Yeast Bay--offering some Brett blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long has it been in primary? It should be done at that gravity even with a 153 mash temp, but this isn't 3711 I think it still needs to be mashed low.

I mashed at 148 if memory serves me and used cane sugar, and it finished at 1.007.

I just kegged batch 2 of Jah-Rod (my Merica clone) with Wallonian, mashed at 147 with no sugar and it's 1.006.

It's been in primary for 10 days. It took off fast, but has been creeping since then. It was at 1.030 after 7 days. I'm in no rush, so I'll let it ride. I made this recipe a month back, but used belle saison. It was slow too, but it was also colder a month ago.

I bought a couple of vials of the Saison Blend. Planning on brewing up something that is mostly pils with a bit of rye malt in one and a bit of wheat in the other, both hopped with Nelson. Probably both have an OG around 1.050-55. Really looking forward to brewing. Anyone figure out what the strains were in this one?

I bought a couple of vials of the Saison Blend. Planning on brewing up something that is mostly pils with a bit of rye malt in one and a bit of wheat in the other, both hopped with Nelson. Probably both have an OG around 1.050-55. Really looking forward to brewing. Anyone figure out what the strains were in this one?

I have been getting into saison, hoping to make it my "house brew"
Id like to know how this turned out for you.

Can anyone give any further descriptors for the "mild funk" of the wallonian? Is it earthy, barnyard, pepper? Anyone have a preference between wallonian and the saison blend?

Thanks for any input.

Regarding preference between the two saison strains, I did a 7.5 gallon batch split between Saison Blend and Wallonian Farmhouse:

27 IBU's - a lot of styrian goldings late
1.053 OG

mashed at mid-140's (thermometer issues)
66% pils
20% wheat malt
7% munich
7% flaked corn

fermented around 70F

Wallonian Farmhouse FG: 1.005
Saison Blend FG: 1.008

I prefer the Saison Blend over the Wallonian. It has more esters and a more classic Saison flavor. The Wallonian definitely has a mild "funk" going on, but its hard to describe and pretty mild in my batch. Overall, I think the esters from the Blend are more prominent, and the Wallonian allowed the Styrian Goldings flavor to come through more. I prefer both over Wyeast 3711 though.

Regarding preference between the two saison strains, I did a 7.5 gallon batch split between Saison Blend and Wallonian Farmhouse:

27 IBU's - a lot of styrian goldings late
1.053 OG

mashed at mid-140's (thermometer issues)
66% pils
20% wheat malt
7% munich
7% flaked corn

fermented around 70F

Wallonian Farmhouse FG: 1.005
Saison Blend FG: 1.008

I prefer the Saison Blend over the Wallonian. It has more esters and a more classic Saison flavor. The Wallonian definitely has a mild "funk" going on, but its hard to describe and pretty mild in my batch. Overall, I think the esters from the Blend are more prominent, and the Wallonian allowed the Styrian Goldings flavor to come through more. I prefer both over Wyeast 3711 though.

The esters of the saison are definitely more prominent than in the Wallonian. The Wallonian has a kind of earthy funk that isn't covered up by other esters, which is something I personally like about the strain.

Have a couple 5 gallon batches of my rye saison fermenting with the saison/brett blend and hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Fermentation is smelling awesome. Question for anyone that has used this yeast, I know it's relatively new, but has anyone had any brett notes start to really come through yet? I'm wondering if the brett will make it's presence known within 6-8 weeks or if you all think this would be one that gets more brett forward around the 4-6 month mark. Either way I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

Have a couple 5 gallon batches of my rye saison fermenting with the saison/brett blend and hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Fermentation is smelling awesome. Question for anyone that has used this yeast, I know it's relatively new, but has anyone had any brett notes start to really come through yet? I'm wondering if the brett will make it's presence known within 6-8 weeks or if you all think this would be one that gets more brett forward around the 4-6 month mark. Either way I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

I've gotten some noticable Brett character out of the Saison/Brettanomyces Blend within 6-8 weeks, fermenting at ~70F. Probably depends on a number of factors though. With the Brett in there, you'll probably see a constant evolution even after bottling. Just make sure you hit a stable gravity before taking that step! I've had it go down to 1.004 within 10 days though and others report similar experiences, so you shouldn't have too much trouble in that department.

I finally got around to kegging my batch with the Wallonian Farmhouse yeast. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was having some slow fermentation, so I let it sit for a little while. I ended up getting 91% attenuation when all was said and done. Took it from 1.067 to 1.006. The sample at kegging was very promising. I'll update with a review of the final product.

