Worst Craft Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only brew that I thought was pretty good at BJ's brewhouse was the seasonal Grand Cru.
their FOOD is always good though and so is their service in No. Phoenix at Desert Ridge

Something I think missing from a lot of these types of discussions is how different and individualistic taste are. Just because I or you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad to others.

Sometimes I taste a commercial beer and wonder: "did anyone at the brewery taste this before sending it out"? But then I remember that I don't like a lot of things other people seem to be fond of....NASCAR, Mrs Pauls' fish sticks, Hillary...

Does your buddy at Rail Hop'n know your talking **** for him? Generally speaking that's not a very classy move. I'd be pissed as hell if someone threw my companie's name out there like that in a thread dedicated to bashing others in my industry.

I love it when people claim breweries like New Belgium and SA suck. I can assure you they are doing something right in the world of brewing. Beer is meant to be enjoyed, that's it, nothing more. Based on the volume of beer these guys produce there must be at least a few people out there who are enjoying the product.

To answer your question, yes he does. The conversation was had with many others present. There are also several reviews of the place that pretty much state the same. Since this is a thread basically "bashing" craft breweries, I felt my response was within the norm.

No devil's advocate required. (Curious that you capitalized "devil," though :)) New Belgium is clearly quasi-craft, mediocre, gateway beer. To me, flat tire is awful, but that's probably a style-preference thing. Add some hops, people!

Fat Tire IS awful (subjective opinion) - WAAAAAYY too much crystal malt so that it ends up saturating the palate with a heavy, cloying, almost oily film. Actually that tends to go for most Amber Ales for me, which is ahy I avoid the style like the plague. I agree - I think it's a gateway beer - one of those things that will appeal to non-beer drinkers because of its sweetness, and make them feel like they're drinking fine craft beer.

That is not to knock New Belgium in general - they have some other really good options. It's just that they made their name with Fat Tire, which I can't stand.

Fat Tire, I share a bomber of it 2-3 times a year...

Two places come to mind for me.

New Glarus. now hang on, beautiful place and I love their beer. Whenever i go to Illinois playground I always pick up a 6 pack of Spotted cow or moon man. That said, their beers all taste the same. Just with more or less hops. They have a very distinctive flavor in every single one of their beers without much variation. So great brewery, but horrible craft brewery...

Second i am not saying the name, but it's local to me, they started off with mediocre beer, (found out they were using extract), and now are doing full batches, and have a brew master, and the beers are still mediocre. and no, i don't want to spend 2 dollars extra and keep the glass. Now they are looking to expand and start distribution. Hmmmm, who are they going to have to go against? Revolution, Half Acre, Tighthead, Only Child, 3 floyds, Zumbier, Goose, Bells, or for another example, go to http://www.beer-bazaar.com and look at their offerings. Who is funding it????

Yuengling.
Okay, so they may no longer be considered a small brewery since they opened up additional facilities and expanded distribution.

Their porter is actually decent, if light for the style (not a bad thing), but their flagship Yuengling Lager is swill (again, my opinion).
I would rather drink BMC than Yuengling lager. It's too heavy, too sweet, and really doesn't have a good taste. It fits no particular flavor niche unless you like your beer cloying and palate-saturating (see above comment on Fat Tire).

Shipwrecked Brewpub in Egg Harbor, WI. They have survived purely on being a novelty in a tourist heavy town. I first had their beer in the bottle, and thought, boy, that's a wicked off flavor. Bought a different beer of theirs, same off flavor. About a year later I had the opportunity to try it at the brewery, had a flight of all their beer. Every single one had the same sharp nasty aftertaste off-flavor.

What upsets me the most is that tourists and vacationers will try this thinking that all craft beer tastes this way.

Shipwrecked Brewpub in Egg Harbor, WI. They have survived purely on being a novelty in a tourist heavy town. I first had their beer in the bottle, and thought, boy, that's a wicked off flavor. Bought a different beer of theirs, same off flavor. About a year later I had the opportunity to try it at the brewery, had a flight of all their beer. Every single one had the same sharp nasty aftertaste off-flavor.

What upsets me the most is that tourists and vacationers will try this thinking that all craft beer tastes this way.

Probably an extract brewery with questionable sourcing or storage practices on the extract.

Probably an extract brewery with questionable sourcing or storage practices on the extract.

I didn't realize there were actual extract breweries. I always figured that was just a home brew thing. I know you can make good extract beer but that's like building a restaurant around the frozen food aisle in the supermarket. That's about the only craft beer business I just can't support. Need to remember to do tours before drinking.....

Trav77
the beers of Europe are incredible, the variety is great, and I had a great Alt last year when I took the train through Dusseldorf. People up here (PNW) to clammer for huge hop IPA's, which is fine. I like the brew pubs with a little more variety, Fallingsky is a great local place, also Portland has 80+ craft brewerys, heading there next month for a conference.

