Will this fix my over carbed beer batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
I added 5 onces of sugar to a 3 gallon batch. This is day 10 of carbing and 2 bottles have already popped (not broke, but the cap). A mess all over the beer cabinet !!!

It's a brown ale all grain batch. Here's my plan:

Put all 35 bottles in a cooler with ice for 1 hr, then take each one and ease the cap up to get some C02 off, then re-crimp the cap, and let them continue on for 1 month.......

Will the beer still be ok, or am I screwed either way ?

Get a HUGE pair of blue jeans. Tie 1 leg.

Dump all of the beer into the tied leg and bottle it as it slowly drips out, then throw away the blue jeans and all of the beers.

Wait! Your plan sounds better.

^

but really, is the beer screwed, or if I fix this by releasing that excess gas will it still turn out ok ? A cookie brown ale, 4.6% ABV.

It will be OK.

Sounds like you might have bottled early though.

Chill one way down for 24 hours and test it. Just pour it in a glass.

Let us know if it is flat, carbed, overcarbed.

If it is flat, your caps are not on good.

If it is carbed ok, then chill them all down and drink them.

Overcarbed, then go with your plan.

Your plan should work just fine. Put a quarter on top of the cap before you use the bottle opener, that will keep it from kinking the top of the cap.

Done & Done. A 1 hour ice bath, then 32 bottles were gently pried and recrimped, once the excess C02 fizzed out, I saw all the carbonation from the bottle bottoms quickly rising, I then recrimped each bottle.....Hopefully I got enough C02 out. I reboxed them, and left them in a cooler spot. I'll check back on them in 1 month..........

^

Update: I went back @ 9pm, and got a little more C02 off........Really overcarbed !!! Now, I'll let them be..........Twice should do the trick.....A guy on youtube said 4, but I think that's overkill.........

Latest posts

Back