WLP300 - when do banana/clove notes form?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsi

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a Hefeweizen that's been fermenting for about 14 days. It's my first hefe, and the first time I've used WLP300 - Hefeweizen Ale.

I took a reading today, had a taste, and could detect *no* hints of clove or banana. I was expecting a banana bomb.. :ban:

This is the recipe:
.5 lb Cara Pils
4.5lb German Pilsner Malt
5lb White Wheat
1oz Tettnang @ 60
1oz Tettnang @ 15

No starter. I fermented at about 70-71F, the high end of the range. I was hoping to bring out more of the banana notes.

I'm gonna see this one through, of course, but was wondering if this is expected behavior for this yeast?

Cheers! :mug:

I usually get lots of banana from that strain. It's the most banana producing strain that WL makes. Hmmmm. strange...

Yeah, thats what I was going for.. hmm.

I forgot to mention, it's down to 1.009 (from 1.047 -- lower than I would have liked). So dare I say my little yeasties have given it all they've got.

cockybitz said:
don't oxygenate to get more banana

Oooohhh. Hm, well I guess that could be it. I shook the hell out of the carboy.

What was your mash temp? It seems like a high attenuation for a Hefe. I don't know if I would skip the aeration as this can risk under attenuation, especially without a starter.

170F Strike water, held at 151 for 60 mins. Single batch sparge at 175. I didn't have my refractometer by then, so my readings could be a little off.

Back