Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well actually... Sometimes Lunch is called Dinner, and Dinner is called Supper. This is because supposedly Dinner is considered to be the "main" or largest meal of the day. Whether it takes place at noon or in the evening is mostly a cultural thing. For instance, many people who grew up in the American South and/or on farms traditionally ate larger meals at noontime to give them the strength to keep working through the afternoon.

Supper is more specifically a lighter evening meal. Rooted in the word "to sup", it comes, again, from farming traditions — many farming families would have a pot of soup cooking throughout the day, and would eat it in the evening — specifically, they would "sup" the soup.

Lunch is almost the midday equivalent of supper — it's also a lighter and less formal meal than Dinner, but is used specifically when referring to a midday meal. So whether you use lunch/dinner or dinner/supper is heavily determined by when your culture traditionally has its largest meal.

I will admit I copy/pasted most of that from the internets (I hate when people pluralize that word)

Whether it takes place at noon or in the evening is mostly a cultural thing. For instance, many people who grew up in the American South and/or on farms traditionally ate larger meals at noontime to give them the strength to keep working through the afternoon.

And people over the age of 75 eat the early bird special at 3 so they have the strength to make it through Matlock before they fall asleep.

Agreed.
Hey since everyone loves to shorten things these days, why haven't they shortened Facebook. Two syllables is so 10 years ago. I nominate Fook as the official shortened term for Facebook. ;)

So... People who use Facebook can now really be Fookers. ;)

That reminds me that I saw in someones email signature line the other day a FB logo followed by the Youtube logo. It looked like they were colorfully saying F-Youtube. Made me laugh.

When someone disagrees with someone by saying, "I don't know about that." If you disagree with the person, just say so. Say it's B.S., whatever. Maybe offer some proof to support your argument. When you debate by saying something passive-aggressive like "Umm, I don't know about that," I'm tempted to reply, "You're right, you don't know about that!"

When someone disagrees with someone by saying, "I don't know about that." If you disagree with the person, just say so. Say it's B.S., whatever. Maybe offer some proof to support your argument. When you debate by saying something passive-aggressive like "Umm, I don't know about that," I'm tempted to reply, "You're right, you don't know about that!"

That and the fact that "I don't know about that" goes without saying.....THAT IS WHY I JUST EFFING TOLD YOU ABOUT IT. Shut up and agree.

;)

"Might could "

I noticed this first on hillbilly blood.

Hey I was wondering if I might could borrow your applejack fermenter?

Well actually... Sometimes Lunch is called Dinner, and Dinner is called Supper. This is because supposedly Dinner is considered to be the "main" or largest meal of the day. Whether it takes place at noon or in the evening is mostly a cultural thing. For instance, many people who grew up in the American South and/or on farms traditionally ate larger meals at noontime to give them the strength to keep working through the afternoon.

Supper is more specifically a lighter evening meal. Rooted in the word "to sup", it comes, again, from farming traditions — many farming families would have a pot of soup cooking throughout the day, and would eat it in the evening — specifically, they would "sup" the soup.

Lunch is almost the midday equivalent of supper — it's also a lighter and less formal meal than Dinner, but is used specifically when referring to a midday meal. So whether you use lunch/dinner or dinner/supper is heavily determined by when your culture traditionally has its largest meal.

I will admit I copy/pasted most of that from the internets (I hate when people pluralize that word)

My folks still use these terms and I fully intend to pass them on to my children

I hate the fake wannabe-california accent that lots of girls speak in these days, especially when they are describing what someone was saying with "blah blah blah" really fast. No, not blahblahblah, what did he f--n say?!?! I balme this on TV and movies

"Couple-three."

The first time I heard it was from a car salesman. "If maybe you could put down a couple-three thousand..."

Instantly irked. He didn't get that sale.

Not sure how wide spread this is... But saying "Bah" in lieu of "Bye" really makes my ears burn. It's a one-syllable word, is it really that hard? "Goodbye" is already apparently too much. C'mon.

