WLP 838 or 860 Warm fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d like to brew a Helles, but have no temp control. Has anyone tried this?
What are you estimating your ambient temp will be at time of primary? That will determine your best options. Keep in mind active primary will generate some higher temps internally depending on a few factors.

What are you estimating your ambient temp will be at time of primary? That will determine your best options. Keep in mind active primary will generate some higher temps internally depending on a few factors.
I live in Southern California, so it’s going to start warming up. Currently temps averaging low 70’s in the house during the day and low 60’s in the morning. We do have AC, but usually keep it set around 78F.
I have a batch of Pilsner fermenting. I pitched Imperial Global L13 at 69F. It got up to the low 70’s during high fermentation. Now, with a wet towel wrapped around it and a ceiling fan moving air, the FV has been sitting in the mid to low 60’s.
That said, I was originally planning this Helles recipe with Lutra kveik. Then I stared thinking that maybe I could get away with using a more traditional Helles yeast if I can keep it in the low 70’s. I have one batch planned before this one, so might be late May early June before I get to the Helles.

I have no experience with lager strains above 66f, but I know some are doing this “under pressure “. This method basically has your wort fermenting under a few psi and this causes the yeast to behave as though they are in a cooler environment or something to that extent. I do not have any experience with pressure fermentation nor have I looked into the science behind it.

I personally would not recommend taking lager yeast under traditional methods above 65 or so unless you’re will to gamble on off flavors especially with a delicate style lime Helles. If temp control isn’t an option I might look into pressure fermentation or at least study up on it. I tried lutra once at room temp to see what the hype was about and was not impressed.

lutra made beer but it wasn’t as clean for me like so many others seem to say. Maybe it was my fault.

I have no experience with lager strains above 66f, but I know some are doing this “under pressure “. This method basically has your wort fermenting under a few psi and this causes the yeast to behave as though they are in a cooler environment or something to that extent. I do not have any experience with pressure fermentation nor have I looked into the science behind it.

I personally would not recommend taking lager yeast under traditional methods above 65 or so unless you’re will to gamble on off flavors especially with a delicate style lime Helles. If temp control isn’t an option I might look into pressure fermentation or at least study up on it. I tried lutra once at room temp to see what the hype was about and was not impressed.
I wouldn’t have tried a lager yeast that warm but heard about an experiment on the Brulosophy podcast… https://brulosophy.com/2022/05/09/e...ture-imperial-yeast-l13-global-in-a-festbier/

I wouldn’t have tried a lager yeast that warm but heard about an experiment on the Brulosophy podcast… https://brulosophy.com/2022/05/09/e...ture-imperial-yeast-l13-global-in-a-festbier/
If you don’t mind experimenting then grab a w strain yeast & go for it. I need to correct myself I looked back at my notes and fermented 34/70 at 67 a few times to see what happened and it didn’t seem quite as smooth but wasn’t bad. It was a Dark lagers if that makes a difference.

Back