Yet another grain mill station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeegee_boy

Reaction score
There are many like it, but this one is mine:

img_1516-61908.jpg

An eBay conveyor belt motor. The boiler plate says it's rated at 1/8 HP and ~40 in-lb. It is *definitely* beefier than that. It doesn't even slow down under load. The numbers appear to be fiction, but good fiction :)

img_1517-61909.jpg

A postal scale from Amazon. The display is mounted up front.

img_1518-61910.jpg

img_1519-61911.jpg

A Monster Mill MM-2.0 with the hardened roller option. I sprung for that (and made the unit portable) with the intention of doing "grinding days" with our local homebrew club(s) after a group bulk grain buy. Grind as much as you want, at a cost of one beer :)

img_1520-61912.jpg

Robyn

Awesome! I love the non-belt drive option! Please tell me more about this motor and how you adapted it to drive the mill shaft! I have a Barley Crusher mill and want to build something similar but have been stuck on what motor to buy.

I got it from this guy, who has exactly one left:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230671841645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&afsrc=1

If you decide on it, make him an offer, I paid him $90 for mine.

I adapted it using these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HIWO1U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You need one for the motor shaft, one for the mill shaft, and a rubber/poly spider (the blue thing) to mate them. There's a table on the amazon parts list with the different sizes listed.

Robyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the additional information. How exactly do those Lovejoy couplings attach to the shafts? Set screw?

Yep, set screw. There's a flat spot on both the motor output and the mill input for the screw to sit on. I don't know of the Barley Crusher has the same, but if it doesn't a kiss with an angle grinder will make short work :)

Robyn

Yep, set screw. There's a flat spot on both the motor output and the mill input for the screw to sit on. I don't know of the Barley Crusher has the same, but if it doesn't a kiss with an angle grinder will make short work :)

Robyn

Yes, the Barley Crusher has the same flat spot on the input shaft.

If I can't find a motor for a good price I'm just going the low speed, power drill route because I could use one around the house anyway. :mug:

Latest posts

Back