Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kombat said:
Well, actually ...

The root of the expression means that you cannot simultanously both have your cake and have eaten it. If you've eaten it, then you no longer have it. It's been eaten. The expression points out the folly in both wanting to enjoy eating a slice of cake, while still being able to hold it up and say, "look, I have this cake."

Well hmmm. Makes sense, thanks for explaining it that way :)

Anything with the suffix "-palooza" or "-gate" (except the original Lollapalooza and Watergate).

How about all these terms we tend to use (especially here on the east coast/DC metro area) for the wintertime snows to make them sound apocalyptic.

Snowmageddon, Snowgasm, etc.

oh wait, that was one of my friends. I think the other one was Snowpocalypse. I can't wait to see what they call this year. It is always funny to see how bent out of shape people get when we have over 2 inches of snow that does not melt off within 2 days. And it is not like the jerks here can drive as it is, any form of water falling through the air will make them flip out and really forget how to drive. Rain is bad enough, if you get fog or sleet or snow all bets are off. And god forbid if you need eggs, milk, TP, or bottled water.

I don't know why this chaps my ass so much but here it goes. There's another thread on this forum called "What I am drinking now" or something to that effect. People actually update the thread with things like water, or coffee. Seriously? You are that bored and need that much attention to waste your time updating a thread with that useless information? Good for you, but that is not the intended reason for the thread.

Maybe I'll start a thread called "events outside of brewing" and update it with stuff like "oops just farted at work" or "oops just broke a pen on my shirt" Useless. Plain useless.

I don't know why this chaps my ass so much but here it goes. There's another thread on this forum called "What I am drinking now" or something to that effect. People actually update the thread with things like water, or coffee. Seriously? You are that bored and need that much attention to waste your time updating a thread with that useless information? Good for you, but that is not the intended reason for the thread.

Maybe I'll start a thread called "events outside of brewing" and update it with stuff like "oops just farted at work" or "oops just broke a pen on my shirt" Useless. Plain useless.

They have a thread for your condition...

I thought that is called Twitter.

BreezyBrew said:

Since you're such a stickler for the intended purposes of threads, I thought I'd go ahead and point out that your rant/complaint in this thread, the "Words and Phrases I Hate" thread, is actually not about a certain word or phrase you hate.

since you're such a stickler for the intended purposes of threads, i thought i'd go ahead and point out that your rant/complaint in this thread, the "words and phrases i hate" thread, is actually not about a certain word or phrase you hate.

+1

Good news here:

You can block words and phrases by using Google Chrome and installing an extension called TinyFilter. It's set up for basic profanity, but you can custom block any word or phrase you want. It replaces the word or phrase with three asterisks.

It works perfectly in this forum! I haven't tested it elsewhere. It even filters words in thread titles.

I would really look forward to enjoying some of your coq, people seem to be raving about it. Maybe we can work out a trade sometime. Can't remember where that other thread was now. Guess that's why I have to post about it here. :ban:

Hellyeah we will definitely trade sometime fo shizzle I got a sheeet ton of trades going right now or I would do it now. What the foook happen everyone left us :drunk: :rockin:

Hellyeah we will definitely trade sometime fo shizzle I got a sheeet ton of trades going right now or I would do it now. What the foook happen everyone left us :drunk: :rockin:

Haha maybe they like to watch? :tank:

Back on topic! Words or phrases I hate... "irregardless." I was just reminded of how much I really hate it when someone says that today. The people that say this the most don't speak English as a second or third language. They speak it as an only language. Get it right.

"At the end of the day." I have a coworker that goes on these tangents and always ends them with "at the end of the day *insert moral of the story 45 minutes later*"

I just want to know what happens at the beginning of the day.

Just a friendly reminder that there are specific rules that we prefer our members to try and follow. They are usually found at the top of each subforum in a sticky. I advise everyone involved here to re-read and understand the parts that refer to trolling and antagonizing. And most specifically name calling.

Thanks for giving the few moments it will take to do this.

Since you're such a stickler for the intended purposes of threads, I thought I'd go ahead and point out that your rant/complaint in this thread, the "Words and Phrases I Hate" thread, is actually not about a certain word or phrase you hate.

This thread is just about hating stuff people say through spoken or typed word.

I'm gonna say this, I hate when people use the the phrase "enough already" etc

Enough already!

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Really? Youve actually met someone that did that?? That would be close to warranting a punch square in the face!

Oh yes, people do say lol out loud. Also omg and rotfl. These people should have their ability to speak taken away.

It's probably already been said on here, but I hate it when people say "cray cray" instead of crazy. My 55 year old aunt who still thinks and acts like she is a teenager constantly says it. I should just break the news to her that she isn't a hip teenager, rather she is an overly plump middle aged woman who only has cats for friends. Sad.

morticus said:
It's probably already been said on here, but I hate it when people say "cray cray" instead of crazy. My 55 year old aunt who still thinks and acts like she is a teenager constantly says it. I should just break the news to her that she isn't a hip teenager, rather she is an overly plump middle aged woman who only has cats for friends. Sad.

Yes it has been mentioned but it is definitely worthy of repeating. I hate when I hear that! What's bad is it's known among our friends that I hate it so much that a few of them will say it just to mess with me.

morticus said:

It isn't just your aunt; it doesn't sound good when teenagers say it either.

Latest posts

Back