Yet another "Under-the-workbench" Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes sir. the fan will work fine that way.

any specific amp range i should look for on the spare cell phone charger? i have a few here that are 5v output and anywhere from 1A to 2A output. Seems like a lot of current, no?

I never worried about that I just cut and if it works it works. I'm no electrician but I have yet to burn the house down.

Besides those fans are like 1-2 bucks. You could even have multiples if you think it's too high of amps for 1

sweet. any safety concerns plugging a powerstrip into my johnson controller so i can cycle the fan on and off with the fridge?
I have one of the Johnson controllers. I just did a 3 socket plug into the grounded socket on the controller. Ran a muffin fan inside the fridge to move the air into the tower of my kegerator (I stole 2Heads idea for that, so he's getting double credit in this thread!) I did put disconnects on the fan leads, so I can replace the fan when (not if) it craps out.

any specific amp range i should look for on the spare cell phone charger? i have a few here that are 5v output and anywhere from 1A to 2A output. Seems like a lot of current, no?
You sure it's 1A and not 1mA? If it's a charger for small electronics, phones etc. then it will be fine. I've run them from 12 down to 3 volts, just depends on the speed you want to run the fan. More V = faster spin.

Your setup is looking good! I like the BrewGuyver approach. That's a huge part of what I like about brewing, making stuff for it. I have an old 5 Gallon milk dispenser I'm going to demolish and look at using to convert my ferm chamber from ice to refrigeration. A real Ron Popeal, "Set it and Forget it!":ban:

I have one of the Johnson controllers. I just did a 3 socket plug into the grounded socket on the controller. Ran a muffin fan inside the fridge to move the air into the tower of my kegerator (I stole 2Heads idea for that, so he's getting double credit in this thread!) I did put disconnects on the fan leads, so I can replace the fan when (not if) it craps out.

You sure it's 1A and not 1mA? If it's a charger for small electronics, phones etc. then it will be fine. I've run them from 12 down to 3 volts, just depends on the speed you want to run the fan. More V = faster spin.

Your setup is looking good! I like the BrewGuyver approach. That's a huge part of what I like about brewing, making stuff for it. I have an old 5 Gallon milk dispenser I'm going to demolish and look at using to convert my ferm chamber from ice to refrigeration. A real Ron Popeal, "Set it and Forget it!":ban:

Yeah, I work in the IT field and we have a plethora of power adapters at my work from old devices that are no longer used. There were some 5v and 12v output ones but the current was 1A or 2A, the nokia seems to be better matched to the requirements of the fan. The fan is 12v 350mA, and the nokia is 5v 350mA. Hopefully the 120mm size will move some air. I'll test the wiring tonight and post a pic.

Thanks for the kind words guys, its my first real build of anything so i'm pretty happy how its turning out.

Nokia adapter worked like a champ. I'm not sure if i need it to spin faster or not, i temporarly place it in the fridge portion and i could feel a tiny bit of air moving at the end of the chamber.

IMG_5829.jpg

I may have a universal switching adapter that goes to 12v somewhere that i could swap in if this doesn't work out.

IMG_5831.jpg

Last pic is blurry since i turned the flash off, but it shows off the sweet blue led's ;D

maybe i'll go all the way and install a window in my chamber so it'll glow blue :rockin:

that would be a pretty nice twist PLUS you get to know when the chamber is on!

also, what about putting the fan in the freezer portion? that way it pushes colder air from top down.

just a thought

that would be a pretty nice twist PLUS you get to know when the chamber is on!

also, what about putting the fan in the freezer portion? that way it pushes colder air from top down.

just a thought

i'm going to look into the window idea, i just dont want to effect the insulation properties.

the fan will go in the freezer area, i'm just gonna wait to permanently attach it until the insulation is installed and i can properly route the wires. tonight was just a test.

My project has really stalled since I dont have a vehicle large enough to bring home the sheets of insulation. I'm working on finding someone to help me.

However, my temperature controller arrived yesterday :D

is there a benefit or a reason one would want to do yeast starters in a fermentation chamber? i have an idea... ;)

I dont know if it was necessary or not, but tonight I duct taped all the seems of the shell from the inside. I'm working hard to find a truck so that I can get the insulation in and start using this thing.

Okay, this build is talking way too long. I gave up on finding a friend with a truck and just went to Lowes in SWIMBO's car today.

8416_535651019438_53700073_31529794.jpg

I took some measurements before I left the house, and made all my rough cuts in the parking lot. Including some tools I needed (hacksaw, straight edge, etc) I'm up to $80 out of pocket on this build.

Sorry that I didn't cover every step of installing the insulation, I was more focused on getting this project done than writing a how-to. I went with 2 layers of 3/4 insulation attached with 3M spray adhesive to the insides of the wooden chamber. I'm not very happy with the "Great Stuff" as it seemed to get more outside of each gap than inside it.

IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

I also permanently attached the 120mm fan, and wired to a new transformer that I acquired. The new one puts out 12v @ 300ma vs the old one's 5v @ 350ma. The fan moves much faster and its still within the safe range for it.

IMG_5841.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to trim back all the "Great Stuff", install the floor of the chamber, and caulk any leftover gaps. Then I need to see if i have enough wood to finish the front, otherwise I have to make one last trip to Lowes.

Thanks for hanging in there with me guys.

this looks great!

I also couldn't help but notice your sig is all empty. finish the chamber already so we can see some brews!

this looks great!

I also couldn't help but notice your sig is all empty. finish the chamber already so we can see some brews!

Thats the plan. Although the temperature here as dropped lately, so I could probably just ferment in the closet again. I'm focusing all my energy on banging this chamber out this week, hopefully a brew day next weekend. :tank:

Tonight I trimmed away the "Great Stuff" at the bottom and I cut the floor, which is 1/8" Wainscoting whiteboard type material. I used that so sliding carboys and other items would be easier than on the foam insulation. I used more of the 3M spray adhesive, once I laid the floor down I quickly grabbed every heavy item I could reach in my garage to hold it down. I also discovered that my corny kegs just barely fit in the chamber, and have to be inserted at an angle to clear the front lip of the box. I dont think this is going to be a problem in the future, I just thought that i'd have a little more room than this.

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

Once the floor was set, I did a good bead of caulk around the perimeter of it. The front edge will be caulked when the front of the box is installed.

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

Despite how much I dislike the "Great Stuff" sealed corners, I'm going to keep them the way they are and use the rest of the can to seal up any other gaps i find.

starting on the front of the box tonight. I might have to run to lowes for some more wood.

Almost done.

I went to lowes for a 2x4 sheet of wood, since i was just barely short. All they had was particle board and expensive hardwood-plywood, so I hope thats doesn't give me any problems...

IMG_5848.jpg

IMG_5849.jpg

So I got this great idea that I'd use the box as a template for the insulation I had to cut for the front.

IMG_5850.jpg

I glued it on, and realized that I didn't take into consideration the 2x4 at the top of the box, so I had to get creative with the scrap I had left

IMG_5854.jpg

Then I hung the door, which has the same whiteboard material I made the floor out of on it. I thought it was a nice touch.

IMG_5857.jpg

I used some screws to support the weight of the insulation, and duct taped their heads just in case

IMG_5852.jpg

I'm almost done, finally. All that's left is to put some weatherstripping around the door, and to install the thermostat. I ran the fridge for a little while tonight, and the air inside the box got noticeably cooler.

IMG_5855.jpg

PS. I still hate the "Great Stuff". Finished off the can tonight filling all the new cracks. Tomorrow I'll trim it up some and caulk anything that's left.

I finished caulking the floor and put some weatherstripping on the door.

Its running right now with just the fridge plugged in. I stuck a thermometer inside to see what the temp gets down to. ambient air in my garage is about 83 degrees right now.

whats the deal with the copper line going to the probe on the thermometer? can i run that inside the box? or does it need to be outside? the probe should be in water, yes?

I finished caulking the floor and put some weatherstripping on the door.

Its running right now with just the fridge plugged in. I stuck a thermometer inside to see what the temp gets down to. ambient air in my garage is about 83 degrees right now.

whats the deal with the copper line going to the probe on the thermometer? can i run that inside the box? or does it need to be outside? the probe should be in water, yes?

The probe for your temp controller?

The probe for your temp controller?

yes.

So I ran it until the temp reached 65 inside and turned off the fridge and fan. It has taken about 1 hr 10mins or so for the temperature to raise up 10 degrees in an empty chamber. I assume with 2 or 3 carboys filled with liquid the temperature would raise much slower.

is this stable enough to start using?

I would say yes. Put the probe inside in ambient temp to start along with a container of water. Once the water reaches the desired temp (say 65 degrees), then put your temp probe into the container of water.

Today I installed the Johnson Controller. I filled a 5gal carboy with water and grabbed a few 1 gallon jugs to simulate a partially full chamber. The temperature probe is in a cup of water at the end of the camber opposite the fridge. As I observed from the other nights test, it took a little while to get down to temperature, but since then the fridge hasn't ran and the chamber is maintaining temp +/- a degree or two.

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

Disregard the ball of wires on the floor. My next garage project is to install some more outlets, one of which will be behind my kegorator fridge and will power this chamber.

At this point I'm calling this one finished. Thanks for all the tips, comments, and patience while I put this thing together. Brew day anyone? :D

I heard Jamil suggest one time to tape the probe to the side of the carboy with some bubblewrap insulation over the top of it. That way the controller is actually measuring the temperature of the wort (or as close as possible without a thermowell or some such) and gives you the most accurate control over your fermenting temps.

Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back