Wyeast London Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
I just got a robust porter kit from midwest brewing and I upgraded to the wyeast London ale yeast.

On the London ale package it says this yeast should be used with beers that the OG reading should be up to 1.060. And the OG range on the robust porter kit is 1.063-1.067.

The wyeast package says that more yeast might be needed if you have a higher gravity beer.

Do I need to get another package of yeast or does the .003-.007 different really not make a difference?

Thank you for the help!

It's not going to matter much but do yourself and your beers a favor and get into the habit of making a yeast starter in the future. Far better and less money than just buying another container of yeast.

The instructions on the wyeast pack are somewhat misleading.

To get optional pitching you will need to make a starter. Basically what is means is making a small 2L batch of 1.035SG beer (minus hops) and adding the yeast to that 24 hours in advance and then adding that to your fermenator on bre day.

There are a whole bunch of formulas for working out the exact volume you need to make that factor in the expiry date of the yeast, the gravity, volume and aeration method of the wort for the starter.

But if you stick with 2L at 1.035 it will be in the right ball park.

It will not be optimal to just use the one smack pack for your beer but unless you are into competitions, I doubt you'll know the difference. I'd just dump that smack pack in an call it beer. There are lots of other ways to make sub-optimal beers that you probably haven't even considered yet. Work on them.

It will not be optimal to just use the one smack pack for your beer but unless you are into competitions, I doubt you'll know the difference. I'd just dump that smack pack in an call it beer. There are lots of other ways to make sub-optimal beers that you probably haven't even considered yet. Work on them.

I don't fully agree. Yeast starters are a basic common practice among home brewers and should be used all the time if you want to drink good beer. Yeast starters are not only used for competitions. I used to get the occasional stuck fermentation before I learned how to make starters. It is definitely worth learning how to make yeast starters, even if you've only been brewing for six months.

sorry, thought you were being sarcastic. My mistake.

I don't fully agree. Yeast starters are a basic common practice among home brewers and should be used all the time if you want to drink good beer. Yeast starters are not only used for competitions. I used to get the occasional stuck fermentation before I learned how to make starters. It is definitely worth learning how to make yeast starters, even if you've only been brewing for six months.

I doubt that making yeast starters is a common practice among beginners. They brew a batch, open a smack pack, or a vial, or a dry yeast and dump it in and make beer. I will agree that that isn't the best practice but I still doubt that the yeast starter is the most important item for the new brewer. I have trouble believing it is that important to the experienced brewer either after reading this article about someone's experience with pitching rates. Note that the over pitch was about 5 times the recommended amount and the under pitch was about 1/8 recommended. All 3 made drinkable beer. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/pitching-rate-experiment-part-deux-results/

Back