chocolate and then try to eat it without getting a sugar glazed face. Plus, they don't really taste that good.

well, the OP said "everybody else seems to enjoy"....which seems different than "what do you hate". so, I'll say TV (in general) like subsailor. although, I must watch college football and "game of thrones".

Baths who wants to sit in their own filth. Crowds, groups, gathers, keeps me form most beer advents that and the D-bags who couldn't tell the difference between hop bitterness and malt sweetness, but tell you how wonderful this beer is and why it's $$$$ Lately listening to my older sister talk about their mutt's puppies.

For lack of a better description, I'll call it the "King of the Hill" syndrome. A lot of neighbors on our street hang out at the curb, drinking a beer and BSing. Maybe it's because I'm getting to old to stand around and drink when I have seating on my porch, patio and deck. More likely it's because I don't like most of my neighbors though ;)

I think the majority of mine were on the first page.

UFC fighting. Don't care.
Topless/exotic dancers. Same as Creamy's reasons.
Vegas/gambling. Never cared for it, would rather watch my money burn. And Vegas, well if I don't gamble Vegas pretty well is pointless. Which I realized after I got there.

I have a few others but these are the main ones.

I'm surprised nobody has said "kids on my lawn" and "the rap music". :D Seriously though, I love this thread. Who knew we agree on so many things?!

I can't stand Hockey. Before the Bruins won the Stanley Cup a couple years ago, no one ever talked about hockey except close-talkin drunks at the bar. Now, I work with customers and I got to hear about one of the most boring, dragged out sports on earth, all day. Are there 73 playoff games, or does it just seem like it? No I don't watch "soccer on ice", and I don't think 40 saves are incredible. I would almost rather watch baseball.

Creamy, I do believe you may have just started one of the longest running rant threads around. Cheers, this shall be good reading? I think Ill grab another drink and sit back, this should be interesting!

For the record, I dont really get alot of activities people find enjoying, but then again I really dont care what other people do, as long as it doesnt interfere with what I like to do.And if it does I'll find somewhere else to go.

Also, when people start rambling about sports stats I like to try to figure out a topic that they dont know and ask them questions. Passive agressive, yup, fun, for sure. My default is, "soory this is off topic but do you know who our state representative is, I was thinking of writing a letter" If they know it Great, than we can talk about my pretend concern, if they dont than I can change the topic and still talk about my pretend concern, Win Win, and I dont have to bring up how Gladiators and Rome correlate.

I can't say I entirely dislike Facebook, Twitter, and the like seeing as I have them and use them, but people obsessing over them on their phones while hanging out with others gets really old really fast. I was under the impression that social media was for keeping in touch with people, not replacing them.

Facebook is OK in my book, only because I can follow my LHBS on it and see what's on tap for that day and make requests on things I'd like ordered or in-stock queries. Also, I get a few web comic updates on it. But the other 99.9% of it is dumb. I think my least favorite is when people take pictures of their dinner or something and post it, for no good reason. Holy crap. You ate dinner. File that in the don't care pile.

Facebook is OK in my book, only because I can follow my LHBS on it and see what's on tap for that day and make requests on things I'd like ordered or in-stock queries. Also, I get a few web comic updates on it. But the other 99.9% of it is dumb. I think my least favorite is when people take pictures of their dinner or something and post it, for no good reason. Holy crap. You ate dinner. File that in the don't care pile.

Unsubscribing from certain people is a wonderful option.

I can't stand Hockey. Before the Bruins won the Stanley Cup a couple years ago, no one ever talked about hockey except close-talkin drunks at the bar. Now, I work with customers and I got to hear about one of the most boring, dragged out sports on earth, all day. Are there 73 playoff games, or does it just seem like it? No I don't watch "soccer on ice", and I don't think 40 saves are incredible. I would almost rather watch baseball.

You're right..Boston isn't known for it's hockey at all...not considered one of the best hockey towns in the country or anything..:drunk::drunk:

I'll agree i was pissed after they won a cup that a lot of people who had never cared before were all of a sudden "hardcore fans" but you certainly can't say that no one except old drunks talked about hockey...

I dont understand your soccer on ice sentiment, considering you cant exactly kick thr puck... and i cant even come close to understand how its boring, its a fast paced full contact game.. But to each his own i guess...

