Might these work to vent electric brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy2Ventullo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Need some help in setting up basement for electric brewing. As ventilation is important I am trying to figure best/cheapest way to vent moisture. I am using 10 gallon 5500 watt Blichmann HLT and Boil Kettle (one or the other at any one time) and calculated i need minimum 315 CFM. The vents would be wall mounted above table and can vent directly out the wall to outside. Would two of these units possibly work (each is 120-400 CFM)? Also would having single unit that can bring in outside makeup air be better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E6LAUS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Need some help in setting up basement for electric brewing. As ventilation is important I am trying to figure best/cheapest way to vent moisture. url]

IMO, the best cheapest way to ventilate a basement for electric brewing is to temporarily put a fan in an open basement window, perhaps open a second widow for some make up air if needed.

I also put another small fan blowing upward at the ceiling near the kettle to disperse the steam.

Already owned the fans so I gave it a try, works well so I haven't felt the need to build hoods and vents...

Perhaps if I was brewing everyday I build a more glamorous ventilation system, but setting up a couple fans only takes a few minutes...

Jmo

IMO, the best cheapest way to ventilate a basement for electric brewing is to temporarily put a fan in an open basement window, perhaps open a second widow for some make up air if needed.

I also put another small fan blowing upward at the ceiling near the kettle to disperse the steam.

Already owned the fans so I gave it a try, works well so I haven't felt the need to build hoods and vents...

Perhaps if I was brewing everyday I build a more glamorous ventilation system, but setting up a couple fans only takes a few minutes...

Jmo
I agree, It works well for me.

I built a foam board "hood" over my widow that I brew in front of and put a dual 12" window fan in the top section of the window (inside the hood) works great..

Perhaps your looking for something a little more elegant to match the Blichmanns?

If that's the case, I think one of the Broan hoods linked above may work if your boil off is kept n the lower side, and your duct run is short.

I would mount the hood as high as possible hoping to avoid condensation. Imo, I would prefer the hood miss some of the steam rather than be a condensate mess.

Just run the fan after the boil for a bit if some steam gets away.

I don't feel you need the hood for HLT or MLT, perhaps run the fan if you don't like the sweet smell of malt mash lol

Oh, kinda like a mausoleum? That's nice of you...

I dont understand your comment? Some kind of negative sarcasm?
Its a hood to capture the steam and the fans pull it out of the hood. foamboard is light and rigid however there are other inexpensive alternatives that might work better like coroplast. The advantage would be a person could build a vent hood to whatever exact size they need. This would be a budget minded approach and not really something I would expect someone to show off with blichmann equipment. The OP mentioned a budget and believe it or not these can be printed or painted however one likes. I brew in a spare bedroom and this is very effective at keeping the steam off the ceiling.

I am using 10 gallon 5500 watt Blichmann HLT and Boil Kettle (one or the other at any one time) and calculated i need minimum 315 CFM. The vents would be wall mounted above table and can vent directly out the wall to outside. Would two of these units possibly work (each is 120-400 CFM)? Also would having single unit that can bring in outside makeup air be better?]

Your wattage and cfm numbers look solid. Although I think they work best when using a ventilation hood positioned with the bottom of the hood 33 inches above the top of the kettle. As for makeup air, unless you have a large door or window to allow an adequate flow of outside air, a fan would be a big help.

I brewed in my basement for years using a fan blowing out in one window and a fan blowing air in in another. With the basement door shut this setup did a good job in removing boil vapors. During the cold Northeast winters we had to dress warm because of the large intake of unheated air from outside.

One of the comments on Amazon complained about condensation forming on the underside of the hood when making soup. I would think that brewing would be a lot worse than soup; the pictures show a lot of angles and surfaces for condensation to collect. A standard condensate hood is probably a better choice.

You can always check with local metal shops and have them fabricate something for you combined with a vortex fan. It looked great and worked for me as I didn’t have a window by where we brewed. Pics are in my signature.

Latest posts

Back