Wyeast 1332 in an Irish Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarEagleBrewer

Reaction score
So, the closest HBS is 45 from me. Luckily, a co-worker lives where, so I had him pick up some stuff for me over the weekend. I have an Irish Red scheduled in the near future, so I asked for WLP004 or Wyeast 1084. I GOT....Wyeast 1332.:confused: So, reading, I see this is similar? to other English strains. Should I try it in the RED, or just save it from something else?

So, the closest HBS is 45 from me. Luckily, a co-worker lives where, so I had him pick up some stuff for me over the weekend. I have an Irish Red scheduled in the near future, so I asked for WLP004 or Wyeast 1084. I GOT....Wyeast 1332.:confused: So, reading, I see this is similar? to other English strains. Should I try it in the RED, or just save it from something else?

I just used 1332 in a Milk Stout that started at 1.060 and finished at 1.022. This is a pretty low attenuating yeast and did a good job for my intended purpose with the milk stout for residual sweetness and mouthfeel. Depends on what you are looking for, but expect it to finish in the 1.020 or higher range...or at least mine did. But factor in I used 1# lactose so this will have some influence on the final outcome. If you do use the 1332, you may want to bump temps closer to 70F since I did mine at 65F for two weeks.

I did an Irish Red back before Christmas and used 1084 (like you intended) and got superior results. May be worth waiting on and use the 1332 in a milk stout if you like them at all.

I have never fermented with an Irish ale yeast but my understanding is they combine the lower attenuation of English ale yeasts with the clean finish of American ale yeasts. In this case Wyeast 1332 should be a fair American substitution since it attenuates less than the standard WLP001/Wy1056/US-05. I would mash high to ensure moderate/low attenuation and malty profile.

Back