Wild Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
Anyone know much about this ARL Southern Lager strain from Bootleg Biology? I assume it’s a wild lager yeast sourced from Virginia from reading the description on the site. Got some in the fridge wondering if anyone has any experience or tips.

I know of at least one discussion here about it because I participated. I've used it several times. Attenuation rates can vary but it usually destroys whatever you give it. Like up to 95% attenuation. It is pretty clean but can definitely be temperamental. Here's the link to the past discussion.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/bootleg-biology-arl.726378/

Ask if you've got any specific questions. It's weird, but fun!

Thanks! I was wondering if I could get by using my typical lager fermentation routine for beers around 1.052 & under. Please let me know what you think. Goes as follows.

Pitch yeast in 58f degree wort
Ferment at 55f for 7 days
Ramp up 2 degrees a day until 63-64f
Hold at 63-64f for 3-4 days before kegging.

No problem.That looks like a very solid schedule. I'm not sure you'd have any trouble as is. I can offer my experiences and you can take it from there.

I usually had it struggle at anything at/under 55F. Typically dropping a few SG points over as many days. When bumped up a few degrees it moved faster and dropped to basically FG in a couple more days. That happened to me multiple times. That person in the post I linked also had it move slowly and sporadically. It just seems to keep it's own variable schedule and isn't super predictable like most domesticated yeasts. That was with them bumping up the temp to low 60s too. Attenuation is also...sporadic. I've never had a yeast range from 68% to 95% attenuation. It's a little nuts. That just makes it harder to predict.

Bare minimum, I'd keep an eye on it and be prepared to raise the temp and/or extend the base fermentation to make sure you get where you want to be.

Cheers! Good luck and report back if you can. It's a fun yeast. It just keeps you on your toes.

I wonder if after several repitches of the original yeast if it finds a rhythm and behaves more civilized?

I wonder if after several repitches of the original yeast if it finds a rhythm and behaves more civilized?
I thought the same! This behavior was still happening after a few repitches and streaking out to confirm purity. I think it would probably stabilize more over time but might take patience and selection as it drifts under pressure. Maybe to become something more civilized :) I haven't used this in a while but would like to pick it up and play with it again. If you remember, let me know how this comes out.

I thought the same! This behavior was still happening after a few repitches and streaking out to confirm purity. I think it would probably stabilize more over time but might take patience and selection as it drifts under pressure. Maybe to become something more civilized :) I haven't used this in a while but would like to pick it up and play with it again. If you remember, let me know how this comes out.
Might be a few brews down the road but If I don’t chicken out I will report back👍

I actually got a couple of strains from Bootleg the other is CUL Czech Unpasteurized Lager. The CUL strain will be up first for a Tmave Pivo. I believe the source is from unfiltered Budvar most likely.

I actually got a couple of strains from Bootleg the other is CUL Czech Unpasteurized Lager. The CUL strain will be up first for a Tmave Pivo. I believe the source is from unfiltered Budvar most likely.
The pale Czech lager I have on right now was brewed with CUL from Bootleg! I agree the description makes it sound like Budvar. I pitched cool and then spunded and let the temp rise as the fermentation got underway. It took the beer from 1.049 to 1.012 pretty quickly and then leveled off. Great flavor and made for a beautiful beer. Dropped very clear after a few weeks of aging. I was just telling my wife I need to build up a starter from the yeast I harvested and do a dark with it :mug:

Back