Is an extract brewery a thing? That's crazy. I know when I walk into a small place I look at their shiny gear and point out to myself their mash tun, brite beer tanks, etc. that's whole new idea to me. Sounds expensive.

Yuengling.
Okay, so they may no longer be considered a small brewery since they opened up additional facilities and expanded distribution.

Their porter is actually decent, if light for the style (not a bad thing), but their flagship Yuengling Lager is swill (again, my opinion).
I would rather drink BMC than Yuengling lager. It's too heavy, too sweet, and really doesn't have a good taste. It fits no particular flavor niche unless you like your beer cloying and palate-saturating (see above comment on Fat Tire).

Heh, I totally agree. Back in 2008 before Yuengling was widely distributed, I was working in PA when a friend raved about trying an "awesome local beer". I had a couple of sips of their flagship lager, looked at my friend and asked "So when are we trying the awesome beer, because this isn't it."

Ironically it was the same when New Belgium started being distributed here. My brother in law couldn't stop talking about their beer. My thoughts on most of the NB varieties I've tried - "meh."

Heh, I totally agree. Back in 2008 before Yuengling was widely distributed, I was working in PA when a friend raved about trying an "awesome local beer". I had a couple of sips of their flagship lager, looked at my friend and asked "So when are we trying the awesome beer, because this isn't it."

I am not a Yuengling fan, but if you look at it in the context of Coors Light or Bud Light or Miller Lite or PBR... it has significantly more body and flavor. I don't find it sweet at all. For a 'merican lager drinker, it may seem like an awesome local beer.

... Conversely, snobbery leads beer guys to cut smaller breweries a lot of slack. Unfortunately, that is also a double edged sword. If one says, "that beer sucks", when many people like it, it shows how refined ones palate is.

Refined palate? You've defined the snobbery well right their, friend.:D. Really, most of the opinion of what is terrible beer goes to what a person likes or dislikes. I for one, am not a big fan of IPAs, but of course they are rather popular these days. I like many Belgian style beers so if I'm out and Fat tire is on tap and there's nothing better (in my thoughts of what is good) fat tire it is.

Now one who judges beer, is educated about what qualities a style of beer should have and should be able to this is a good_____, but they still have their personal likes and dislikes.

I have a friend that visited a newly open brewery back in the 90s and according to her all the beers tasted like perfume or flowers. That wasn't my experience. The place is still in business and one of the brothers involved has a real microbrewery. As we mash this subject Bud light is still the biggest seller in the US... Cheers!

I didn't realize there were actual extract breweries. I always figured that was just a home brew thing. I know you can make good extract beer but that's like building a restaurant around the frozen food aisle in the supermarket. That's about the only craft beer business I just can't support. Need to remember to do tours before drinking.....

Yes, there are basically "Brewpub kits" that serve as a startup for people who want to own/operate a brewpub but want it simple and easy. Often times it's either someone trying to break into the business on the cheap, or someone who is an entrepreneur who isn't interested in brewing, but sees a market opportunity to cash in on the brewery business.

Usually it involves the owner selecting from a menu of styles and maybe a few on rotation and then contracting for delivery of the materials on a regular basis from the seller. Usually the sellers offer the whole package with tanks, piping, and even help with setup, and then they sell these places what amounts to giant extract beer kits.

Some of them can actually produce some decent, drinkable beer, but usually will only have the usual menu (Blonde, Pale, Red, IPA, Porter or stout, and one or two rotating "interesting" beers).

But most just produce mediocre beer because they don't have much control over ingredients or process, as they're buying kits and a semi-automated process.

Yes, there are basically "Brewpub kits" that serve as a startup for people who want to own/operate a brewpub but want it simple and easy. Often times it's either someone trying to break into the business on the cheap, or someone who is an entrepreneur who isn't interested in brewing, but sees a market opportunity to cash in on the brewery business.

Usually it involves the owner selecting from a menu of styles and maybe a few on rotation and then contracting for delivery of the materials on a regular basis from the seller. Usually the sellers offer the whole package with tanks, piping, and even help with setup, and then they sell these places what amounts to giant extract beer kits.

Some of them can actually produce some decent, drinkable beer, but usually will only have the usual menu (Blonde, Pale, Red, IPA, Porter or stout, and one or two rotating "interesting" beers).

But most just produce mediocre beer because they don't have much control over ingredients or process, as they're buying kits and a semi-automated process.

Oh my god!!! You just described the brew pub in my hometown. Maybe this explains why their beer was so eh. And they had the exact beers on tap that you just stated. "Blonde, pale, red, IPA (occasionally) and porter. "

This answers so much. That's why there are so many random restaurants with "their own beer" which usually isn't worth the money not because its terrible but because its just not interesting. Thanks for dropping knowledge.

