Wyeast London Ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
I just got a robust porter kit from midwest brewing and I upgraded to the wyeast London ale yeast.

On the London ale package it says this yeast should be used with beers that the OG reading should be up to 1.060. And the OG range on the robust porter kit is 1.063-1.067.

The wyeast package says that more yeast might be needed if you have a higher gravity beer.

Do I need to get another package of yeast or does the .003-.007 different really not make a difference?

Thank you for the help!

You should make a starter or get more yeast. Even though they say on the package it's good for up to 5 gallons of 1.060 wort it's really pushing it. Use more yeast and pitch it into wort in the low 60's and let it rise to the temp you want to ferment at. The directions on the package are designed to ensure fermentation starts with a minimal amount of yeast, but aren't really the best way to make the best beer.

Latest posts

Back