Women Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day women brewed beer to supplement their income, especially if they were widows. They were called ale wifes and had a sign on top of the door of their house which would let people know that they had beer for sale.

Back in the day women brewed beer to supplement their income, especially if they were widows. They were called ale wifes and had a sign on top of the door of their house which would let people know that they had beer for sale.

OMG- I think I've just figured out a way to supplement my retirement income!!!!! :D

I thought an ale wife was a fish?

SA_Millet_Brew.jpg

Took the glass off as the glare was bad.

That's awesome dude... awesome!

Yeah I was really pleased with it when the guy showed up at the pub with it that day.

The owner of Deschutes happened to be in the bar when he showed up and the guy let him see it. The owner wanted to buy it off of him but he said, "No, it's for your Chef."

Very cool!!! I love it! If it is hung in a beer related environment though, it needs a narrative. Otherwise it would be open to all kinds of both sexist and racist interpretations from some morons. (Ok, I'm thinking witchcraft) as it does not actually look like they are brewing as we would recognise it.. In the right setting, that is gold dust.

Just Kidding.

I wish more women were brewers as well. Ok, it's only because there seems to be a fairly large disproportion of men, and who wants to chat up men at social event with drinking involved!

Ok, just kidding again. I'm with Yoop on the part about a women-only competition. If I were entering a comp, I'd want it to include the best brewers, and gender should not be a consideration.

I'm also against Ladies Night. On second thought, Ladies night is ok. Well, I'm married and rarely go to the bar, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I'd prefer it if there were more women brewers on this forum. There is no rhyme or reason why there should not be if women took up brewing more than they tend to, and quite often women give a more objective overview to any topic of conversation.

I used to "belong" to an art forum that was 95% women. That may sound great for a guy, but that forum also lacked balance. (In the form of too many fluffy cat painters) ;)

Most of us try to balance our beer, and a more gender-balanced forum would be a plus IMO

I'm waiting for you females to post your macho-crudhead experiences at the LHBS. Mine has this guy that ALWAYS clarifies or corrects what I say, and I'm like: whatever man...

It will be priceless to hear the first time they say "your husband/boyfriend will like this substitution", or whatever and you set him straight!

There are probably more women here than you think. It seems to me that many do not self-identify.

Agreed. I personally never knew that the Gnome was a woman until about 5 minutes ago. :D

Earlier, someone made the comment about brewing being cooking, and women being the cookers..... more sterotypes! I do most of the cooking at my house (make breakfast for everyone, pack the kids' lunches for school, make dinner 3 or 4 times a week after I get home from work....)

There are probably more women here than you think. It seems to me that many do not self-identify.

That's likely very true. I think most (if not all) women have learned that identifying yourself as a woman on the internet inevitably leads to responses like, "OMGRUHOT?!?!?!" So I don't blame them. I don't think that would be very likely here, though.

As for the topic, I think most people are simply going with the trends rather than being sexist. The fact is that most home brewers are men, and a lot of women don't like a wide range of beers. Those things aren't true for every woman, but are true when you take the entire population.

So you can't blame someone if they think your husband is the brewer or if they think you want a fruity beer. Or if you are out buying yarn and someone thinks it is for your wife, even. Presumptuous? Yes. Sexist? I don't think so. It's just as presumptuous to say that people are assuming women aren't brewers because they think women can't brew.

In my opinion, though, I don't think many home brewers would say a woman can't brew as well as a man. That would be sexist. And we all seem smarter than that.

And, as an FYI, the owner of my LHBS is a woman. I would like to see this hobby become more diverse, though. Being a computer programmer and a home brewer, I see enough men.

That's likely very true. I think most (if not all) women have learned that identifying yourself as a woman on the internet inevitably leads to responses like, "OMGRUHOT?!?!?!" So I don't blame them. I don't think that would be very likely here, though.

As for the topic, I think most people are simply going with the trends rather than being sexist. The fact is that most home brewers are men, and a lot of women don't like a wide range of beers. Those things aren't true for every woman, but are true when you take the entire population.

So you can't blame someone if they think your husband is the brewer or if they think you want a fruity beer. Or if you are out buying yarn and someone thinks it is for your wife, even. Presumptuous? Yes. Sexist? I don't think so. It's just as presumptuous to say that people are assuming women aren't brewers because they think women can't brew.

In my opinion, though, I don't think many home brewers would say a woman can't brew as well as a man. That would be sexist. And we all seem smarter than that.

And, as an FYI, the owner of my LHBS is a woman. I would like to see this hobby become more diverse, though. Being a computer programmer and a home brewer, I see enough men.

seriously, just because I go into the sex shop and buy a gallon of anal lube every other week, people think i'm some kind of weirdo.

I hate the way that when I tell someone I am a homebrewer, they look all amazed and can't seem to take me seriously. They get a grin on their faces and look at me like I'm some kind of idiot. I can only imagine that this experience would be ten times worse if I were a real woman, and not simply "Clothing appropriate" Us men can be so insensitive sometimes. :(

THAT... is funny

all the women in my family drink beer and not fruity ones either . My wifes Grandmother always had a 16 oz bottle of Stegmeier in hand on a summer day. And she could pack them away .

Hellooooo brewers! Proud to be a new female brewer from Seattle. I only hope I can brew as well as I drink (and I am damn good at that).
Open to any and all advice....cheers!

My girlfriend is starting to brew. Her first beer was an All Grain Imperial (Hopped up) Mango Hefewezien. The mangoes really just added sugars, not really much flavor if any. She made the recipe and brewed it herself. I only did the heavy lifting. She would brew all the time if she could. She's really been wanting to again but time and money have been an issue. Her first beer was the second keg drained at my party, everyone loved it, and she loved that everyone loved it.

