You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone walks into your kitchen, sees an ehrlenmeyer flask spinning away on a cigar box stir plate, looks at you and says "what the hell are you doing?"

My basement has a couple carboys of failbeer I haven't emptied out yet along with miscellaneous tubing and wiring projects (built a temp controller, which looks way sketchier than it is.)

Was having a fridge delivered for a keezer. Two delivery bros step into the basement. Bro 1 looks immediately, massively sketched out and I brace myself to do some fast talking. Bro 2's eyes light up. "Dude is that beer? Is the freezer for kegs? Siiiiiiiick."

When your credit card does not work when you are trying to buy nice things for your wife's birthday. So you bring it home and make an order from brewhardware just to make sure it still works for it's intended purpose.:D

* SWMBO got lots of nice stuff *

When your credit card does not work when you are trying to buy nice things for your wife's birthday. So you bring it home and make an order from brewhardware just to make sure it still works for it's intended purpose.:D

* SWMBO got lots of nice stuff *

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this haha.

When my husband, who was kinda "meh" on the whole homebrewing hobby initially, now comes up with most of the ideas for beers that he wants me to brew...and insists on telling anyone who will listen that his wife brews some awesome beers. Although he does stlll sometimes tell people about the beers "we" brew...I just look at him fondly and keep my mouth shut, because I have a spouse that supports the hobby I have come to love and loves the fruits of my labors. And stands with me when I'm obsessing about a new brew that has me kerflummoxed. And doesn't come out to the brewery and stress when things aren't going quite right, just listens to me rant, pats me on the back, says "it'll be fine", and goes back in the house and leaves me to it. He doesn't read the forum, but I do love you to the moon and back, Jeremy my dear.

When you get the toaster out of the cabinet to find a case of beer you thought was gone. Whoo-hoo pipeline got a bump.

When after being too busy and on a brewing hiatus, you feel guilty when people ask you "So what have you been brewing lately?"

So true. We had construction LAST summer and I took a hiatus. Well, THIS summer folks were asking me what I'd been brewing and my 9 month old excuse fell flat.

Corrected by a novice!:mug:

lol :mug:

published "author" with atrocious grammar, can't spell or construct a coherent sentence and always ends his posts with an ellipsis...

corrected by a novice, for whom English is not a first language. I presume, based on your location

my grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and sentence construction may be worse than his, but I don't claim to be a "writer"

...when you delegate bottling duty to your (adult) children before going to bed and find the next morning you have 51 bottles capped correctly and all of your equipment tidied up neatly!

I have taught them well.

lol :mug:

published "author" with atrocious grammar, can't spell or construct a coherent sentence and always ends his posts with an ellipsis...

corrected by a novice, for whom English is not a first language. I presume, based on your location

my grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization and sentence construction may be worse than his, but I don't claim to be a "writer"

No Sir! I am from Texas, just live in Germany. Just having fun!

When you fish out a forgotten bottle of homebrew that's been in the back of the closet for nine months and curse the gods that there isn't more of it left since it's so delicious now.

When you fish out a forgotten bottle of homebrew that's been in the back of the closet for nine months and curse the gods that there isn't more of it left since it's so delicious now.

The rarest beer on Earth, the last bottle of a batch of homebrew! I wish I could hide cases from myself!

The rarest beer on Earth, the last bottle of a batch of homebrew! I wish I could hide cases from myself!

Yeah I've got enough of a pipeline now that I'm really going to try to age my next beer (which gravity stout with lots and lots of brown malt based on a 19th century Shut Up About Barclay Perkins recipe), or at least half of it. Never intentionally done that before despite brewing for years.

You're out running errands and have all day to kill so you think about stopping by a local micro but then think, "Why go and spend $$ when I have beer just as good or better at home".

So I'm on my patio drinking a Fresh Squeezed clone, smoking a cigar, and watching a baseball game. Once the sun goes down I'll put a log on the fire pit.

And have another 1 (or 3) beers.

I'd much rather do this!

I made a fruit beer once that sucked badly. It was a very small batch and made maybe a 6 pack. After trying one I put it on the back shelf of the beer fridge "for a while". Several months later, with nothing else to drink, I tried another one. Man was it ever good! I did not share the last 3 or 4 bottles with anyone!

You're out running errands and have all day to kill so you think about stopping by a local micro but then think, "Why go and spend $$ when I have beer just as good or better at home".

So I'm on my patio drinking a Fresh Squeezed clone, smoking a cigar, and watching a baseball game. Once the sun goes down I'll put a log on the fire pit.

I'd much rather do this!

A steak or some bbq for dinner and life don't get no better

When SWMBO keeps insisting that I should follow a brewers course next September?

*not sure if positive or not*

:confused:

I'd much rather do this!

Been there many times!

When you get stoked when you find out about the vacuum sealer you got from the in-laws.
Wahoo, I can vacuum seal the leftover whole hops in the freezer that I purchased from a local hop farm.🍻

You look forward to getting emails from AiH to see what's on sale, and when you stop frequenting the local sports bar because their craft beer offering is Dos Equis and shiner bock

Depends on the recipe. If it's something new I take more notes. If it's a recipe I've dialed in for the most part I just brew. I was referring more to time. Even if I can replicate that Saison or Porter exactly, it still takes time for everything to come together to perfection. And I wish I had another bottle right now!

When you are packaging your home grown hops and realize the chest freezer is at capacity. So you clean it out and make the executive decision that it will now be dedicated to holding mainly hops (maybe some frozen foods & a couple of frozen jugs of water for those hot days to cool the wort on brew day).

When it's 2am and you decide to bag some of the hops that are dried from the dehydrator instead of going to bed. Then an hour later you decide to post here about it just before going to bed. Who needs more than 3-4 hours of sleep? ;)

Got ya beat by one :)

We inherited a nice chest freezer from our landlord. For several years it just held what we couldn't fit in the house freezer...now it's got nothing but about 15lbs of hops and the ice bottles I keep frozen for fermenting. We contemplated earlier this summer on buying a 1/4 beef when our neighbors do, but then had to think 'where would we put it?". Yeah, hops have priority in our house.

This is is why I have 3 chest freezers! One for meat and veggie over flow, one for veggies, one for hops and leftovers I need to eat fairly fast. And actually 4 chest freezers but one is being used as a fridge, helps offset the electrical bill of 3 freezers!(Uses 450 watts of electricity versus 3,500 for a standard fridge I am in and out of all the time) Plus the keg fridge, and a mini fridge for pop, water, any bottled beer I buy to try new styles...

We inherited a nice chest freezer from our landlord. For several years it just held what we couldn't fit in the house freezer...now it's got nothing but about 15lbs of hops and the ice bottles I keep frozen for fermenting. We contemplated earlier this summer on buying a 1/4 beef when our neighbors do, but then had to think 'where would we put it?". Yeah, hops have priority in our house.

This is is why I have 3 chest freezers! One for meat and veggie over flow, one for veggies, one for hops and leftovers I need to eat fairly fast. And actually 4 chest freezers but one is being used as a fridge, helps offset the electrical bill of 3 freezers!(Uses 450 watts of electricity versus 3,500 for a standard fridge I am in and out of all the time) Plus the keg fridge, and a mini fridge for pop, water, any bottled beer I buy to try new styles...

LOL...I brought home another bucket of hops the other day from my boss' freezer, they have to live in the house fridge because there's no more room in the freezer! guess I need to start using all these hops faster....hmmm.

Back