You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When swmbo is already mad that I went drinking with my buddies and I show up two hours late to meet some other buddies at my house to help unload the new 60" commercial kegerator that I failed to mention. Then go help them unload the other units and uber home at 11. Wait should this be in the don't do that section?

When swmbo is already mad that I went drinking with my buddies and I show up two hours late to meet some other buddies at my house to help unload the new 60" commercial kegerator that I failed to mention. Then go help them unload the other units and uber home at 11. Wait should this be in the don't do that section?

I hope that kegerator came with a comfortable pillow! ;)

What's the downside of owning a 5 ft kegerator?
It won't fit in the average dog house.

Have work crews in town doing new sewer and water lines. One of the guys asked me what the heck I was doign the last time I brewed. I told him I was making beer and he made a bunch of rude comments "Bet that tastes like crap" "Homebrew tastes horrible" etc. So I told him to come by after work and try a glass. Now he wants to learn how to brew! He had no clue you could turn out better beer than the big breweries in a garage! I looked up the homebrew club in his area and told him to contact them(they are out of town crews)

Have work crews in town doing new sewer and water lines. One of the guys asked me what the heck I was doign the last time I brewed. I told him I was making beer and he made a bunch of rude comments "Bet that tastes like crap" "Homebrew tastes horrible" etc. So I told him to come by after work and try a glass. Now he wants to learn how to brew! He had no clue you could turn out better beer than the big breweries in a garage! I looked up the homebrew club in his area and told him to contact them(they are out of town crews)

You are doing God's work. :)

When the only time and I repeat the only time you buy store bought beer is to try some type you have never had before but read about and want to make. Do you know how hard it is to find a non flavored berlinerwise. And I live in Oregon for Christs sake!

When wife comes in to see a new bottle capper on the hall table:
Wife, "You bought a new capper."
Me, "The one I'm using is 10 years old. Thought it might be good to have a spare in case it breaks."
Wife, "That makes sense."

When you received blank 6 pack holders and label papers from in-laws for your birthday.

When you received 14 cases of bombers and a wing capper from Wife and in-laws for Christmas.

or if you live in a country where all forms of alcohol are prohibited (even mouth wash comes without alcohol), and brewing is the only way to have beer and stay sane in this crazy country.

When you have a photo album in your phone dedicated to homebrew stuff.

When you have an entire folder on your smartphone dedicated to brewing related apps.

+ its on your task bar meaning its up no matter what page of apps im on...

When you don't have a dedicated fermentation chamber, so you set the house thermostat to the proper fermentation temp.

I could see this being hilariously effective if you have a remote temp sensor + smart thermostat and tape the bastard to it.

You know how people kid that their significant other comes home from shopping, and they don't talk about how much money they spent? They say things like, "I saved this much money by buying such-and-such."

Welp, when you start saying things like that about beer supplies, comparing the cost to store-bought beer, you might be a home brewer.

When you don't have a dedicated fermentation chamber, so you set the house thermostat to the proper fermentation temp.

I think it was 3 years ago that I set the house thermostat to 64F all winter long. I didn't tell the wife and kids why. They still think I was just saving money on the gas bill...

I think it was 3 years ago that I set the house thermostat to 64F all winter long. I didn't tell the wife and kids why. They still think I was just saving money on the gas bill...

I told my wife what I was doing, and everyday it was "when can we set this back it's too hot/cold/whatever?" even though it wasn't that far off from where we keep it anyway :rolleyes:

No way! With arthritis in winter the living room is 76 to 78! But I heat with a pellet/corn(dried feed corn kernels) stove that is in the living room. Rest of the house runs about 68 and pantry can drop to the low 50's mid winter. But I live in MN!

I told my wife what I was doing, and everyday it was "when can we set this back it's too hot/cold/whatever?" even though it wasn't that far off from where we keep it anyway :rolleyes:

Your wife is throwing out old Tupperware containers and you wonder which one(s) you could use to store your home brew “stuff”.

Your wife is throwing out old Tupperware containers and you wonder which one(s) you could use to store your home brew “stuff”.

Surely in a real homebrewer's house, you need to buy more Tupperware for the kitchen because the brewer has already tracked down and used the entire existing stock?

when you take a shower with a fermenter

HAHA Or your wife has to remove the empty fermenters, buckets, kegs, etc... that you left in the shower to drain and air dry overnight so she can take a shower. Yet in our house, last night both the shower and tub (two different bathrooms) had equipment in them draining after they were cleaned. BTW - It's become the norm now that her and my girls don't even say anything to me about it.

Back