Help with second brew: red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aechavar

Reaction score
Hello, this is my Second brew. Im brewing a red ale, with the following ingredientes (they were sold to make a 1 gallón batch):
Vienna Best Malz 8-10 EBC --> 900 gram
Caramel Munich III Best Malz 131 - 200 EBC --> 100 grams
Warrior Hops 13,4% aa CROP 2022 USA --> 2 grams
Safale US-05 --> 1pack

I know the basics, what recipe should I follow?
How much should my mash time be, boiling time??
How much time should I leave my hops, flame in or flame out?
How much water should I use for my mash to prepare 1 gallo. And how much Safale should I toss???
What are the suggested times for fermentan and bottling.

Thanks

Last edited:
I’d recommend a brewing software that’s reputable, I like brewersfriend.com and the excel calculator that @VikeMan has built and shared. That said, garbage in, garbage out.

Typically mash length and boil length are 60 minutes each. If you get good conversation efficiency you can mash shorter.

For hops and bitterness, I’d shoot for 20-30 IBU’s. Most of that at the start of your boil with a little bit at the 5 minute remaining or flame out. Although traditionally used for bittering, I like a little warrior late in the boil.

As for water volume calculations, brewing software if helpful for that.

The key to all grain is taking good notes so you can accurately build recipes in the future.

Sounds like a normal mash (152F for 60 min) and boil (60 min, all hops at beginning). Pitch the whole pouch of yeast. Ferment 67F for a couple of weeks.

Like @Kickass said, though, check out brewersfriend.com. It will calculate the water for you.

Sounds like a normal mash (152F for 60 min) and boil (60 min, all hops at beginning). Pitch the whole pouch of yeast. Ferment 67F for a couple of weeks.

Like @Kickass said, though, check out brewersfriend.com. It will calculate the water for you.
the whole pack of yeast? Isnt that too much?

Back