I also have a vienna/amarillo SMaSH going right now with the Funktown strain. It's 3 weeks in and has attenuated to about 80% at this point. Some light fruit coming through, but no mild funk yet.

I finally got around to kegging my batch with the Wallonian Farmhouse yeast. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was having some slow fermentation, so I let it sit for a little while. I ended up getting 91% attenuation when all was said and done. Took it from 1.067 to 1.006. The sample at kegging was very promising. I'll update with a review of the final product.

I also have a vienna/amarillo SMaSH going right now with the Funktown strain. It's 3 weeks in and has attenuated to about 80% at this point. Some light fruit coming through, but no mild funk yet.

Any update on the tasting of the beer you made with the Wallonian Farmhouse?

Whaddya know? I got the exact same thing going right now. I did a no sparge/full volume V/A brew for Big Brew Day. No chill, 100% FWH for the actual boil, going to dry it hop it once I get some more attenuation.

The strange thing with mine is, I'm at 1.018 after a week +. I used yeast (it was a few weeks old but I used about 6oz of slurry). I had kind of thought maybe the brett would have continued growing over those few weeks so I was pitching more brett then sacch. It has been in the 68-70 range. I'm thinking of kicking it up into the low 70's, see if it drops some more. I'd like it more down in the 1012 area.

At the same time....the beer tastes great! Pretty full body considering a 154-155 mash. Comes it at 4.46% abv right now, and I have been into session beers lately so all may not be lost. I keg so no worries of bottle bombs if I rack it and just go with it. Very fruity, plenty of hop character without being overly bitter like every warned me would happen with 100% FWH.

As for the funk, Biobrewer told me this strain should be a fruit bomb brett, not a funk brett

Any update on the tasting of the beer you made with the Wallonian Farmhouse?

I still haven't gotten around to giving it a proper tasting. I've been on a bit of a digestive purge the past week and haven't been drinking. I'll be back in the game later this week and can update. I pitched a low gravity rye saison (1.038) on the Wallonian cake, too. I'm curious to see how that one ends up.

Whaddya know? I got the exact same thing going right now. I did a no sparge/full volume V/A brew for Big Brew Day. No chill, 100% FWH for the actual boil, going to dry it hop it once I get some more attenuation.

As for the funk, Biobrewer told me this strain should be a fruit bomb brett, not a funk brett

Right on. As of last week mine sitting at 4.7% ABV. It had a 60 minute addition, whirlpool addition, and dry hop addition. All 1 ounce each. Also did no-chill. I have the same recipe I did a couple weeks before using S-05 to compare it with. That's good about the fruit bomb. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the brett on this blend. It'll be interesting to compare notes. :mug:

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the brett on this blend. It'll be interesting to compare notes. :mug:

Definitely not a lot of funk. The Yeast Bay website states "The combination of the citrus/peach esters from the Vermont Ale strain and the light funk and pineapple/mango esters from the Brettanomyces produces a unique flavor and aroma profile that is fruit-forward." The blend seems to be intended to be more fruit-focused,but yu\ou can always funk it up with some extra Brett though!:D

Alright, got around the trying my finished Wallonian farmhouse beer.

Brewed on 3.30.14

6 gallon batch
10 lbs pils
1 lb Munich
1 lb Rye malt
1/2 Acidulated Malt
Single Infusion Mash at 153 for 60 mins.
Batch sparge
No-chill
1 oz Nelson Sauvin at 60
1 oz Nelson Sauvin at whirlpool
1 oz Nelson Sauvin at dry hop. Started dry hop when gravity was 1.020. Removed dry hops 4 days later when gravity was 1.013

OG:1.062
FG: 1.005
Sat in Primary 34 days total. Took 24 of those days to get all the way down to FG. It was fermented without control. Started at 75, dipped to 67 at its lowest. Ended high at 78. I pitched 1000ml real wort starter.

Finished product is light orange with a medium head. Very cloudy, but not any cloudier than most of my dry-hopped beers. Nelson Sauvin dominates the aroma with a little yeast hiding back in there somewhere. Taste starts off with a dry fruit from the Nelson Sauvin followed with a little earth and a very very mild phelolic twang. Twang might not be the right word as that kind of means funk or acid to me, but it's a twang on the the tongue nonetheless. The description of a mild funk on the Yeast Bay website is accurate. Finishes very dry.

