yeast storage question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorcycleMatt

Reaction score
Hey,

Ive recently gotten into brewing beer myself, I remember helping my dad when i was younger. I am planning on doing my first batch this Sunday.

Im making a sierra nevada porter clone and realized i ordered an extra liquid yeast vial. Can i put it in the fridge and use it in a couple of weeks? I ask because i plan on doing an ipa shortly after i get my porter in the primary.

Thanks

absolutely. Don't crack it open and store in the fridge until you are are ready to brew the ipa. I would investigate starters however.

The other thing you might want to consider is pitching both vials in your current brew. What's the planned OG of the brew? Generally speaking, if the OG will be much higher than 1.050 or 1.060, you'll want to at least pitch 2 vials - check out the yeast pitching calculator at mrmalty.com, which is a great tool for figuring out pitching rates based on a ton of variables.

Thanks for the replies. The Og is 1.060 for the porter. mrmatly was saying i need 2 vials if i dont make a starter, but i was planning on doing a 24 hour starter with 1 vial. I have multiple primaries so i was hoping to use the other yeast in another brew, but I can always get more. I think the brew bug has bitten me!

I found a few extract recipes that use the same yeast, its the white labs 001 California ale yeast. Im not against experimenting also

I keep mine as far back in the fridge as I can. I figure the colder (above freezing) and more stable I keep the temp the longer the yeast will stay mostly viable.

Latest posts

Back