This answers so much. That's why there are so many random restaurants with "their own beer" which usually isn't worth the money not because its terrible but because its just not interesting. Thanks for dropping knowledge.

Usually the restaurants with "their own beer" are just having a local brewery contract brew it for them. At least around here that's the norm... probably not brewing it on site unless they're specifically advertising themselves as a brewpub.

Usually the restaurants with "their own beer" are just having a local brewery contract brew it for them. At least around here that's the norm... probably not brewing it on site unless they're specifically advertising themselves as a brewpub.

True. If it's just, say, one signature beer, it's probably brewed on contract elsewhere.

New Belgium has somehow gotten worse of late for me..there is some sort of "cookie dough" beer they make that is a "WTF!" beer..Its just terrible.

Cookie Dough needs to stay in ice cream, not beer.

To me, craft breweries seem like they starting to hit "Starbucks" level around where I live and alot of them are just not putting out product that is worth the money to purchase.

If you dont care enough about the beer to truly love what you are putting on tap for folks to pay their hard earned $$$ for, you will not make it in this craft beer cycle when the bubble DOES burst and it will eventually burst..may be later than sooner, but everything is cyclic with this stuff. (good times, bad times).

Luckily, the crappy breweries at this point still have plenty of patrons that have never really had excellent craft beer so its a "what they dont know won't hurt em and they will just keep coming back for more" mentality.

Its the ones that take the proper care, time and full cycle quality control of the beer as well as understanding ALL parts of the brewing process/recipe formulation that will make it beyond the glut of new startup breweries.

Making beer for a living (and being profitable) has to be a passion unlike anything else in your life, not just a job to pass the time, have a cool hangout for you and your buddies that is a revenue generator, or think starting a brewery is a way to potentially get rich quick (anyone starting a brewery to get rich should immediately be slapped in the head).

I still have plans at some point to jump in the brewery pool, but I want to be sure the time is right, the funding is right (too many breweries are starting up 100% underfunded which leads to bad beer due to cost overruns and no dump funds for bad batches initially), and that MY beer is the best I can possibly make for those that are wanting to pay and consume it.
I just wish more craft breweries took that stance and craft beer would be even better than it is today as a whole.

I get that and I've had some good beers brewed for restaurants specifically by a particular brewer. But they usually boast about it and who brews it because its a good thing. I'm taking about random places with the generic Red, IPA, Pale, Stout thing going on.

Picture it...Vacuum turned extract sales dude walks in and tells the owner who doesn't really care anything about beer that they have "good" recipes and that a brewer they work with can brew it just for them. And that the price per keg will be cheaper than what they can get from a vendor for craft beer. So they carry Bud light, Coors light, and their "own" craft beer. They may never even know that the brewery is just a warehouse with a boil kettle, fermentors, and kegging equipment. Sounds like something AB InBev Anyways, I can just see this sort of thing being responsible for some really generic beer.

Avondale in Birmingham, AL has been the worst craft brewery I have visited, as opposed the Good People in the same town that is top notch. New Belgium I think has always had an "off" flavor. I spend several years living in Europe and grew to really like German and English beers. I am now back in the PNW and find brewery's out here lack selection, tons of very good IPA's but I want a nice English Bitter or a German Helles. The Helles from Ninkasi is horrible.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to stick up for the brewers at Avondale. IMO Spring Street Saison, Ms Fancy's Tripel, and Battlefield IPA are each excellent beers. In fact I think they brew very good renditions of many Belgian styles. I have been to the tap room a few times and my niece had her wedding and reception there last summer and I have never had anything close to what I'd label as a bad or even a poor beer. I am really curious about what you tried and how you found it wanting. I was told at my last visit by their staff that Spring Street is the best selling Belgian style beer sold in Alabama for whatever that's worth.

I do not know how Firestone got so popular on Double Barrel Ale and 805. One is musty and the other a wannabe micro beer. These also happen to be on tap before any of their palatable beers. I would like to support local, but not this one.

Aqueduct Brewing in Akron, OH wins my (best of the) worst award out of the 110-120 breweries I have stepped foot into.

All the beers were atrocious. Fusels/boozy, terrible balance and just flawed on so many levels. Not sure anything comes close to the level of suck that place is.

I am a Vermonter, and I flat out hate Magic Hat. Their beer is just not my bag. I don't know many natives who drink it anymore. Diacetyl and apricot don't make for a tasty mix, as far as I'm concerned (the No 9). Most of what they put out is mediocre or flat out crappy, AFAIC.

I hate the faux hippie aesthetic they use to market too. I tried one beer of theirs that I liked, so I went to look at the website to learn more about it. They told me it was an elixir for the senses, wind through my hair with the convertible top down, hug from a long lost friend kind of bull hockey. It was a struggle to figure out the style and their intent. I didn't buy anymore and regretted revisiting their label.