I dont give a eff about facebook...got rid of it 2 years ago and never looked back. Best day of my life

I'll agree i was pissed after they won a cup that a lot of people who had never cared before were all of a sudden "hardcore fans"

This is most certainly annoying. Being a die-hard NY Mets and Buffalo Bills fan, there's a decent chance I may never experience this in my lifetime. And in the glorious occasion that either team does win a championship, the ensuing band of new fans will most likely disperse after the team falls back into disparity after a year or two.
:mug:

I still can't wrap my head fully around the idea of team fandom. Not enjoying I'm not saying I disapprove of it, mind you, but I dont "get it".

Lets say you are a Mets fan. You like to wear the hat and the t-shirt, you like to go to the games, you like to cheer them on, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but why do you do it? Is it because you grew up in Queens, where the team originally "comes from"? When I found out some years ago that you dont have to live or to have ever lived in Queens or even New York State to be a player for the Mets my mind was blown. What's the point? What makes the Mets a New York team? Where the stadium is? Arent some New York teams playing in their "home" arena in frigging NEW JERSEY? So if the players arent from New York and the stadium isnt in New York it cant be New York pride that makes you a Mets fan.

Ok so its something else. Maybe its the players themselves. But they can only play, what, 20 years tops before they have to retire? So technically, as a fan of a team full of players you like, you are almost guarenteed to see a day that the team with the same name that you have been a fan of will have no players on it that had originally earned your fandom. Do you blindly remain a fan of the team even though all the new players might not be to your liking, or do you choose another team to be a fan of until your original team gets its act together? Maybe its the coach, he tends to stick around a long time. But wouldnt that just make you a fan of the coach, not the team? Maybe its the mascot. I don't know. None of this makes a lot of sense to me.

I understand enjoying a sporting event itself (even if the idea of going to a baseball game makes me cringe) and I understand you have to be invested in SOMETHING to enjoy the game/event in front of you, but how do you make that determination?

I still can't wrap my head fully around the idea of team fandom. Not enjoying I'm not saying I disapprove of it, mind you, but I dont "get it".

Lets say you are a Mets fan. You like to wear the hat and the t-shirt, you like to go to the games, you like to cheer them on, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but why do you do it? Is it because you grew up in Queens, where the team originally "comes from"? When I found out some years ago that you dont have to live or to have ever lived in Queens or even New York State to be a player for the Mets my mind was blown. What's the point? What makes the Mets a New York team? Where the stadium is? Arent some New York teams playing in their "home" arena in frigging NEW JERSEY? So if the players arent from New York and the stadium isnt in New York it cant be New York pride that makes you a Mets fan.

Ok so its something else. Maybe its the players themselves. But they can only play, what, 20 years tops before they have to retire? So technically, as a fan of a team full of players you like, you are almost guarenteed to see a day that the team with the same name that you have been a fan of will have no players on it that had originally earned your fandom. Do you blindly remain a fan of the team even though all the new players might not be to your liking, or do you choose another team to be a fan of until your original team gets its act together? Maybe its the coach, he tends to stick around a long time. But wouldnt that just make you a fan of the coach, not the team? Maybe its the mascot. I don't know. None of this makes a lot of sense to me.

I understand enjoying a sporting event itself (even if the idea of going to a baseball game makes me cringe) and I understand you have to be invested in SOMETHING to enjoy the game/event in front of you, but how do you make that determination?

It's placing an emotional attachment on something that really has no consequence if it fails. Plus, we like to get ideas, and then be "right" about them. Sports offers anyone a chance to say to everyone "See! I told you so!"

I am a hockey fan, but also a Leafs fan. I enjoy watching all games, but I really only care about the ones the Leafs play. Every year, they lose - but it doesn't really affect my life in any way. When they do win an important game from time to time though, it's a hell of a lot of fun. Also gives people something common to talk about.

Here's what I don't get, and you 'mericans all seem to enjoy doing it:
Chanting "USA! USA!" when your team made up primarily of Canadians is playing another team, also made up primarily of Canadians.

Swimming Pools - why would i want a giant unsightly bowl of water in my backyard? just something else to clean and maintain. Swimming is what you do when you fall overboard or accidentally take an extra step off the edge of a pier or something.

Water Parks and hotel/motel pools - ringworm anyone?

Huge pickup trucks with a full back seat and a tiny little bed. If you need room to "haul the whole family around" get a car. It gets better gas mileage and you can probably haul just as much in the trunk as you can in that tiny little truck bed.

