Would you dry hop an English Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't -- when I make a brown ale I'm looking for a maltier profile. Of course, that isn't to say you can't dry hop a brown ale. It might be interesting to do so; I would probably cut back a bit on my later hop additions.

If you do, use a very small amount. From memory I've had a brown (maybe a nutbrown) ale dry hopped with amarillo. Didn't remember any hoppy flavour in the initial drink but burping afterwards they were sure there.

Just realised that was back in 2008... obviously I need to get drinking more as my memory is too good.

Be careful with the hops. You must be looking at a Northern English Brown. You should be shooting for little/no hop flavour and quite reserved hop aroma. Be sure to use a proper English hop variety. Review the BJCP guidelines while formulating your recipe.

Are you looking to enter it in a competition? If not, do whatever you think will make you happiest with your brew. To me, dry hopping the brown ale seems odd, but give it a try.

Why not split the batch to see the differences between a dry hopped and non dry hopped batch (if you have the containers)...I'd be interesting in hearing what the differences in a aroma and taste might be!

After brewing/tasting an English bitter,& knowing they like the malty side,I'd def say no. English ales are generally not hoppy brews.

Back