Has anyone mentioned the phrase "that being said" yet?

Wow, that phrase really makes me cringe. :mad:

I can't read a forum for longer than ten minutes before someone says it.

How about, "You're so opinionated."

My response: "That's your f*cking opinion!"

At the end of the day

This used to mean to me at the end of working hard all day you know you made a difference for the better. Now it just seems to be a tag phrase for any politician trying to come across as down to earth. Drives me nuts

Not a word or a phrase per se, but "uptalkers," or "question talkers."

Typically young folks, particularly females. The pitch of their voice rises at the end of every sentence, so that they sound like everything they say is a question. Even though they're not actually asking a question, they're simply saying things. Makes them sound like children.

Typically young folks, particularly females. The pitch of their voice rises at the end of every sentence, so that they sound like everything they say is a question. Even though they're not actually asking a question, they're simply saying things. Makes them sound like children.

_________y?
_____all
Re

A period after single words for emphasis.

"My mother-in-law visits me every. single. day."

Stop it. It is stupid.

I think 'no problem' is a poor substitute for 'you're welcome.' No problem lacks grace - I didn't think that having the waitress serve me dinner was a problem, but I still thanked her. You're welcome acknowledges that I thanked her - thanks for the thanks. No problem also implies that I didn't need to thank her - that the whole politeness exchange was unnecessary.

No problem is fine if its a really serious matter. Say a friend calls and asks me to take him to the emergency room and is apologizing for having to ask, its appropriate to assure him that it was no problem, that your friendship is too important to worry about that.

But imho no problem is generally a poor (and annoying) substitute for you're welcome.

I agree with you Pappers, especially when it comes to wait staff. They are doing a job they volunteered for! I see it as being mildly disrespectful, if I had the manners to thank them for serving me my beer, food, whatever then the social compact is to respond accordingly, i.e. "you're welcome". I always tip well but will tip a cheerful server even better.

I am Ron Bur-gan-dy?

that

and

Last edited by a moderator:
The inappropriate use of ellipses in text conversation.

From the mother in law to my wife- "I love the picture of the kids...... Don't forget to call Michael....... I get off work tomorrow at 4........I'll probably stop by....... Love you......"

Drives me bonkers.

Oh man, I'm with you there. I was on another forum years back where this one guy who posted all the time would use no punctuation save ellipses. He wrote massive posts with an ellipsis every line, at least, and it was just maddening to read. He never did stop, despite the whole forum crabbing at him for it.

CreamyGoodness said:
I'm very guilty of elipsis overuse. I'm trying to rehab myself.

Me too..........I need to stop...........somebody stop me..........help!........
;)

I'm very guilty of elipsis overuse. I'm trying to rehab myself.

I think that in the internet world the elipsis has morphed for its true use of showing that something has been left off of a sentence to more of a "raised eyebrow" or unfinished thought type of meaning at the end of a sentence.

I am ok with it being used in that context...

Yeah, I tend to use it when I need to jump to a non-sequential thought.

Don't make JAOM with a yeast other than bread-yeast... I wonder how red bell peppers would taste in place of orange.

Yeah, I tend to use it when I need to jump to a non-sequential thought.

Don't make JAOM with a yeast other than bread-yeast... I wonder how red bell peppers would taste in place of orange.

I do the same thing. I guess the appropriate punctuation would be a semi-colon (on second thought, it should probably be a period and new sentence)but I think the ellipsis helps the flow in an informal internet discussion setting.

I draw the line at using ellipsis instead of a comma or period throughout an entire post, though. I find that irritating as hell

I think that in the internet world the elipsis has morphed for its true use of showing that something has been left off of a sentence to more of a "raised eyebrow" or unfinished thought type of meaning at the end of a sentence.

I am ok with it being used in that context...

I know I use them that way to approximate the frequent pauses and awkward silences when I talk. I can't justify using them to end every sentence though.

Back