Yet another False Bottom question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajabrewer7

Reaction score
I'm looking for a FB for my sanke mash tun conversion and although I've read a ton of posts, I'm still not sure what to buy! What size should I get? What is the difference if I use a 10" a 12" or a full 15"? For 12" I've looked at jaybirds and the ABT one, is 15" really worth the price? Sabco is 90 dlls which is comparable to JB's.. I'm more confused than when I started... :(

Heeelp please!

BTW, I *think* I will be direct firing and recirculating..

The full width Sabco would be my choice:

http://www.brew-magic.com/ketl_acc_falsebtm.html

Yes, a full width FB is worth the extra cost. The difference is you have more surface area with the larger diameter and that generally equates to improved performance. I like that the Sabco has the hinges on the bottom side and they are welded to the screen. This provides an unobstructed smooth top side which makes for easy stirring.

surface area of a 10" FB = 78.5 sq inches

surface area of a 12" FB = 113.1 sq inches

surface area of a 15" FB = 176.7 sq inches

IMO, this is one of them "you get what you pay for" things.

I wasn't sure what size I needed for my coors keg. I contacted jaybird and he knew exactly what I needed and it arrived when he said it would. It was hard spending the money on one but it was well worth getting it and he does nice work. I direct fire and recirculate and can run the pump full speed without getting a stuck mash.

I bought one from Jaybird, and don't tell him, but it was worth twice the price I paid. Fits like a glove in my Sanke, not much of a deadspace, and just quality built.

I understand that Jaybird is part of the homebretalk "family" if you will, but honestly, what advantages are there from his 15" to Sabco's? Sabco just seems better quality.. Why should I buy from JB? I WANT to be convinced since I also support small business owners whenever I can, I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

I understand that Jaybird is part of the homebretalk "family" if you will, but honestly, what advantages are there from his 15" to Sabco's? Sabco just seems better quality.. Why should I buy from JB? I WANT to be convinced since I also support small business owners whenever I can, I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

I can't attest that Jaybird's is that much better than Sabco. What I can attest is that it fits like a glove, it's rock solid, does exactly what it is supposed to. I have made beers that are up to 60% wheat and had not even a bit of a stuck sparge. I haven't made a purchase that I have been happier with in regards to homebrewing, made my life alot easier.

Just wanted to pipe in and stand up for my product :D I sure hope its ok...

As far as quality goes. I will put my false bottoms side by side to anything out there and be proud to say which one is mine. I do offer several choices that others do not. Like a welded handle for $7.99 or soon to be on the site a custom engraved handle for $19.99 or any size hole in any location for a custom build just for you.
As far as cost....My false bottoms are less expensive shipped. Brand X is $102 and change shipped (to me) mine are $95 and change shipped anywhere in the USA. If you add the welded handle mine are only about a buck more and well worth the buck. Its a quality piece of equipment that will last a lifetime!

I can't attest that Jaybird's is that much better than Sabco. What I can attest is that it fits like a glove, it's rock solid, does exactly what it is supposed to. I have made beers that are up to 60% wheat and had not even a bit of a stuck sparge. I haven't made a purchase that I have been happier with in regards to homebrewing, made my life alot easier.
This comment my friend made my night! So so glad your happy with the false bottom. Now feel free to ship samples of beer to the return address on your package :cross:

I have a JB false bottom and couldn't be happier. There's not much to them so a good fit is needed. Jaybirds fit like a glove. So if the name alone is worth money to you get the sabco

I have two full size 15" Jaybird FB's. One for my mash tun, the other for my boil kettle. I have nothing to say about the quality of the Sabco FB (since I've never held one), but according to their website, they use the same material as Jay, and the same spot welded hinge construction. Also the price is very comparable. The main selling point for me is the handle. Makes it a lot easier to get the thing in and out of the keggle. Sabco doesn't offer one, Jaybird does. That made the decision for me.

Back