How much impact does yeast have on an Irish Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

In the summer of 2011, my wife gave me a Groupon for a beer starter kit for my birthday. It was for the typical 5-gallon bucket setup, and came with a kit for an IPA, Irish Red Ale or a stout. Since my wife won't drink IPAs or stouts, I ordered the Irish Red Ale.

I brewed that kit on September 3, 2011. An easy date to remember, because I joined this forum the next day when I got up and my beer was fermenting like crazy at 85 degrees or so. I don't remember a lot about the beer. It was drinkable, as we finished off every bottle, but I'm sure it wasn't the best.

I've brewed an Irish Red Ale a time or two since, but it's been five years since my last one. I thought it would be fun to revisit the same kit for a tenth brewing anniversary beer.

I'm sure my original kit came with dry yeast; but no idea which one. I used Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) for the batch five years ago. Now the suggested yeasts for the kit are Nottingham dry yeast, Omega 009 (West Coast Ale II), Imperial A15 (Independence) and Wyeast 1272 (American Ale).

I was wondering how much impact yeast has on an Irish Red Ale, and if you have any suggestions for the one to go with?

Thanks for you input!

You can’t go wrong with Notty for a red ale. Good neutral yeast that stays out of the way of the malt. Flocs well. Reds can get kind of a sorghum flavor if your yeast adds the wrong character. I’m all about dry if it fits the bill.

Last edited:
You can’t go wrong with Notty for a red ale. Good neutral yeast that stays out of the way of the malt. Flocs well. Reds can get kind of a sorghum flavor if your yeast adds the wrong character. I’m all about dry if it fits the bill.

👍

Definitely two thumbs up for 'Notty. Some of my best Irish Reds have been fermented with Nottingham. It's a remarkable yeast all around. It's the one
yeast I prefer in dry form to liquid. Never had a bad experience with it, but can't say the same about the White Labs liquid Notty.

Strong finisher, highly flocculent, works really well in Irish Red Ales. Concentrate more on your grist bill and mash, then stand back and let Nottingham do the rest.

Brooo Brother

I've used Nottingham on other beers; it is definitely a beast! Half the cost of liquid yeast, no starter and no concerns with temps during shipping. Sounds like the way to go.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Back