Yet another "Under-the-workbench" Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good point. i left a bit of slack in the line to the probe so i could give that a try in the future.

Congrats! Thanks for all of the pics and updates; it is nice to see both a start and completion to projects, and we don't always get that!

:mug:

I heard Jamil suggest one time to tape the probe to the side of the carboy with some bubblewrap insulation over the top of it. That way the controller is actually measuring the temperature of the wort (or as close as possible without a thermowell or some such) and gives you the most accurate control over your fermenting temps.

Just a thought.

Here's why I don't like that for the analog controllers. They are designed to have a 4˚ swing range so that the fridge doesn't kick on as often (saving your energy bill and fridge). It seems to me that the ambient temperature will be fluctuating a lot more than the carboy temperature, so having that temperature trigger the controller seems like it'd keep the carboy at a more stable temp. If you measured from the carboy with a 4˚ range, your fermentation would be going from 60 to 64 (or whatever you have it set to) often. From what I've read, a consistent temperature is more desirable.

Therefore, I set my analog controller to 2 to 4 degrees cooler than the fermentation temperature I want and place the sensor for my wireless outdoor thermometer up against the carboy. Eventually I'll get a digital controller with a 1˚ range and get a termowell stopper.

The temp swing really isn't that big of a deal, especially if you're monitoring the air temp. The wort in your carboys is going to be much more temperature stable that the air surrounding it. So if you use air to switch on/off your cooling source, the temperature swing of 4F doesn't matter so much. If you are measuring the actual wort temp, that 4F swing is going to be much more of a problem. If you're measuring the air temp, the wort temp will be stable...if you measure the wort temp, it will only be as stable as the swing on your controller.

If you really want to be anal about it, a digital controller WITH a thermowell in the carboy is the ultimate solution. But rather than spend all that $$$ to upgrade my controller, I'd rather buy another pump, or grain, or hops, etc. My method is just to put a sticky thermometer on the side of the carboy and peek in once in a while. If I set the Johnson controller at 60F, fermentation temperature at high krausen will get to 64F. After krausen has fallen, it goes down to 60F. Knowing your equipment is the most important part.

The temp swing really isn't that big of a deal, especially if you're monitoring the air temp. The wort in your carboys is going to be much more temperature stable that the air surrounding it. So if you use air to switch on/off your cooling source, the temperature swing of 4F doesn't matter so much. If you are measuring the actual wort temp, that 4F swing is going to be much more of a problem. If you're measuring the air temp, the wort temp will be stable...if you measure the wort temp, it will only be as stable as the swing on your controller.

If you really want to be anal about it, a digital controller WITH a thermowell in the carboy is the ultimate solution. But rather than spend all that $$$ to upgrade my controller, I'd rather buy another pump, or grain, or hops, etc. My method is just to put a sticky thermometer on the side of the carboy and peek in once in a while. If I set the Johnson controller at 60F, fermentation temperature at high krausen will get to 64F. After krausen has fallen, it goes down to 60F. Knowing your equipment is the most important part.

Thats what I was trying to say, just not as clearly.

+ 100...............

I have been looking through a bunch of the Under Workbench Fermentation Chamber Builds. I have noticed that a lot of people put 'raisers' under the insulation on the bottom of the chamber. Other than increased insulation properties of the air, is there a reason for this? I have a concrete slab in my garage (as I would assume most do). Can I not simply lay the insulation directly on the concrete? (My concern is losing too much height under my bench)

Thanks!

I have been looking through a bunch of the Under Workbench Fermentation Chamber Builds. I have noticed that a lot of people put 'raisers' under the insulation on the bottom of the chamber. Other than increased insulation properties of the air, is there a reason for this? I have a concrete slab in my garage (as I would assume most do). Can I not simply lay the insulation directly on the concrete? (My concern is losing too much height under my bench)

Thanks!

Had I been more careful measuring, i probably would have done the same, or used thinner lumber under the floor of my chamber. a 6 or 6.5gal carboy w/ airlock almost touches the roof of mine. Its usable, for sure, but its a little tight. I also chose to put lumber under the floor so that I had something to screw the sides and front into when it came time out built them.

Well, my friend accidentally ordered an American Lager kit instead of an American Wheat kit so we're trying out the chamber right now. The air temp in the garage is in the 60's and i've got the lager fermenting at 50. not super impressive, but it is working.

the real test will be this summer.

this is a great build thread and something i will probably be doing since fermentation temp has been the major hold up in my brewing lately.

It looks great. I see alot of these that guys build and they are nice. I am just wondering............... I'm not trying to be a d*ck but why go through all this labor, planning and money when a used 50.00 chest freezer with a 30.00 temp control is just as good if not better and there is not much work involved at all?

It looks great. I see alot of these that guys build and they are nice. I am just wondering............... I'm not trying to be a d*ck but why go through all this labor, planning and money when a used 50.00 chest freezer with a 30.00 temp control is just as good if not better and there is not much work involved at all?

More than likely, space.

Right....I understand. Coincidentally a nice size chest freezer is really not that big.

Point taken..........I guess I take it for granted having a three car garage.

Personally, I built mine because I had everything I needed to make it except for the controller and some insulation already. And because I just like building things myself. Part of the reason I got into this hobby was the challenge of making my own equipment to fit my needs. It may not be that way for everyone, but it works for me.

just and update. chamber is working pretty well, in warm weather the outside of the little fridge gets pretty hot, but it maintains temperature. now that its cooling off, i've actually got the door cracked open since ambient temp in the garage is around 70 anyway. as the weather gets cooler i might have to use a closet in the house, or add a small heater to the chamber, what do you guys think?

while doing some remodling at my grandmothers house,I have found the coolest little fan/heater. its whats in the vent/light/heater in the bathroom celing. Its a squirrle cage fan with heater built in. small and puts out some good heat. just tell the wife she needs a new one in the bathroom and scavenge the old one..just an ideal.120V and is plug and play.

NoisufnoC..

I know this thread has been around for a long time but i feel i must say "THANKS"... I just did my chamber build this weekend following this thread. It worked out great. I just have to get my controller build and install a fan in there to move the air.

but like i said. just wanted to say thanks!! :)

jake

Back