Overall I really like this yeast. I'm glad I have another batch going that's lower gravity and a simpler hop and mash bill. That'll let the yeast shine.

A+. Would recommend. :mug:

YHszWhq.jpg

Here's another update on the beers I brewed with the saison/brett blend. I bottled a beer that was inoculated in secondary with the Lochristi blend this week too, so I should have some notes on that in a few weeks.

My SMaSH is down to 1012 now and tasting pretty good. A little acetaldehyde, so I'm going to give it a bit more time before I toss a handful of Amarillo in.

I used half of a 10 batch of enkel with the saison brett blend. Nothing to report on that yet. Well over a week, still huge krausen!

I thought I'd post this here for anyone who doesn't follow The Yeast Bay on Facebook. Some pretty exciting products on their way:

We're pleased to announce that we're in the final stages of banking some new isolates with White Labs, and we'll be adding 4 new cultures to The Yeast Bay lineup in the near future:

Mélange ---- A sour ale blend that is a diverse mix of organisms, intended for use in the production sour beers in which a balance of funk and sourness is desired. This blend contains two Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolates, Saccharomyces fermentati, eight Brettanomyces isolates, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus delbrueckii and Pediococcus damnosus.

Amalgamation ---- A blend of six of our favorite Brettanomyces isolates. This will produce a bright beer that is well attenuated with pleasant fruit forward flavors and some nice funk on the nose.

Dry Belgian Ale ---- A single strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from a unique golden strong ale, and a real beast. The profile is a complex and balanced mix of fruit (apple, pear, light citrus) with some spicy and peppery notes. The apparent attenuation of this strain ranges anywhere from 95-100%. For a yeast that's as dry as it is, it creates beers with a surprising amount of balance even without the use of specialty grains or adjuncts. While we haven't completed our own tests in house, this yeast is used at the brewery from which it was isolated to make very big beers in the neighborhood of 12-16% ABV and quite dry. Use this as a primary fermentor in any big Belgian beer, or to unstick that pesky stuck fermentation.

Farmhouse Sour Ale ---- This is a blend of two of our farmhouse/saison Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains, Lactobacillus brevis and Lactobacillus delbrueckii. This blend can be used for the production of farmhouse/saison style beers in which a sour/lactic character is desired without Brettanomyces funk.

We're hoping that the banking process for our new isolates will be completed soon and in time for us to include these new products in our next order. It's currently looking like the early July time frame.
Cheers, and thanks for your continued support!

Very cool. I'm curious though about the blends that tyb and ecy do with 6-12 strains. Seems like it would be too many variables to actually understand what each element is offering. Do they vet each strain and then blend a few and work their way up. Or do the just throw them all in and say "wheeee!"

Conventional wisdom says that with sours, the more the merrier. It's often recommended to pitch as many bottle dregs as possible to ensure you get an interesting beer and that one microbe doesn't take over and create a one dimensional beer.

I think that a lot of sour blends can be one dimensional as a result of low organism diversity, specifically on the Brettanomyces end. I think the Melange has potential to be very characterful. The other new blends/strains look good as well!

I just brewed up a standard saison with the saison brett blend 2 weeks ago. Haven't checked the gravity yet but took a peek today and it smells absolutely heavenly. Fermentation took a couple days to take off and ended up free rising to 78 (terribly hot all last week) over the course of 3 days and just upped it to 80 today for what will be another week. I'm not sure how long to keep it in primary before racking to secondary tho. What have all you guys done with your batches? Leave it on the cake the entire time?....

I transferred my batches to secondary after about 6 days, but I do that with most of my beers because it makes sense with my process---I don't think its necessary. I bottled after about 6 weeks, at between 1.003-4, and so far I haven't seen much further increase in carbonation. However all the beers I have left are in heavy bottles just in case, though the bottles I drank young were all regular 12ozs.

I transferred my batches to secondary after about 6 days, but I do that with most of my beers because it makes sense with my process---I don't think its necessary. I bottled after about 6 weeks, at between 1.003-4, and so far I haven't seen much further increase in carbonation. However all the beers I have left are in heavy bottles just in case, though the bottles I drank young were all regular 12ozs.

Which yeasts/blends are we talking about here?

I did a preliminary tasting of my split Rye Saison between the Lochristi, Beersel, and Brussels blends in secondary. The Lochristi needs more conditioning time before I write it off, it tasted under attenuated at 1.003.

Im posting a full review next weekend.

