Wondering about tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venari

Reaction score
I'm playing around with the idea of customized wood or bone/ivory tap handles for my Perlick 630SS, and have a few questions.

Is there a weight/balance limit? How heavy is too heavy? Should I get them made hollowed out so they'd be lighter?

What parts would I need to attach the customized handle to the faucet? Are they sturdy enough to hold heavy handles?

I made some tap handles out of wine bottles that were pretty heavy. Seemed to work better with the 630ss than my who-knows-how-old standard taps off ebay I refurbished. If I remember right those tap handles are about a full pound.

I wouldn't leave them unattended for very long, though, just in case.

Yeah, I've decided on walrus tusk, as there are likely to be several of those kicking around. Get a local artist to sculpt them into something northern themed (polar bear on hind legs, seal, narwal, Sedna), and then stick 'em onto the taps :)

Debating now, between having these carved, or simply polished and attached to the taps.

20150814_115124 (1).jpg

Hopefully you get answers to your questions above, I'd say on weight you are probably fine to leave them solid (unless they weigh like a pound each anyway). I'd just give em a good cleaning and get them sealed/polished vs. the carving. Pretty sure to attach them to the taps you just need a simple little bit of kit whose name escapes me at the moment unfortunately.

As for weight, my scale tells me they're about 340 grams each. (About 3/4 lbs)

Back