Yeast weirdness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
I just brewed a Fullers ESB clone that turned out very close to the target OG. I was stoked. When I popped the nutrient packet in my yeast and went to pitch it, I may not have shaken it well enough or something. It was really clumpy but I pitched it anyway because it was a long day and I didnt really see any other viable alternative.

It's a little late now but is that clumpy yeast going to make my beer icky? Should it be okay? What did I do wrong, anything? Thanks.

Oh, the yeast is:

London ESB Ale Activator Wyeast ACT1968.

That strain is the Wyeast equivalent of White labs 002. It is a very high flocculating strain, meaning that it clumps up and falls to the bottom very well, leaving you with a clear beer. It appears clumpy in the package. This would be cause for concern with most other strains, but it's normal for ESB. As long as you got it all out of the pouch you should be fine.

I may not have gotten all if it. Some was clumped behind the nutrient packet and down in the corner of the pack. I think I got most of it though. What if I left a bit of it in the pack? Wont the yeast multiply?

That yeast is so clumpy/flocculant it almost requires stirring to complete attenuation, but that's normal for it. I looked at it under a microscope back in the '90s; it forms strands (psuedohyphae) way more than any other yeast I've ever looked at. Swirl the carboy gently a time or two and avoid aeration.
It'll multiply, so no worries.

Back