Edit: the Lochristi version had only been in the bottle for 12 days while the other 2 had been bottled for 5+ weeks . So it really is far too young in the bottle to pass any judgement at all.

I did a preliminary tasting of my split Rye Saison between the Lochristi, Beersel, and Brussels blends in secondary. The Lochristi needs more conditioning time before I write it off, it tasted under attenuated at 1.003.

I think jack_a_roe was asking about the saison/brett blend. That was the one I was talking about anyway.

Looking forward to your tasting notes: I'm giving the beer I brewed with the Lochristi blend more time too, not particularly excited about it yet.

With respect to the Saison/Brett, you can definitely rack if you want. There will likely be a ton of yeast left in suspension. Or, if you're getting good flavor development in primary and no noticeable off flavors, you can always let it sit for a while longer while it continues to develop.

With respect to the Brett blends, I've really liked the Lochristi and Beersel in primary. I had nice flavor development after about 3 months. Here's a review someone else posted on Reddit's homebrewing sub about the Beersel Blend:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/27ui0s/the_yeast_bays_beersel/

Haven't heard much about the Brussels yet though in the way of reviews.

I was indeed talking about the saison with brett blend, not the brett blends by themselves.

and wow metic, i figured i wouldn't even check my gravity until 3 weeks but after seeing you were that far along after 6 days i had to check. down to 1.004 already!

Looking forward to your review of the Brussels blend. I recently used their Wallonian saison yeast, which was nicely fruity, and pitched two vials of the Brussels blend in secondary (the vials were a couple of months old, and I didn't have another beer that I wanted to pitch the second vial into). The vial of the Brussels blend smelled incredible, like a really funky Cantillon!

According to a recent mailing, there are two new Sour Blends and a large Brett Blendbecoming available through The Yeast Bay on August 1st at 12 PM PST:

Mélange - "If you dig using a diverse array of unique organisms to create balanced sour beers, this delightful medley of microbes is sure to please!

Mélange is our most varied mix of fermentative organisms, intended for use in the production of sour beers in which a balance of funk and sourness is desired. This blend contains two Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolates, Saccharomyces fermentati, five Brettanomyces isolates, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus delbreuckii and Pediococcus damnosus.
Expect this blend to take 3-6+ months to create desired levels of funk and sourness, depending upon the temperature. We recommend starting with a fermentation temperature of 70-72 ºF for the first few days, and then raising the temperature to 75-80 ºF to encourage development of funk (Brettanomyces) and sourness (Lactobacillus, Pediococcus). "

Farmhouse Sour Ale - "Farmhouse Sour Ale is a blend of Saccharomyces and Lactobacillus. It was formulated for brewers wishing to create a saison with a balanced acid profile that complements the complex esters of our unique farmhouse/saison yeast strains, but without the Brettanomyces funk.
This blend contains two farmhouse/saison Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolates, Lactobacillus brevis, and Lactobacillus delbreuckii. The two Saccharomyces strains will combine to create a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest, accompanied by a mild earthiness and spiciness. The two Lactobacillus strains will produce a balanced acid profile, given a suitable supply of accessible carbohydrates that remain after the bulk of fermentation has been completed by Saccharomyces.
Expect this blend to take 1-3 months to begin creating appreciable levels of acidity, depending upon the fermentation temperature. Higher mash and fermentation temperatures will produce elevated levels of acidity."

Amalgamation - "Amalgamation is the union of our six favorite Brettanomyces isolates from our microbe library. Each isolate produces a unique bouquet of bright and fruity flavors and aromas, and the combination of all of them into one blend results in the coalescence of these unique flavors and aromas into something truly special.
Expect this blend to create a dry beer with a bright and complex fruit-forward flavor and aroma, accompanied by some funk on the nose."

Also an unique, high attenuating Belgian Golden Strong Ale strain:

Dry Belgian Ale - "Dry Belgian Ale is single strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from a unique golden strong ale. The profile is a complex and balanced mix of apple, pear and light citrus fruit with some mild spicy and peppery notes. The apparent attenuation of this strain ranges anywhere from 85-100%, depending upon the mash profile and the grist composition.
For a yeast that's as dry as it is, it creates beers with a surprising amount of balance even without the use of specialty grains or adjuncts. While we haven't completed our own tests in house, this yeast is used at the brewery from which it was isolated to make big beers that are in the neighborhood of 12-16% ABV and sufficiently dry. Use Dry Belgian Ale as a primary fermenter in any big Belgian beer, or to unstick that pesky stuck fermentation.
To achieve high attenuation, we recommend fermenting with this strain at 70-71 ºF for the first 2-3 days, and then bumping up the temperature to 74-75 ºF for the remainder of fermentation."

