Yooper welch's wine questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
I have a few quick questions for a simple recipe of yooper's:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welchs-grape-juice-wine-21093/

When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.
How long does it take to clear and what is the defines "clear"?

Should I be using sparkaloid?

How long does it typically take to clear?

The above quote means additional 30 days AFTER the wine is deemed clear, correct?

If I remember correctly the best way to go about sweetening is to take a small amount and add sugar slowly until it tastes to your liking and just scale that amount to batch.

Also, this is how I attached my airlock. I poked a whole in the metal cap of my wine bottle and pushed my airlock through. Then I covered it in saran wrap. I realize this wasn't the best way to do this, but I didn't have a stopper that fit at the time. I am worried that the saran wrap mess provided little to no help in sealing, so my airlock is likely not being used at all. I see no bubbles through it, but I realize this isn't necessarily an indicator that it isn't working. Anyway, I am hoping this wine still turns out fine despite my horrible air lock job: http://imgur.com/Wj2RAKh

Sorry for all of the stupid questions :(. I am excited to get this done and use the yeast cake for my first skeeter pee :). Thanks again.

I have a few quick questions for a simple recipe of yoopers:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/welchs-grape-juice-wine-21093/

How long does it take to clear and what is the defines "clear"?

Should I be using sparkaloid?

How long does it typically take to clear?

The above quote means additional 30 days AFTER the wine is deemed clear, correct?

If I remember correctly the best way to go about sweetening is to take a small amount and add sugar slowly until it tastes to your liking and just scale that amount to batch.

Also, this is how I attached my airlock. I poked a whole in the metal cap of my wine bottle and pushed my airlock through. Then I covered it in saran wrap. I realize this wasn't the best way to do this, but I didn't have a stopper that fit at the time. I am worried that the saran wrap mess provided little to no help in sealing, so my airlock is likely not being used at all. I see no bubbles through it, but I realize this isn't necessarily an indicator that it isn't working. Anyway, I am hoping this wine still turns out fine despite my horrible air lock job: http://imgur.com/Wj2RAKh

Sorry for all of the stupid questions :(. I am excited to get this done and use the yeast cake for my first skeeter pee :). Thanks again.
Bump. Sorry :(

"Clear" is just clear. When you hold a sample up to the light, there should be nothing impinging the light coming through, and you can see right through it. There should be no sediment at all in the bottom, and nothing suspended in the wine. If you pull a sample and stick it in the fridge, it should not have any sediment in the bottom 8 hours later. That's "clear".

I hope that helps!

"Clear" is just clear. When you hold a sample up to the light, there should be nothing impinging the light coming through, and you can see right through it. There should be no sediment at all in the bottom, and nothing suspended in the wine. If you pull a sample and stick it in the fridge, it should not have any sediment in the bottom 8 hours later. That's "clear".

I hope that helps!

Thanks Yooper! It's been a couple weeks and it definitely looks clear. Hopefully I can rack tomorrow and recycle the yeast cake for my skeeter pee.

hobo be careful not to think that the wine is clear when it really is not....That yeast can take a long time to completely fall from suspension in the wine...You can bottle your wine thinking its clear and then 3 months later there will be yeast at the bottom.

Back