Will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB_Brewing2

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get a used one like this (same max. 760 CFM and overall design) for much less than this advertised price:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AB51CUG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I do ten gallon electric brews (5500W with 60 minute boils) in my garage and am hoping it would remove almost all boil-off when placed at 30" above my 20" diameter BK. The grease filters are removable and I was thinking of marrying this to 4" or 6" PVC pipe with a through-the wall vent cap. Would this be a bust or a bargain?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 8inch 800 CFM inline fan for another hobby of mine and when its running, the room develops negative force and makes it hard to close the door!

If this fan is anywhere near as strong as mine, I'd gather you'd be just fine...

I did some quick back of envelope calcs, and @ 2 gal/hr boil off, you would be getting something on the order of 15 cu ft/min boil off. That hood @ 760 cfm should be more than adequate, even if the exhaust being pulled is only 5% water vapor.

Brew on :mug:

Not sure how to calculate CFM required but for safety reasons it is very important that you make sure there is makeup air for ventilation when exhasting this much air..
Ventilation without can create a negative pressure causing backdrafts of carbon monoxide from furnaces etc, effectively poisoning you.

Thanks folks! Really appreciate your thoughts. I think I'll pick this up and hang it over the BK. I don't have any combustion sources in the detached garage so I think I should be OK with just the air coming in around the overhead doors.

Dang, that's looks pretty nice. I might go for that in my garage ebrewery. Let us know what you think once you get it installed. PICs would be fantastic.

My original plan to use a ready-made kitchen exhaust hood has been scrapped. After a little more investigation...I found that HVAC people tend to suggest it is more favorable to pull the air (water vapor) rather than push it. Also read more about the "squirrel cage" fan found in kitchen exhaust hoods vs. an in-line fan in duct work with the in-line seemingly more favorable for this home brewing application. So...I purchased a Vortex 6" in-line fan which I will mount near the exhaust vent on the wall. Using insulated duct attached to a 50 qt salad bowl suspended above my BK will serve as the entry point for the boil-off. Run will be just less than eight feet.

Really appreciate all the input.

Back