Hefe Weizen Open Ferment in Sterilite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivoman

Reaction score
I recently brewed a Weissbier and tried open fermentation like the Bavarians do, open and shallow. I drilled out a hole for my SS304 Brew Bucket spigot to bottle directly from it once it’s just shy of complete fermentation.
I had to lug my chilled brew kettle to my basement to fill it, carrying the tub with fresh wort down basement stairs didn’t sound particularly wise.
I just bottled it, so far so good. Anxious to see if I pick up any nuanced differences with open fermenting.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpeg
    IMG_0376.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0378.jpeg
    IMG_0378.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I had thought about trying that a long time ago but never summed up the courage! Curious to see how it turns out. Is the sterilite food safe?

I believe so. It’s just awkward handling it. I set it up on bar stools after filling it. I only had 5 gallons in it, can easily fit 7 next time.

Open fermentation and Lallemand Munich Classic was the game changer for my Hefeweizen. I took some to my drinking buddy from Germany. He took a drink and said "Now THAT's the taste I've been missing!"

I’ve had similar results mixing Weizen beer yeasts, such as fermenting with WLP 351 then towards the end of fermentation pitching WLP 380. Adds lots more complexity

I have struggled getting satisfactory banana flavor in my Hefs using WLP300. I will have to try Lallemand Munich Classic.
What fermentation profile and pitch rate do you guys use?

I just dump in the dry sachet of yeast, I don't rehydrate mine. Batch size is 5 - 5,5 gallons. When I used liquid, I would pitch a small starter out of my growler.

I have struggled getting satisfactory banana flavor in my Hefs using WLP300. I will have to try Lallemand Munich Classic.
What fermentation profile and pitch rate do you guys use?
I use one package for 5-6 gallons @68F. I bottle when the krausen falls, at around 10 days or so.

Try open fermentation like my pictures. My “research” is that with a shallower fermenter the CO2 doesn’t agitate the fermenting beer keeping the banana flavor/aromas in the beer.

I visited a few breweries in Germany and they have wide, shallow fermentation vessels.

very cool. Yes, open fermentation seemed to produce good results...especially that banana.

I did an open ferment in my keg once. unfortunately, the krausen spilled out in great abundance...made a mess on the top. and cleaning the sealing lip on the keg presented a challenge.

Cleaning the top of the keg after was sealed up was a task as well.

Back