I do love yuengling. Is it piss water? Sure. Is it refreshing? Absolutely. Not my go to, but I'll always pick up a case when I'm in New York.

Taste is of course subjective, and I mean to offend no one. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I am a Vermonter, and I flat out hate Magic Hat. Their beer is just not my bag. I don't know many natives who drink it anymore. Diacetyl and apricot don't make for a tasty mix, as far as I'm concerned (the No 9). Most of what they put out is mediocre or flat out crappy, AFAIC.

I hate the faux hippie aesthetic they use to market too. I tried one beer of theirs that I liked, so I went to look at the website to learn more about it. They told me it was an elixir for the senses, wind through my hair with the convertible top down, hug from a long lost friend kind of bull hockey. It was a struggle to figure out the style and their intent. I didn't buy anymore and regretted revisiting their label.

I do love yuengling. Is it piss water? Sure. Is it refreshing? Absolutely. Not my go to, but I'll always pick up a case when I'm in New York.

Taste is of course subjective, and I mean to offend no one. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Magic Hat is horrendous. I agree 100%. A couple years ago I got a 12 pack of their sampler of their most popular beers. They all tasted like spruce. In home brewing with spruce a little dab will do ya. Apparently Magic Hat never heard that saying. All of their beer tastes the same spruce all around. That's all I tasted. Yuck!!!

There are way too many people around here in Halifax, NS that brew for a few years and jump into commercial brewing.

There's two breweries here that are packed all the time. One of the workers at one of them came over for a brew one night and basically detailed how my process was far more advanced.

She said they haven't even looked into water reports or mash PH yet. Their stouts taste like astringent water and they've actually put out on the market a beer that unintentionally had gotten infected.

It frustrates me that someone gave these guys 2 million to start up a brewery.
And two more open every week in seems. The market must be getting near the saturation point by now.

Nope, not anywhere near a "saturation point". When production outpaces demand, you will see a reduction in prices as competition for customers becomes more intense. My observation is that craft beer prices are still rising, so that shows increased demand. Now and then I see different brands such as Sierra Nevada or Goose Island being discounted, but its not a widespread thing.
Having said all that, I think there's a lot of crappy product being marketed, but the drinking public has pretty much shown that crappy products are what they like.

Agreed. I prefer to head down the road and have some really nice wine at Stone's Throw :)

As for Fat Tire, I like it just fine. People are throwing around the "gateway" label like it's an awful thing. Beaujoulais is a gateway wine that I still enjoy drinking from time to time. Fat Tire is very drinkable and at a hockey game I'd much rather have that than Miller/Bud water.

I've soured a bit on Lagunitis lately. At first I loved it, but the last six-pack I drank ('lil sumpin sumpin) was just too bitter for me. I ordered their IPA at a restaurant a few weeks ago and wasn't thrilled with that one either.

Luckily for all of us, there are plenty of options, especially brewing our own.

I'll agree about Shipwrecked. Door County Brewing Co., on the other hand, does some excellent work and I'm really pleased that their beers are on the shelves down here in Milwaukee.

I think Rogue is pretty bad. They don't put 'best buy' dates on the bottles, and since they charge more than everyone else, the bottles sit on the shelf for a long time. Dead Guy can be a good beer, but the quality is really inconsistent. Their IPA's taste watery, like hop flavored water, Yellow Snow is disgusting. If you ever take a tour of the brewery, it's filthy. The floors have puddles all over, there's mold everywhere, and there's birds flying around the brewhouse ****ting on the fermenters.

I have yet to like an Abita beer or a Heavy Seas beer. Admittedly, I have not tried all of their offerings. Grayton beer calls their blonde ale their flagship beer. It's a drain pour.

Interesting. Which ones have you tried? Their Loose Cannon is hands down one of my top beers and that's coming from a guy who isn't crazy about IPA's. Their Imperial Stout and below deck were enjoyable as well. To each their own.

Interesting. Which ones have you tried? Their Loose Cannon is hands down one of my top beers and that's coming from a guy who isn't crazy about IPA's. Their Imperial Stout and below deck were enjoyable as well. To each their own.

I'll see if I can taste those.

It seems like some of us may taste something and find an off flavor where the brewer intended a certain flavor to be present. I'll go back to NB and fat tire. Many people love it because of the flavor profile while others find it offensive and full of flaws. I can't help but go back to there being no such thing as a bad beer, just a different beer. Unless of course there's no consistency due to poor controls, then it's either lucky or bad. But if the brewer gets the product he's shooting for and someone likes it then how can we say it's not good?

The peg leg is one of my favs non ridiculous expensive imperial stout.

Latest posts

Back