Wyeast 3711 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Saison with 3711 and I'm on day 6 of primary, I had it at 65* for 3 days and then let it free rise to 77* after that.
Today I looked at it and the krausen had completely disappeared all the sudden but it's still bubbling furiously, is this a normal thing with this yeast? Any other differences in the way this yeast acts that I should know?
Maybe I'm just used to cal ale.

There is a lot of threads on this forum about this yeast. It has the unique ability to attenuate very low, yet retain a bit of body. Don't even think about bottling until > 1.004.

It is not fussy at all about fermentation temps like typical saison yeasts. It will go as low as 60F and temps of 85-90F do not produce any noticeable fusels. Don't bother mashing at higher temps to retain body, it doesn't care. Adding oatmeal/wheat/rye can add some mouth feel.

You will get a lot of fruitiness when fresh, but after 3-4 weeks of conditioning it gives way to a slight spice/ citrus character that can be accentuated with flavor hops of the same. Because it finishes bone dry, bitterness is pronounced. I cut my bittering charge in half, and go for a larger flavor addition.

For me the yeast was a bit of a let down flavor wise. At bottling time it was full of fruit and spice that I was after. By the time it carbed, the fruit was barely noticeable, 6 weeks completely gone. If your used to Cal Ale, you will probably love it. After conditioning, it finishes crisp, dry, and slightly tart and spicy.

I do love the way this yeast finishes in a fast predictable manner. I will start a batch with a yeast to give me the flavors I'm after, and finish it with the 3711.

Fallen krausen but continuing to bubble is very common with this yeast. My saison last year took 3.5 weeks to hit final gravity, and this was at about 74 F. Many report it finishing earlier but I'm not certain I believe them unless finishing in the 80s or something.

When I used 3711 I found the airlock behavior to be puzzling too - it would bubble, then stop, then bubble again - just all over the place. However, after a month and letting it go to the mid 70's it got my farmhouse saison down to 1.004 and yielded a great beer. Be patient and 3711 will give you a solid brew!

I just used this yeast to dry out an Imperial IPA batch. My Imperial IPAs have typically been a bit too sweet for my tastes. Gravity went from OG of 1.070 down to 1.020 on Wyeast 1272. Then I re-pitched with the 3711. Krausen disappeared within a few days of the re-pitch.

This was a sloppy batch that I just threw hop pellets into during fermentation. I also didn't wait for reasonable confirmation that fermentation was over before bottling. Final gravity was still at 1.010 when I bottled using a half batch of priming sugar, so i was a little worried about bottle bombs.

Two weeks later, this is a fantastic beer with citrus overtones and just a hair bitter for my tastes. Carbonation seems perfect. I've been opening a bottle every day or so to monitor its progress. If I have any willpower, I'll keep a few bottles to try in 6 to 8 weeks.

I'm about to start another batch, but this time will monitor everything properly. Going to use a single hop (Mosaic) except for the dry hop addition during secondary (Citra). I think this is going to end up being my signature beer. I love way 3711 took this beer to the next level.

Sounds like what I'm seeing is normal for this yeast, awesome.
I plan on keeping it in the primary for 30 days, do any of you guys package your beers with this yeast as soon as fermentation is done, or do you age it for any long period of time?

Thanks!

Sounds like what I'm seeing is normal for this yeast, awesome.
I plan on keeping it in the primary for 30 days, do any of you guys package your beers with this yeast as soon as fermentation is done, or do you age it for any long period of time?

Thanks!

When it's done it's done. Fresher is better. It won't get better with age unless maybe it's a super high strength beer >8% ABV.

Latest posts

Back