Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I'm with you there. I was on another forum years back where this one guy who posted all the time would use no punctuation save ellipses. He wrote massive posts with an ellipsis every line, at least, and it was just maddening to read. He never did stop, despite the whole forum crabbing at him for it.
There's A Guy On Another Forum I Frequent That Thinks Every Word Should Be Capitalized. Drives Me Nucking Futs.

There's A Guy On Another Forum I Frequent That Thinks Every Word Should Be Capitalized. Drives Me Nucking Futs.

yep and his buddy that never uses punctuation or upper case letters and then when somebody points out that his posts are pretty much unreadable bitches that that this aint english class.

That guy should probably go in the coffee table book of people that I should be able to kill.

That's the best damned idea I've heard of in a long time. I think this weekend is going to focus on crafting just such a book for myself.

There's already a collective work-in-progress, check it out:
www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/people-i-should-able-kill-coffee-table-book-413446/

OK Back On Topic Now I Dont Want To Derail The Thread... Or Anything Like That.........

"Literally." I hate that word now that the dictionaries are saying that it can rightfully be used to mean "virtually." That is NOT what it means. It means the exact opposite. I literally felt like I would going to explode when I saw they made that change. My ears were literally burning. Literally.

That makes me unhappy.

"Vile" instead of "vial." Never thought it could be so irritating until I joined this forum...

People on Craigslist that get the word sell and sale mixed up. As in for sale, must sale etc. I see it every time I check Craigslist for anything.

JoeyChopps said:
People on Craigslist that get the word sell and sale mixed up. As in for sale, must sale etc. I see it every time I check Craigslist for anything.

I saw a van one time that had it spelled differently on all the windows. 4 sale, fore sail, for sell, 4 saile. Those were some of the ones I remember.

i saw a van one time that had it spelled differently on all the windows. 4 sale, fore sail, for sell, 4 saile. Those were some of the ones i remember.

hipster-rape-van-13931.jpeg

Sorry if this one has been covered but it drives me NUTS when someone writes "could of" or "should of" instead of "could have" or "should have" or the contracted versions. Pains me to even type it.

GAAAAAHH!

What does that even mean?

Exactly.

Lets say I go to your place looking to buy your car. I say "how about 4k?" you think about it "Nah its worth 7, how about 6?" I say "5 is as good as I can do" and you say... "sold American" and we shake hands. You could have just as easily have said "sold" or "ok" but no, you felt the need to imply that this was a good American transaction.

Makes me want to fart in their mashed potatoes.

Exactly.

Lets say I go to your place looking to buy your car. I say "how about 4k?" you think about it "Nah its worth 7, how about 6?" I say "5 is as good as I can do" and you say... "sold American" and we shake hands. You could have just as easily have said "sold" or "ok" but no, you felt the need to imply that this was a good American transaction.

Makes me want to fart in their mashed potatoes.

What is this, a Turkish bazaar? Haggling is totally un-American!

I actually despise the phrase, "you can't have cake and eat it too"! Then why the F, would I want it?!?!

Well, actually ...

The root of the expression means that you cannot simultanously both have your cake and have eaten it. If you've eaten it, then you no longer have it. It's been eaten. The expression points out the folly in both wanting to enjoy eating a slice of cake, while still being able to hold it up and say, "look, I have this cake."

Let me blow your mind...

The other day was my father-in-law's birthday. I took a big piece of leftover cake home. Had some last night with ice cream. I have more for tonight. And I'll have more tomorrow.

the use of "belgiums" instead of "belgians", when talking about beer.

"T-58 isn't a very good yeast for Belgiums."
"I brewed my first Belgium last week."
"Try this Belgium pale ale".

grrr.

"I brewed my first Belgium last week."

Whatever. Belgium's a small country. I fermented Italy last week. Whatcha think about that? :ban:

But, I hear you. I usually get snarky and congratulate people, then tell them about the "England ESB" I just made. Usually, the "Belgiums" kids don't get it. Oh well.

I had a very well educated and otherwise well spoken man ask me where to find the "head liberry" not too long ago. Couldn't figure out just what the hell he wanted. He was looking for the "head librarian." Didn't expect that kinda crap from him. Kinda made me want to punch him.

"Here's the deal."

or

"What you have to understand is ..."

Both are ways of talking down to someone and I hate it.

"To be honest with you."

To me this implies that one was not being honest with me before this. Hate it.

Latest posts

Back