Instead of a womens only competition, I vote for a brew-treat. Brewing retreat.
The women can bring their S.O.'s, significant others, and we can send them away to shop or something ;)
-Wendy in S.F.
Aka a soccer player who wears #5

My girlfriend is starting to brew. Her first beer was an All Grain Imperial (Hopped up) Mango Hefewezien. The mangoes really just added sugars, not really much flavor if any. She made the recipe and brewed it herself. I only did the heavy lifting. She would brew all the time if she could. She's really been wanting to again but time and money have been an issue. Her first beer was the second keg drained at my party, everyone loved it, and she loved that everyone loved it.

Congrats Dude. That's awesome!
Enjoy!!

Anyone seen the BBC comedy "Coupling"? The character Susan explains her charm thus: "I have acute nymphomania and my own brewery."

As a female home brewer, I am usually treated well at my local home brew store but not by other customers at microbreweries I visit. They ask my husband, "Are you a home brewer?" He says, "Yes," instead of explaining that I'm the home brewer and he's the homebrew bottler....

Anyone seen the BBC comedy "Coupling"? The character Susan explains her charm thus: "I have acute nymphomania and my own brewery."

As a female home brewer, I am usually treated well at my local home brew store but not by other customers at microbreweries I visit. They ask my husband, "Are you a home brewer?" He says, "Yes," instead of explaining that I'm the home brewer and he's the homebrew bottler....

Oh, a nymphomanic with a brewery does generate interest.....................:D

On a not-even-related note, I kegged two beers today and racked one wine. The beers are wonderful! I made a cream ale for a friend's retirement party in June, and it's great! I'm going to lager it for a month or so and it'll be even more flavorless than it is now, and I have a wonderful hoppy APA that will ge terrific in a couple of weeks. I love brewing, whether others can appreciate me or not.

The wine is going to be great, as well. I have 21 gallons now bulk aging, and they are really good wines.

Worse than that is when you go into a new brewpub and the know-it-all 22 year old bartender offers me a "nice fruity wheat beer" to try. When I order an IPA, they explain what the letters "I P A" mean and tell me it's hoppy, and would I like a sample first? Now, I appreciate giving the customer good service and making them happy with their choices, but don't assume I want a flippin' wheat beer because I have breasts!

A-Freakin'-men!

Yooper-may I use that as my signature?? "don't assume I want a flippin' wheat beer because I have breasts!" Love It!

Worse than that is when you go into a new brewpub and the know-it-all 22 year old bartender offers me a "nice fruity wheat beer" to try. When I order an IPA, they explain what the letters "I P A" mean and tell me it's hoppy, and would I like a sample first? Now, I appreciate giving the customer good service and making them happy with their choices, but don't assume I want a flippin' wheat beer because I have breasts!

For some reason, I get this same reaction when I order a stout or a big Belgian, and I'm often asked if I've tried it before--I once said I'd been drinking that kind of beer since the bartender was in junior high, but he gave me a look as if he had been, too...

For some reason, I get this same reaction when I order a stout or a big Belgian, and I'm often asked if I've tried it before--I once said I'd been drinking that kind of beer since the bartender was in junior high, but he gave me a look as if he had been, too...

I would just order 2 shots of Old Granddad or Wild Turkey 1st one for you and one for the bar keep. OR if you do not feel the need to pay... order a "chimney", when the bar keep asks what that is, tell them it is 1/2 of each of the whiskeys mentioned above in a shot glass. Drink it, then ask the barkeep if they know why they call that a chimney? when they give up or get it wrong tell them, "It is because it is on the house". Most barkeeps are pretty good about that the 1st time and after the bar keep sees you do a shot of that, they won't ask anymore stupid questions I would think....... :tank:

On a side note:
I really appreciate this thread as I was oblivious to the female brewing community, ale wives, and the lot. I have a much broader perspective now so I will NEVER assume that it is the "male" that is the brewer where ever I may be. GL and Hoppy brewing! :mug:

Ugh...Ditto here! I am originally a wine girl and love all beverage but got turned onto homebrewing from my Father-in-law. Since its his daddy, the hubs thinks he knows everything there is to know (very male like tendency). If he goes to the LHBS, he chats up the people and then can't even relay the correct information he gathered there!!
I got the ball rolling and received my brew kit for my Bday, have read every book within reach, joined forums, etc.... and yet he has found a way to attempt to take the lead as the "brewmaster" and his brewery names are hedonistic and completely unrelated to my involvement.

I used to get a chuckle out of the industry stereotype surrounding women...like when I would approach the table to offer my assistance and the host would ask me to go and get the sommelier........yeah, that's me A@@HOLE. Or when I am the guest at the table and the wine list would be presented to my date even when I was the one who asked for it. OH and when I order both drinks and when they make it to the table I am automatically served the Cider or Blue Moon and not the Guinness.

<sigh> That's my vent...glad to see I'm not alone :) Now hand me my drink...

Oh, a nymphomanic with a brewery does generate interest.....................:D

The wine is going to be great, as well. I have 21 gallons now bulk aging, and they are really good wines.

Where do you source your juice from? Whatcha got barreled?

Where do you source your juice from? Whatcha got barreled?

Those are all "country" wines- wines from fruit we've picked ourselves. Mostly chokecherry, which is a dry red table wine that I oak just with oak chips in a carboy, and some crabapple.

I rarely make grape wines, as there isn't a good local source for me at all. I've made some catawba grape wine- with MLF the first time, without the second. It's, well, different. I have to buy frozen pails to get any wine grapes here. I'm thinking of a "road trip" this fall, though, and getting some grapes in a city may be in my plans!

Back