Wort O2 infusion ring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E_Marquez

Reaction score
What does a new brewer that builds, fabricates, tunes, machines bits of metal, motorcycles and cars for fun?

He builds brewing bits and pieces of course.

So I read it on the internet :D

And thus it must be true :drunk:

Aerating wort going from the pot to fermentation bucket is good.
Stealing the air pump off your wifes fish tank and pumping air is better.
Aerating wort with O2 is GREAT..
I have several O2 tanks at the house.... why not use $.05 worth to infuse my wort :mug:

So for my seconded ever brew....I built a simple copper tube ring to attache to one of my O2 regulators and bubble up the wort after pouring into the bucket.

I had some 3/8 soft copper tube on hand, and a T fitting...., thus that's what got used.

Hand formed a ring from a 24" piece of 3/8 tube.
Drilled a bunch of 1/16" holes in the top of the ring.
Flushed the ring with a 1300PSI pressure washer.
Then silver soldered the ring into the T fitting.
Flushed the ring with a 1300PSI pressure washer.
Added a 24" riser to the T fitting and silver soldered it

Flushed the completed ring with hot water, then soaked in Starsan for 15 min.

Added a hunk of 3/8 food grade tubing to feed the ring from my O2 tank regulator,,, and that is about it.

Using just 3-5 psi on the regulator, the initial test in my wort pre chiller cooler filled with Starsan looked good.

Click picture for Video

Brewed up a 5 gal batch of Strong Ale, cooled using the chipper / prechiller I made bringing boiling wort down to 68 deg in under 11 min.

Then transferred wort to the bucket pouring through a strainer..
And then transferred the O2 infuser ring to the bucket (it was moved from Starsan bucket to boiling wort 15 min prior to the end of boil)

Gave the wort a 60 second blast at 7 PSI

Click picture for Video

Less then an hour in to fermentation at 70 deg ambient air temp in my beer room.
Click picture for Video

14 hours later (next morning)
Click picture for Video

Simple and effective..

If you don't have medical or welding O2, you can go with the $10 disposable tanks and a $20 regulator. I understand folks get about 10 batches of O2 infusion from one of those tanks...

Honestly, if you only brew a few times a year, that's what you should go with ./ as at that rate the $10 disposable tank will get you a few years of use.
If you brew weekly or several times or more a month,, go to your local welding supply shop and buy a small 80 CUFT or small tank and regulator. If your using welding tanks... I'd suggest a small HEPA filter in your air line as there really are very little purity controls (bug wise) on welding gases.

Nice build! And thanks for the tips about oxygen tanks... Have been considering buying a welding O2 tank.

Latest posts

Back