Lots of sours in the works!

The farmhouse sour seems really interesting, but I wonder how acidic it will get. The saison yeast won't leave much for the lacto to eat.

The farmhouse sour seems really interesting, but I wonder how acidic it will get. The saison yeast won't leave much for the lacto to eat.

It will probably be beneficial to start it at a higher temperature and hold there to kick start the Lacto and get the acidity up. Since the Saison yeast can probably handle a temperature of 80 F, that's probably the way to go to get the most out of the Lacto.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My saison/brett blend fermentation is only 3 weeks in, but it's blowing off an insanely strong urinal cake aroma, with very little classic saison flavor to speak of.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My saison/brett blend fermentation is only 3 weeks in, but it's blowing off an insanely strong urinal cake aroma, with very little classic saison flavor to speak of.

Not that I've seen or experienced. Metic wrote this a while back in the thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/yeast-bay-offering-some-brett-blends-460401/index6.html

Also, another blog post from earlier in the thread:

http://browneandbitter.blogspot.com/2014/04/spelt-saison-with-yeast-bay-saisonbrett.html

My personal experience with this blend has been fairly positive and the saison and Brett components both came through well. Might be a process or contamination issue if you have some serious off flavors?

What hops did you use? In my third generation pitch I used a LOT of Nelson Sauvin, and the final beer had some strange funk that verged on something like urine cake. If I dig a bit I can get something like the same aromas if I go back to my first two saisons (which are definitely pretty funky at this point), but they don't strike me as at all offensive there, so I think that the hops are accentuating something in the blend. These were also slightly older hops, which probably didn't help. Even in the third beer, I only get the occasional whiff---definitely not insanely strong, and plenty of saison character along with it.

I kegged my brett saison last night. Just about a month at stable gravity (1.007), it was probably a bit early but, i needed the carboy and it tastes really good. Great thing with kegging is the beer doesn't have to be absolutely finished with the bottle bomb threat. Plus it might pick up more funk over time under pressure.

Really enjoyed this blend! I will be picking up more when i order tomorrow. I really suggest trying this one if you have not already.

The Yeast Bay just sent this update out about availability of their new cultures, including three sour/Brett cultures:

"The presale for our new products (Mélange, Amalgamation, Farmhouse Sour Ale and Dry Belgian Ale) starts today at 12 PM PST. See the links below for information about our new cultures. We will also be carrying White Labs Lactobacillus brevis, which produces a higher level of acidity faster than other Lactobacillus cultures we've used. Remember, all orders containing these cultures will ship out on Thursday August 7th.

On a related note, we have two new large homebrew outfits in Canada, in addition to OntarioBeerKegs, who will be placing orders in the near future which include the new cultures. So, these new products should be available in Canada in short order. We'll be sure to fill you all in with details through our mailings and on Facebook once the orders are placed.

Cheers!

Nick

The Yeast Bay"

More sour cultures!

The Yeast Bay just sent this update out about availability of their new cultures, including three sour/Brett cultures:

"The presale for our new products (Mélange, Amalgamation, Farmhouse Sour Ale and Dry Belgian Ale) starts today at 12 PM PST. See the links below for information about our new cultures. We will also be carrying White Labs Lactobacillus brevis, which produces a higher level of acidity faster than other Lactobacillus cultures we've used. Remember, all orders containing these cultures will ship out on Thursday August 7th.

On a related note, we have two new large homebrew outfits in Canada, in addition to OntarioBeerKegs, who will be placing orders in the near future which include the new cultures. So, these new products should be available in Canada in short order. We'll be sure to fill you all in with details through our mailings and on Facebook once the orders are placed.

Cheers!

Nick

The Yeast Bay"

More sour cultures!

YESSS! Farmhouse Sour here I come. Also pumped about that Dry Belgian Yeast. The Brett Blend sounds interesting as well. I may pick it up as well as long as I can get in on the presale today.

Edit: I'm going to need some more carboys.

YESSS! Farmhouse Sour here I come. Also pumped about that Dry Belgian Yeast. The Brett Blend sounds interesting as well. I may pick it up as well as long as I can get in on the presale today.

Edit: I'm going to need some more carboys.

I think we ALL need more carboys!

Back