Your tips for brewing killer Triple IPA (TIPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPBeer

Reaction score
So... not even sure if anybody enjoy this style. Well, I thought I hate DIPA / TIPA because of the booziness, or the sweet malt backbone. I couldn't understand why people love PtE and Enjoy By. However, tried few Trillium / Monkish DIPA / TIPA, and they were freakin' amazing. So smooth but big. The alcohol was subtle and boosted the smoothness of NEIPA. I'm going to brew a TIPA in few months (after trying some APA / IPA first tho), and want to gather some tips for brewing nice TIPAs.

Cheers!

Adding some (most) of the sugar during fermentation and keeping the fermentation temp rather low.

Adding some (most) of the sugar during fermentation and keeping the fermentation temp rather low.

Can I ask you why you are adding the sugar at the fermentation period? I'm brewing newbie, so looking for some insights. Thanks!

Its so the yeast dont go crazy and eat the easy stuff first. I love pte and pty so idk my fav tipa is simtra by kneedeep. Make a starter or use a few packs of yeast for this big boy and use yeast nutrients. Id go with 007 so u have room from alcohol tolerance. Do you have a recipe whipped up? Let me know if you want help with it.

Yeah, dextrose is like crack for yeast. They gobble up the crack all at once and weird shi** happens. You’re gonna need a bunch of dextrose to get your FG rather low and not make it too much of a sweet malt bomb. Add some in the kettle, then add some once or twice during fermentation. I’ve never brewed one nor will I ever so I’m not super well versed but I’ve read bits and pieces about it. I would go just 2-Row or Pilsner base with 2% C40 for color, the rest sugar if you want something lighter and “drinkable”. 007 is a good recommendation but you’re gonna need to keep it below 64 until the very end. Do you have temp control?

I’d google Pliny The Younger or DFH120 Clone recipes to see how they add the sugar.

You’ll need a huge starter and lots of Oxygen (once before fermentation and once somehwere around 14 hours later I think? 12-18 hours??). Do you have an O2 wand? Shaking won’t cut it.

I don't have any specific recipe yet.. but trying to build it with 2-row, c10, wheat and oats. Thanks for the tip!

Damn I need an O2 wand then... stirring rigorously is my only way to go right now :(

In a TIPA you’re not going to need body from wheat and oats, the alcohol will do that for you. If you think you need some so it looks hazier I would stick to less than 5% of one or the other.

You need an O2 wand for big beers (or any beers really). They’re not that expensive, and you can just use the disposable O2 canisters at Home Depot that are $10. If you’re going to get a wand get the one with the flow gauge on it, makes a big difference.

tried few Trillium / Monkish DIPA / TIPA, and they were freakin' amazing. So smooth but big. The alcohol was subtle and boosted the smoothness of NEIPA. I'm going to brew a TIPA in few months (after trying some APA / IPA first tho)

So have I got this right? You brewed your first ever beer last weekend, and now you're hoping to emulate a world-class brewery like Trillium in some of their most technically-demanding beers?

With all due respect, that's a bit like going from climbing trees to climbing Everest. Leaving aside the well-known challenges of NEIPAs (read this thread), everything gets harder above 1.060 OG - your brewhouse efficiency drops, your yeast gets stressed if not poisoned outright by the alcohol. WLP540/1762 might be an interesting yeast to use, as it's a POF- British yeast adapted to higher ABV at Rochefort. WLP007 is definitely a love/hate kind of yeast, it is better kept on the cool side.

So my tip would be - hone your craft, get more experience, and in particular learn how to do a half-decent NEIPA and half-decent high-gravity brew (barley wine, big Belgian whatever) before trying to marry the two. Learn to walk before trying to run.

Yes it is harder but dont let that stop you. Expect eff in the low 60s keep ypur temps cool for ferment and worst thing that will happen is you make beer.

I sort of agree with Northern Brewer above here.

you said you'll be doing some APA's and IPA's first, which is good. A TIPA will be an expensive beer to botch without some "practice" first.

Dial in you efficiencies for bigger beers. Dial in your process for eliminating as much oxygen as you can. Dial in fermentation schedule for bigger beers, and a general dry hopping schedule.

If not then the next threads will be something like:

Why is my TIPA getting darker in the bottle
Where did all my hops go between fermentation and bottling
I missed my OG by a lots
The beer tastes like bad moonshine
Didn't reach estimated FG

You can by all means sort of jump into it, but don't expect something anywhere close to a commercial sample of the ones you mentioned without doing some trial and error first, and even after some experimenting, don't expect a "clone". But take it as a challenge, those are fun :)

Back