Yeast crisis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Huisvrouw

Reaction score
OK, I won't bore you with all the tales of what went wrong as I brewed today, but I could just cry about the end of the story:

Was trying to make a Saison. Had some trouble locating Wyeast 3724 and then when I did find and order it, it had to come clear across country. It was in transit for 4 days on about the hottest week of the summer. And I've never used a smackpack before.

Anyhow, I'll be danged if I didn't truly believe that the little nutrient pack had arrived broken. The package was swollen an inch or two (the husband says I exaggerate and it was one at best) and I couldn't feel a little bladder in there. So I had it out on the counter all afternoon, hoping for the best, as I prepared the wort.

And then, at the moment of truth, I opened up the yeast package and found the bladder intact. What could I do? With the wort all cooled and in the fermenter, I had no time for making a starter. I panicked, and threw it all in there and closed down the lid.

The back of the package says to break the nutrient pouch and incubate it for a couple of hours "or immediately direct pitch into wort." That last part would be reassuring, except that all of you are all about starters and prudence.

I killed it, didn't I? :(

It should be fine. But if you haven't done so yet, aerate the heck out of it. Your yeast really need lots of oxygen if you underpitched. You can aerate up to about 14 hours into the ferment (probably a few hours longer for you since you didn't pitch a lot of yeast).

It's alive!! :fro:

Th'usband took me out to dinner last night to prevent me from doing harm to myself or that wort, and by the time we came back (say, 5 or 6 hours after I pitched the yeast), fermentation was starting. It's ticking along at about a bubble a minute right now.

Do I still need to aerate further, or just leave the poor beer alone?

You'll be happy to know all of the best ones I've made to date seem to have had some sort of glitch like that. The IPA blew off the airlock on the first night and after sitting there open all night, wouldn't you know this beer turned out great!

I just want to say that I LOVE this yeast. I've made 11 or 12 batches so far, and in all of them, the fermentation started and ended FAST. I was able to transfer a batch of Irish Red Ale to my secondary after just 3 days--but this one, that started perking on Saturday night, is still bubbling away here on Tuesday. I can't wait to taste the flavors this long fermentation time imparts. (Lagering for more than about 10 days is just not my strong suit.)

OK, I never thought a week ago that this would be the case, but 6 days after pitching the yeast, I'm still seeing bubbles in the airlock 5 or 6 times a minute. This is the first batch I've made where fermentation didn't seem to subside after a day or two, and while I know it's best to take it slow with Saisons, how slow is slow? I was planning on moving it to secondary tomorrow, but do I need to wait until fermentation completely stops? Also, how long will I need to leave it in secondary? (Up until recently I was only brewing single stage, so I have no idea.) I planned to keg it after about a week and let it condition in there. Is that OK, or do I really need to let it tie up my carboy for 4-6 weeks?

Any and all words of experience will be greatly appreciated!

J

The_Huisvrouw said:
OK, I never thought a week ago that this would be the case, but 6 days after pitching the yeast, I'm still seeing bubbles in the airlock 5 or 6 times a minute. This is the first batch I've made where fermentation didn't seem to subside after a day or two, and while I know it's best to take it slow with Saisons, how slow is slow? I was planning on moving it to secondary tomorrow, but do I need to wait until fermentation completely stops? Also, how long will I need to leave it in secondary? (Up until recently I was only brewing single stage, so I have no idea.) I planned to keg it after about a week and let it condition in there. Is that OK, or do I really need to let it tie up my carboy for 4-6 weeks?

Any and all words of experience will be greatly appreciated!

J
even with that beer I would use (as close as you can) the 1-2-3 rule BUT.... if your still fermenting at after the 1 week let her go. you dont take a steak off the BBQ just because the butcher said it would be done in ten min!!! no... you cook it " till its done" same with BEER if she blows for 10 days let her blow for ten days then move to secondary for the 2 weeks then condition for the 3 weeks.
just my .02
RDWHAHB:mug:
JJ

Latest posts

Back