Women Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyxen

Reaction score
Man, more women should take up brewing. I can't remember the last time I've had so much fun (or been so obsessed) with a new hobby. And ever since we cracked open my first batch my husband can't stop hugging me, and it's been over a month!

There are actually a LOT of Hot women brewers. Yoop is our prime example.

Ironical huh, used to be the women brewed cause it was considered womans work. Now, it seems a scarcity.

I agree! I feel lonely because I have yet to find other women who are into brewing. This hobby is awesome and totally obsessive :mug:

The weird part is buying/selling brewing items on CL and having the person keep talking and look at my fiance instead of me! Even after I had been the one emailing them and the one responding to all their questions.

The weird part is buying/selling brewing items on CL and having the person keep talking and look at my fiance instead of me! Even after I had been the one emailing them and the one responding to all their questions.

Yes, that's the part that drives me crazy! Even at the National Homebrew Conference, other brewers did that to me! I was packing my car up, putting away my kegs and hoses, and I was giving another HBTer a ride to the airport, so he was standing next to my car. Here I am, packing up kegs, beerline, taps, etc into my trunk and these guys started talking to Richbrewer about "his" kegs. ARGGGHHHH!

At "new" homebrew stores I visit when I'm traveling, sometimes I'm treated like a real brewer, sometimes not. Usually, they say "Can I help you?" to my husband who shrugs because he has no idea what brewing entails, beyond "grain".

Yes, there are a lot of d-bag men out there.(ignore them and maybe they'll go away)

Any woman who likes good beer is awesome, any woman who likes to make beer is awesomer!:cross:

Proßt to all the women of HBT! :mug:

I hate the way that when I tell someone I am a homebrewer, they look all amazed and can't seem to take me seriously. They get a grin on their faces and look at me like I'm some kind of idiot. I can only imagine that this experience would be ten times worse if I were a real woman, and not simply "Clothing appropriate" Us men can be so insensitive sometimes. :(

I expect them to assume at first and I don't mind at all. But when I'm talking to them about kegs and all the different o-rings and my fiance has a blank stare... It should be a giveaway.

I kind of enjoy going to the LHBS and being treated like the g/f doing an errand. Mainly because I just want to get in and get out. But I think the owner finally caught on when he invited me to the local club meeting.

Stereotypes never go out of fashion. A couple weeks ago, I was reading an article about early electric cars and the author's position was that they had a reputation for being "girlie" because the other cars of the era required manly hand-cranking to start them!

Yeah I live with it all the time. When I used to bring my fiance to work functions (I'm an engineer) and had to 'mingle' people would always strike up a conversation with him and completely ignore me asking what section/floor he worked on a so on. He'd try to explain that I was the one that worked there, but half the time they would just keep talking to him anyway. Of course I hate mingling and sucking up to random people so I wouldn't save him.

I catered a party for a South African guy 10 years or so ago. He was going back to SA for awhile and in exchange for payment I just asked him to get me something cool.

2 months later he comes into the BrewPub where I was working and gives me this large piece of canvas rolled up. I unroll it and it is a hand painted display of 3 South African tribal women standing around a boiling pot atop burning logs. One of the women is Pregnant and has another child on her back. She is stirring while the other 2 women are adding ingredients to the pot.

"What are they making?" I ask the guy.

"Beer!" he says. "In this part of Africa, the women make this fermented beverage while the men hunt food." I guess it is called Millet Beer.

Hand painted original about 4'x4'. Well worth cooking for a day. I'll have to take a picture of it one of these days.

"Beer!" he says. "In this part of Africa, the women make this fermented beverage while the men hunt food." I guess it is called Millet Beer.

Hand painted original about 4'x4'. Well worth cooking for a day. I'll have to take a picture of it one of these days.

take that picture today! We all want to see it!!! :D

I think the kind of women that brew aren't the girliest (myself included), so, if it keeps out the girly-girls, then I am quite pleased with the imbalance of men to women. ;) My homebrew shop guys vaguely know me, and they know that I send my husband to pick up supplies, so they never chat him up about recipes, equipment, etc. But - I do notice that when I get into discussions about beer with people that don't know I brew, they tend to assume I don't know much and aim the convo at my husband. :mad:

people are funny about stuff.

I make (sew) a lot of my own stuff for backpacking and camping and get the same thing when i go to get fabrics or thread. I was looking for somethign particular one day, and they lady working asked me "So, what exactly is your wife gonna make with this?"

Do all you brewing ladies participate in Queen of Beer? It's a female only brewing competition held in California. Entries come from all over. I participated last year and plan to participate again this year. Because you can't have male assistance, it's a great opportunity to get together with other female brewer friends.

Wow, what a cool contest! SWMBO likes to help (mostly she likes the cleaning !?) but if she ever decides to brew on her own someday I'd love for her to enter that kind of thing.

