WOW! Talk about bitter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I made a mistake on my (pseudo) Stone IPA cloneish beer - here is the recipe

Grain Bill

13 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
Hop Schedule

1 oz - Magnum (75 Min.)
1 oz - Centennial - at Flameout
2 oz - Centennial - Dry Hop in secondary
Yeast

Notty Dry

I followed this recipe (sorta) as I used the Magnums in the FWH (just to try it out) and I totally forgot the centenials at flameout. The beer went into the primary, centenialless and sat for over 2 weeks in the temp controlled ferm cab.

I just kegged it the other night, and stuffed an herb ball full of 1.5 oz of Centenial and 1.5 oz of Cascade. The herb ball is now sitting on the bottom of the keg as the thread used to keep it suspended broke.

For ****s and giggles, I hooked it up to the liquid discharge of my kegerator just to take a taste and DAMN THATS BITTER!!!

I know that beer always tends to taste better once its chilled a bit and has adequate time to age and dry hop, but did I mention DAMN THATS A BITTER BEER?

Interested to see how this one turns out. I brewed another batch this weekend with the same grain bill, an oz of Warrior (FWH again) an oz of Cascades throughout the boil, and an oz of Cents at flameout. (pitched on the yeast cake - that was a cool 'first' for me as well - neato burrito)

I guess thats the cool thing about brewing 'off' batches - like an ugly child to a mother, noone else wants to drink it. (Not implying that mothers like to drink ugly children...) You get the point. :cross:
-Me

I personally have not liked the high AA bittering hops for FWH.

Did you take into account the increased FWH utilization?

I've considered FWH for the pound of bravo hops I have. Probably would be too much they are 15% AA. I am using 1oz on a 12.5 gallon batch.

Magnum has a low cohumulone level so the bitter should be fairly smooth. That is a damn lot of IBU's for a low gravity beer tho... I use that much in my double IPA plus a touch of chinook for the contrasting bitterness.

If he let's it sit the hop aroma will fade alot. You will want to hit it with another dry hop if you plan to let it age that long.

Crap... I guess I should have read a little more about FWH before I just start arbitrarily doing stuff off the cuff on brewday. LOL That makes sense, and Im sure I will enjoy this bitter hop monster eventually.

So - for my existing batch in the primary Im thinking that the results are going to be quite similar. I did another FWH with the whole oz of mags, an oz of cascades went in small increments for the first 30 minutes and an oz of cents went in at flameout. It was pitched on the yeast cake of its bitter brother and just pulled the blow off from it.
Should I add some sugars of sorts to boost the gravity, or just throw caution to the wind and dry hop the hell out of it too? (Even with that small grain bill)
Thanks
-Me

Magnum has a low cohumulone level so the bitter should be fairly smooth. That is a damn lot of IBU's for a low gravity beer tho... I use that much in my double IPA plus a touch of chinook for the contrasting bitterness.

I calculated his gravity at 1.087?

I also calculated about 50 IBUs?

Why would you call this a low gravity beer?

Mmmmmmmm, I tried a warm (uncarbed) pull of this beer last night. Granted its only been dry hopping for close to a week, it was still mighty tasty! Im really surprised because I thought the bitterness would be a little 'too' much on this beer, but it finishes really nicely and agrees with my palette.
Beer makes me happy sometimes. (Well, 99% of the time)
-Me

Back