Yellow leaves/wilt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerdman8

Reaction score
Folks,

Two of my Cascade plants have yellow leaves and some wilting going on. The problem is only on the first 5-6 feet of each plant, the other areas look fine (for now).

Specifics: Both plants are in containers with drainage holes. They are both first year growth, as I split an existing plant into several rhizomes. Weatherwise, I'm in Central MD, so we had a long winter, followed by an actual spring (a rarity here), and now we're having 85°F+ days. I fertilize once a week with a "natural" sugar beet fertilizer. Aside from the fertilizer, I only water if we've had no rain for 3-4 days. I've killed a fair share of caterpillars and Japanese beetles; you can see they've left some damage to my leaves.

Any ideas? Thanks!

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

My first thought is a nitrogen deficiency based on the photos and the fact the yellowing is towards the bottom. With that said I'm curious what your numbers are on your fertilizer, especially when you are feeding them weekly. Could also simple be too much feeding, again based on your fert numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The fertilizer is 8-0-0. I've used this the past three years and had no issues with my plants. Not a very scientific approach, I realize.

Perhaps ur looking at a potash deficiency considering you are only providing nitro. While hops love nitro, all plant life require some balanced nutrition. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back