Yeast Safale american (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxlavio

Reaction score
Hello,for my IPA I used Safale american (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast.

First time.

I do not know the following for this king of yeast:

time and temperature : first fermentation

time and temperature : second fermentation

Thanks
Max

Hello,for my IPA I used Safale american (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast.

First time.

I do not know the following for this king of yeast:

time and temperature : first fermentation

time and temperature : second fermentation

Thanks
Max
I ferment US-05 at 65°F to 68°F. Above and below those temperatures a "peach" flavor can show up in the beer. I keep the temperature in this range until active fermentation is done, and the yeast in fermentation is no longer producing heat. This is about four or five days. The temperature can then be held or allowed to rise a degree or two.
My beer is in the primary for three weeks. At the end of three weeks the beer is clear and ready to bottle.
I no longer use a secondary.

^+1. Mid-60'sF at least until initial fermentation slows down. Then let it climb a couple degrees to ensure it finishes if you like. I've let it go down after the exothermic heat of initial fermentation dies down & gotten clear, clean beer.:mug:

I try and let it ferment with ambient temps around 65F - 68F. After a week or 2 I move it so the ambient temp is around 70F and then it sits there for another week or 2.

I just finished an IPA with this yeast, kept the temp at 63F - 64F the entire time. It's the best beer I've made so far, no 'peachy' flavors for me.

I just finished an IPA with this yeast, kept the temp at 63F - 64F the entire time. It's the best beer I've made so far, no 'peachy' flavors for me.

I did not notice the peach flavor until I brewed a dry Irish stout with the yeast, at those same temperatures.
Raised the fermentation temperature for my American amber ale, which had also been at the same temperature, but without the noticeable peach flavor, and the amber ale taste was greatly improved. The hops probably obscured the peach flavor, but with a higher fermentation temperature the hop and malt balance really came to the fore front.

The hops probably obscured the peach flavor.
If you say so. All I know is that I'm SUPER picky about my flavors and IPAs are my favorite style. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe the thermometer on my carboy is off a degree or two.

many thanks guys.

I did a first fermentation at 68F until it reached 1.008 (5 days). It's pretty clear! After that I dropped the temp at 66F (yesterday) for 2-3 weeks. I added some simcoe,citra,columbus,mosaic,centenial in my secondary to get some ipa flavor! it should be good!

^+1. Mid-60'sF at least until initial fermentation slows down. Then let it climb a couple degrees to ensure it finishes if you like. I've let it go down after the exothermic heat of initial fermentation dies down & gotten clear, clean beer.:mug:
Just to be sure I did a first fermentation at 68F until it reached 1.008 (5 days). It's pretty clear! After that I dropped the temp at 66F (yesterday) for the next 2-3 weeks.

There is some bubbles in my secondary, should I keep it at 66F or drop a bit to help for clarification? Thanks

You can keep the beer at 66°. The beer will clear at this temperature. CO2 that is remaining in solution will keep yeast and some particles in suspension. As the CO2 dissipates the excess yeast and particles will drop out.

Back