Not so hefe weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timo944

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on my Hefe....

Used the Jamil Zainasheff recipe for Hefeweizen with Wyeast 3068, all grain BIAB. OG was spot on @ 1.050, cooled wort to 70F and pitched yeast (which was about 75F). Fermented at 62F for 12 days. FG is 1.012 so again spot on.

The beer seems quite plain, maybe even a bit light. Somewhat tartness , no bread, but no banana/clove/bubblegum/vanilla at all on the nose and no classic Hefeweizen taste or mouthfeel. The beer has cleared somewhat after the first ~4 pints form the keg. The only commercial I can think it's a little close to is Josephsbrau. It's almost as if the yeast did little more than convert the sugars.

Possible corrections:
- Should I use a starter? (I didn't). I popped it ~5 hours before pitching, it swelled normally and started to ferment within 24 hrs. Yeast was fresh (August 2019!)
- Would using WLP300 be a better choice? I've used it once before in a Weissbier with great results
- do I maybe have some kind of bug that impacted the yeast?
- all of the above?

Thanks

Fermenting temperature determines if phenols or esters are produced along with pitching rate. You may have pitched the right rate and fermented at the perfect temperature to avoid both.

According to Jamil, 62F is the "perfect temperature" to promote phenols, etc. But you lead me to other comments: "along with proper amount of yeast [he recommends two packs] and oxygenation." I don't do anything to oxygenate, and only used 1 pack...

People have good results with 3068, but I prefer using WLP300 for German-style beer like this.
Try bumping up the fermentation temperature a few degrees if using 3068 because it seems 60F or so is a bit low.

Ester, phenolic ... ester, phenolic. There's a difference.
If you want the fruity banana a warmer ferm temp might help. In the past I've used WLP351 for a hefe and didn't like it. It had loads of clove essence and very little balance, hence the reason I switched off to the WLP300 strain.

Yeast-forward beers require more attention paid to the yeast.

Use a pitch rate calculator.
Pitch around 0.2-0.3M/mL/°P

Add yeast nutrient with zinc, like Wyeast beer nutrient.

Don't aerate.

The temperature schedule I've used with success is a little complicated: Start at 62 until you have lots of clove, quickly ramp to 72 until you have lots of banana, drop to 65 to preserve the esters.

I use WLP300. Haven't used 3068.

For more bready/malty sweetness character, consider adding a little CaraHell.

Last edited:
Back