Hops growing slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanAequitas

Reaction score
So I'm in Texas, east of Dallas area. Bought n planted three rhizomes this spring, Northern Brewer, Chinook, and Fuggles. Planted on the side of the house,, got lots of afternoon sun (might get hot off the brick but I figured after a couple years they'll grow in thick, plus this was more experimental fun than serious hop growing.

They all seem to have just stopped..
Fuggles has four bines, 2-3 ft, 7ft, 1ft, and 3-4ft. Haven't gotten bigger in weeks.
Chinook never popped up, so ignoring it.
Northern Brewer has one bine that hit ~15ft (first to sprout through the mulch), but stopped growing up, but it has slowly added leaves / arms at most of the leaf clusters, maybe 3-4in out. Not much growth though, certainly not a foot, or even an inch on two, per day.

Soaker hose for 15-30min 5-6 days a week, has good drainage. I don't think the brick is too hot, as the leaves aren't burning/browning at all?

I think in my area that hops grow vertically until sometime in late July or August, then stop and focus on cone production. I don't know how they handle your climate, but first year bines reaching 7ft and 15ft sounds good to me.

Ah mkay. I wos expecting more growth, especially from the shorter ones.
Pretty dry and an the warmer side here, temps are usually low of 70s to upper 90s all day.

Latest posts

Back