It's a strange thing, but I think it has to do with locality. Before satellites and stuff like that, people could go watch games in their area. Therefore, if they enjoyed the game, they got to know the players for the team in their area, and the team culture itself. The team kind of represents the city they play for, so of course there is a symbiotic relationship between players/teams and fans.

Nowadays it's very common to see people who have never set foot within 1000 miles of a city embrace a team just because they appreciate a player or a group of players.

What I can't stand are fans who are so biased that their team/player can do no wrong, and every little suspected act by the other team is grounds for a penalty. They can't appreciate good plays by the opposition.

It's true that hockey is one of the fastest, most manic sports. And it's like soccer in several ways. And you CAN kick a puck (You just can't direct it into the net with a kicking motion...) Pucks are kicked MANY times a game, especially along the boards.

The one thing I don't enjoy that everyone else seems to, is when the guy on the PA system says, "Everybody clap your hands!" You can't tell me what to do, Dance Man! I'm a adult!

You're right..Boston isn't known for it's hockey at all...not considered one of the best hockey towns in the country or anything..:drunk::drunk:

I'll agree i was pissed after they won a cup that a lot of people who had never cared before were all of a sudden "hardcore fans" but you certainly can't say that no one except old drunks talked about hockey...

I dont understand your soccer on ice sentiment, considering you cant exactly kick thr puck... and i cant even come close to understand how its boring, its a fast paced full contact game.. But to each his own i guess...

I should have seen this coming. :) My best friend wants to punch me in the mouth when I make fun of hockey. I understand they used to be great but I was born in 81. Even during the Cam Neely Ray Bourque era, I just couldn't get excited about it. I call it soccer on ice because my friend gets furious and because it's a lot of back and forth without any scoring or action. Also, I didn't say "old", I picture guys around my age, all fired up about players I've never heard of. Band wagon jumpers and pink hats are a whole new thread but now everyone is loving hockey, I just don't see why.

But we can agree on Facebook. I assume Twitter too?

I should have seen this coming. :) My best friend wants to punch me in the mouth when I make fun of hockey. I understand they used to be great but I was born in 81. Even during the Cam Neely Ray Bourque era, I just couldn't get excited about it. I call it soccer on ice because my friend gets furious and because it's a lot of back and forth without any scoring or action. Also, I didn't say "old", I picture guys around my age, all fired up about players I've never heard of. Band wagon jumpers and pink hats are a whole new thread but now everyone is loving hockey, I just don't see why.

But we can agree on Facebook. I assume Twitter too?

I too was born in 81 and we grew up with all the hockey movies like the mighty ducks. I distinctly remember the miracle on ice also being frequently brought up in my childhood as it was still fairly recent in peoples minds. I can understand how people got into hockey. I have been to a few hockey games and have thoroughly enjoyed myself but never saw the appeal in televised games nor would I consider myself a huge hockey fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can totally see how someone wouldn't get it. I think everyone has things they're passionate about, and thing's that they wonder how anyone could ever be passionate about. I'm not the type of fan who watches every game (lucky if I see 2-3 a month at this point), or knows every stat for every player. I probably make it to 4 games a year, and maybe another 3-4 locally for their AA affiliate.

What I can't stand are fans who are so biased that their team/player can do no wrong, and every little suspected act by the other team is grounds for a penalty. They can't appreciate good plays by the opposition.

+1. I want to see my team win, but I just want to watch a good baseball game. Which is tragic, since I'm a Mets fan.

I also hate it when fans act all cocky while their teams are winning, or act like its just expected that their team will do well, or when they lose it's a travesty and usually the fault of bad officiating (I'm looking in your direction, Yankees, Patriots ;) <- see the winky face, it means I'm joking, partially). I tell my wife that raising our children as fans of teams like the Mets and Bills helps build character lol.

Lets say you are a Mets fan. You like to wear the hat and the t-shirt, you like to go to the games, you like to cheer them on, etc. Nothing wrong with that, but why do you do it? Is it because you grew up in Queens, where the team originally "comes from"? When I found out some years ago that you dont have to live or to have ever lived in Queens or even New York State to be a player for the Mets my mind was blown.

Hey Creamy wrap your head around this! http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

North Carolina has a hockey team! all the players come from the northern US and Canada the most southern born player is from New Jersey.

I call it soccer on ice because my friend gets furious and because it's a lot of back and forth without any scoring or action.

72310_bass-drop-cropped.gif

YOU HAVE NEVER WATCHED A HOCKEY GAME.

Latest posts

Back