Zero head space in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
I sometimes bottle in 2L (1/2 gallon) swing top growlers. Anyway, one bottle was filled to the top (zero headspace).

It's a belgian pale ale with T-58 yeast.

Any guess how this will affect the level of carbonation?

It did push a tiny amount of beer out of the gasket.

When a friend of mine did that with a grolsch bottle, it didn't exactly explode, but the bottom broke neatly off a few days into conditioning.

Open it back up and pour a little out.

Oh... I neglected to say it's been three weeks since I bottled. So, the bottle survived. I put it in the chest freezer that is temp controlled at 35F.

I was wondering what I might expect for carbonation level.

I've heard people claim a high fill will increase and decrease carbonation levels... which is it?

I've had two of the 1 litre flip-tops bust the bottom out because of overfilling recently. These things don't quite explode, which I've had happen to a 22oz bomber bottle, they neatly crack right along the bottom line :/

I'd pop it open and pour out a bit and re-cap.

The bottle survived chilling to 35F. I am going to drink a pint of it in a few hours (still drinking my coffee now).

BTW- Here is what the bottle looks like. I've been using these for about a year and they are really thick glass. I bought 9 more of them from the Sierra Nevada store online (for $11.99/ea.) because they ship free on order over $100.

Q01.JPG

m1k3 said:
The bottle survived chilling to 35F. I am going to drink a pint of it in a few hours (still drinking my coffee now).

BTW- Here is what the bottle looks like. I've been using these for about a year and they are really thick glass. I bought 9 more of them from the Sierra Nevada store online (for $11.99/ea.) because they ship free on order over $100.

That is a great looking bottle! Gotta get me some of that!

Just drank a half pint (at 10:50am but this was for research!).

Perfectly carbonated. No gushing. YMMV.

I've had the bottoms bust out as well but that was after I bottled cold from keg and then let the beer warm as it was in transit, allowing the CO2 already present to expand.

Latest posts

Back