I think the kind of women that brew aren't the girliest (myself included), so, if it keeps out the girly-girls, then I am quite pleased with the imbalance of men to women. ;) My homebrew shop guys vaguely know me, and they know that I send my husband to pick up supplies, so they never chat him up about recipes, equipment, etc. But - I do notice that when I get into discussions about beer with people that don't know I brew, they tend to assume I don't know much and aim the convo at my husband. :mad:

Worse than that is when you go into a new brewpub and the know-it-all 22 year old bartender offers me a "nice fruity wheat beer" to try. When I order an IPA, they explain what the letters "I P A" mean and tell me it's hoppy, and would I like a sample first? Now, I appreciate giving the customer good service and making them happy with their choices, but don't assume I want a flippin' wheat beer because I have breasts!

Do all you brewing ladies participate in Queen of Beer? It's a female only brewing competition held in California. Entries come from all over. I participated last year and plan to participate again this year. Because you can't have male assistance, it's a great opportunity to get together with other female brewer friends.

I don't. I've only done a few national competitions, and it was open to all brewers. I'm not sure I really love the idea of a female-only competition, any more than I support a male-only competition. A brewer is a brewer. The fact that I have female parts doesn't affect my ability to brew a good beer.

I do like the idea of a female brewer support system, though.

Worse than that is when you go into a new brewpub and the know-it-all 22 year old bartender offers me a "nice fruity wheat beer" to try. When I order an IPA, they explain what the letters "I P A" mean and tell me it's hoppy, and would I like a sample first? Now, I appreciate giving the customer good service and making them happy with their choices, but don't assume I want a flippin' wheat beer because I have breasts!

SWMBO wants the next brew to be a razz-wheat. :rolleyes:

Stereotypes *do* sometimes have a basis...

It fascinates me that this should even be a male dominated hobby. It is COOKING fer chrisakes! We all enjoy food, so we all cook, we all enjoy (Good) beer so those of us that cook will brew.

Brewing doesn't just make women look cooler and more balanced. It also makes them look sexier and somewhat more interesting to look at than a guy with man boobies and a mash paddle.

There really should be no distinction between male and female brewers. It's the beer that counts.

Just started in the hobby, loving it and obsessed.
I know how you ladies feel. I haven't been in it long enough to feel the male ignorance, but I was an MP with the US Army for 8 years, so you can imagine. All I have to say is
"bring it on"!
I'm not big and scary, just a hot tempered Italian. :)
My husband seems to be pretty proud, that's all I really care about.
And you guys....of course :mug:

The women and beer history on the Pinkboots site even cites survey work done to test which beers appeal to women. According to them: lambics are the bizomb, and IPAs are bottom rung. Women may have evolved(!) the ability to more finely detect bitterness and to avoid it in food, meaning, the AVERAGE woman's palate appreciates less bitterness than the average male (maybe, and with many exceptions, I'm sure). Cool writeup, everyone should take a few minutes and read it through. :)

SWMBO wants the next brew to be a razz-wheat. :rolleyes:

Stereotypes *do* sometimes have a basis...

I'm actually kegging my raspberry wheat as we speak. Its probably as girly as I get. Its only because I've been neglecting to brew it for 6 months or so. I swear!

Just Kidding.

I wish more women were brewers as well. Ok, it's only because there seems to be a fairly large disproportion of men, and who wants to chat up men at social event with drinking involved!

Ok, just kidding again. I'm with Yoop on the part about a women-only competition. If I were entering a comp, I'd want it to include the best brewers, and gender should not be a consideration.

I'm also against Ladies Night. On second thought, Ladies night is ok. Well, I'm married and rarely go to the bar, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Teri Fahrendorf, founder and president of the Pink Boots Society, is one of the best brewers I have ever met.

For more information on her and her career check out http://www.terifahrendorf.com/biography.htm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"In 2007, after 17 years with Steelhead Brewing Company, Teri departed on a five-month road trip across the USA and back, visiting 70 breweries and three distilleries along the way. During this epic adventure of beery discovery, Teri participated in 38 brews and two distillations.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Teri documented her adventure live from the road on her blog, www.roadbrewer.com. "[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I still call him SWMBO. S=Someone. Way easier to say. He hates it when I say it to his face though.

*chuckle* personally I'd get over the inferred slam to my masculinity and enjoy the fact she was implying I must be obeyed. Just me though.

It also makes them look sexier and somewhat more interesting to look at than a guy with man boobies and a mash paddle.

Hey, I don't recall posting a picture of myself here how did you find me! LOL

All I know is when it is time to brew, I'm gonna be brewing outdoors cause SWMBO aint having it indoors! And I love her more and more each day!

I agree about having no gender specific competitions, I want to have some competition when I brew my razzberry wheat and in an all male comp there would only be IPA's! JK

Women rock:rockin:

Back